Cars....

purplebargeken

I've had around 400 cars over a period of roughly 37 years, have had most makes and most styles.

Walking home today in the rain had me contemplating this. 

What have I not had that might be okay to have at some point. Nothing clearly classic, more your modern everyday stuff.

Perhaps a Focus. Never had one of those, very popular and reasonably okay.

BINI, I like the styling of the earlier one's. Yeah, why not.

A Vectra, mate has one and he loves it. Looks decent enough.

A Mercedes of some kind. Very popular round here, another for the list.

Puma, how could I have missed that one off the list.

All very 'run of the mill'. Fairly autoshite I think.

The puma was a great little car back in 1999 when it came out and their still a bit of fun today but they've long been superseded by even a modest hot hatch. The racing model is nice but silly money.

Focii are great cars, solid drive and really entertaining handling etc if you go for the more powerful models, the others are really good functioning cars but not terribly exciting.

I love mercs and can highly recommend them IF you know someone who works on cars cheaply or can do the work yourself otherwise a big bill can wipe one out. I've still got a hankering for a frogeye (forget the model,w201???) Estate 320 CDI with all the boys on it and AMG slabs, still a lovely looking car.

Bini I'm also a fan of and I've done an engine swap on one, nothing too criminal and all really well thought out from a mechanics point of view.

My gaps-to-be-filled come from technical and styling features out of the ordinary.

pre-war

side valve

two stroke

straight six

more than 6 cylinders

bench front seat

electric drive

Well a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost will fulfil four of those criteria. All you have to do then is find a hybrid powered by a 2-stroke V8 and your life will be complete.

Y0 everyone slates them because Vauxhall but the Astra Coupe is really overlooked. The 1.6 is too underpowered and the Turbo is like a flighty racehorse but find a well kept 1.8 or 2.2 with a decent interior and I promise that you wont be disappointed. They are revvy, willing and on decent tyres and suspension, handle fluid and solidly.

Bertone* styling and becoming scarce, even my new daily is newer than my Coupe now.

Its just that stigma of 'I have an Astra' thats hard to get over, especially when somebody asks you what you drive.

A half decent one is about £500.

I still really fancy a Pug 106 Electric...challenge is finding one at a sensible price. We had one at work, and it would do me perfectly for 95% of my day to day journeys!

Other must-haves for me are: something with more than four cylinders, a V8 (Rover P6 or SD-1 please), an early Cherokee XJ, and something huge and stupid like a coach or Alvis Stalwart.

The Cherokee is the one which keeps stubbornly evading me. I must have nearly bought about a dozen of them by now!

I realised that with the exception of the Merc, our own Billy Cavcraft could likely furnish me with the entire range of cars in fairly short order. How convenient.

FTFY

Also, have a try of an early BINI if you can. The one I've got is great fun. Not the fastest thing, but fun round corners.