Der Führerwagen is FINALLY sold - Suggestions for replacement invited - Caution: No Diesels!

Junkman

In 1994 I was between Company cars so bought the black 280CE as a stop gap. In 1996 I changed jobs to one without a company car, I liked the black one so much I bought the white one. I used the white one as my daily for 3 years including maxing it out in Germany at over 120 mph, good times.

I do like a /8.

There used to be a rum old Boy called John Billias, an eccentric Polish geezer in West London who did a lot of classic Merc stuff. He had a pale blue 1970 220 Coupe, fairly rotten even then but saveable.

This era of Mercedes was epic, Pontons, Fintails up to and including W123. A 2.8 BMW would have a cable from the throttle to the pedal. The equivalent era Benz would have a very expensive and complex series of levers and balljoints. Very odd engineering but lovely to behold.

I would say one more and include the W124s, but I would say that I am on my fifth W124!

See I never really liked the 124. The E34 just did everything better imo. W123 230CE Coupe though, four speed auto and the blacktop engine - just unique. The 280 was too thirsty but the '81 onward 230E was just right.

See I never really liked the 124. The E34 just did everything better imo. W123 230CE Coupe though, four speed auto and the blacktop engine - just unique. The 280 was too thirsty but the '81 onward 230E was just right.

In the late 1996 my boss got a Mercedes C230K manual company pool car and to prove it was a pool car I was made to use it for business, truth is I liked the days better when it was not free and I had to take the old W123 280TE.

I agree the E34 was a great car, my boss had a 530i Auto six followed by a 525 diesel touring and  530i V8 Manual touring and I drove them all a fair bit.

post-4787-0-25381500-1522436407_thumb.jpg

Get it running and hoon it with gay abandon come this May.

Makes sense. I mean, you'll never see a real live policeman on the Queen's highway again, so as long as you don't hoof it past any speed cameras you should be fine. Until it snaps in half at the first corner you come to, or if you hit the brakes a bit hard etc.

Despite recent experience, I would have another. With a cylinder count divisible by three and two, in a straight line.

Quite,

mine is “hors du combat” at the moment. But I’d buy another as a replacement tomorrow if I had to.

There are certainly “better” cars. But it has a presence and gravitas, comfort and looks I can’t better in my price range. I like the looks of the bmw 635 CSIs but not the image or comfort.

The w123 coupes went out of my price range a few years ago.