Der Führerwagen is FINALLY sold - Suggestions for replacement invited - Caution: No Diesels!

Junkman

And what's the advantage?

It makes more sense than everything else, within your parameters.

I was being British and sticking by the rules.

Espace V6 would be more satisfying and create a talking point, though.

What's wrong with this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-LAGUNA-PRIVILEGE-3-0-5-DOOR-AUTO-PETROL/222962554168

s-l1600.jpg

I mean, apart from everything?

Perhaps this is somewhere between the two? Definitely would make a better thread than a Volvo.

Price: average

Transmission : automated

Cylinders : 8

Power : lots

Construction: iloominum

Risk factor : explosive

Prestige : brand new car as all a8s from 1996 to 2018 look pretty much the same.

$_86.JPG

https://www.gumtree.com/p/audi/audi-s8-4.2-quattro-v8-a8-open-to-offers-or-px/1302477874

Price: average

Transmission : automated

Cylinders : 8

Power : lots

Construction: iloominum

Risk factor : explosive

Prestige : brand new car as all a8s from 1996 to 2018 look pretty much the same.

$_86.JPG

https://www.gumtree.com/p/audi/audi-s8-4.2-quattro-v8-a8-open-to-offers-or-px/1302477874

Way out of budget.

This is more like it, no?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1992-R-PLATE-AUDI-V8-4-2-QUATTRO-AUTO-PETROL/263650715951

s-l1600.jpg

WCPGW?

Visit the nearest advertised Type 44 and C4 4-ring 5-pot and do the same with an E34/32 6-cylinder and make yourself a picture and have a chat with the owner. Even the worst examples will show their built quality, far away from modern standards. My 520i was literally ridden into the ground but I'm sure it will still live on in Africa.

post-17414-0-20229800-1528845973_thumb.jpegpost-17414-0-56212500-1528846197_thumb.jpeg

The two cheapest, best built, most reliable and profitable cars I've owned in the last couple of years

Price: low

Country of origin : trump

Cylinders: 8

Transmission: automated

Construction : dubious

Fuel consumption : breaching eu standards

$_86.JPG

https://www.gumtree.com/p/jeep/-jeep-grand-cherokee-4.7-v8-the-one-you-really-want-/1302386369

This is THE ONE YOU REALLY WANT!!**** - it sez so on the advert.

Bear with me on this one, but dare I suggest a Vauxhall or Opel Omega?

Nope.

Sell him that red E34 for fucks sake.

We'll be here until bastard Xmas at this rate.

Are you in a hurry?

Der Führerwagen hasn't been picked up yet. At least until then, this topic stays warm.

Only after the wad was plonked down for some chod this will be over.

It'd be relatively unrealistic to hope for a real car at this stage, due to life currently being a bit shit.

Thus some post 1986 chod unfortunately needs to be considered,

the rofflage of which shall commence without further ado should normalcy ever resume,

which is somewhat unlikely in this time and age.

Having said that, don't start the revolution without me!

Sorry chaps, both were sold last summer, the Avant to a Fulham based Canadian hipster carpenter who couldn't afford a W124 to take his artisan furniture to country fairs.

The e34 to a young Russian banker to use on a banger rally, I felt real smug selling it for £700 after paying £250 a year before. It appeared on Car and Classic after the rally for £950! Must have been the competition history- although it hasn't been taxed or MoT'd since.

With these and the C Class that an African was sending to Zambia, the E Classes to Albania and Romania not to mention the e61 to Lithuania. I can't remember the last time I sold a car to an Englishman!

Very fragile 5-speed auto.

What does that even mean?

That it won't survive your average hamfisted bumpkin with no feeling for anything whatsoever?

You know the type, you ride in a car with them and realise after two minutes why it's at the garage every week.

I blatantly refuse to accept that any gearbox that has survived over a quarter century and 140k miles is anywhere near "fragile".

What does that even mean?

That it won't survive your average hamfisted bumpkin with no feeling for anything whatsoever?

You know the type, you ride in a car with them and realise after two minutes why it's at the garage every week.

I blatantly refuse to accept that any gearbox that has survived over a quarter century and 140k miles is anywhere near "fragile".

Also remember NOT to piss around changing gearbox oil. Sealed for life means just that - leave it alone, just top it up as and when. That A8 is too shoddy really but for a couple of hundred quid or so (scrap value) it would be an entertaining beast until it did shit itself. That could be one week or two years. Old cars can surprise you by just keeping going but the minute you start doing this 'maintenance' thing or 'refreshing' (what a fucking stupid phrase) the car knows it has you over a barrel. A car is your servant, not vice versa. Repair it when it needs it, not before.

Old cars can surprise you by just keeping going but the minute you start doing this 'maintenance' thing or 'refreshing' (what a fucking stupid phrase) the car knows it has you over a barrel. A car is your servant, not vice versa. Repair it when it needs it, not before.

That was exactly the attitude towards my E34! Bought in need of a car for 800€ with some recent extensive repair list done I decided to drive as it was. Lacquer peel galore, unknown milage, some rost but seemed solid. That thing lasted almost 4 more years without major things going wrong. On the other hand, they are really thankful cars.