Festival of the Unexceptional on Saturday 14th July 2018

Six-cylinder

Couldn't get to the FoD's but met a few from here, including Panhard65 who got me interested in Monet Goyon's (and importing shitey bikes from Europe). Was going to say hello Bramz7,  but you were engaged in trying to open the boot of the 164 and I had no suggestions (well, helpful ones) to get it unlocked.

FotU was excellent, remembering how many of the cars there, members of my family ran the same models back in the 70' 80's and 90's.

Weekend topped of with a visit to Santa Pod for the Dragstalgia event, where I got to see the bikes and cars I watched run up the strip in the 70's and 80's running the quarter mile once again.

Nostalgia is sometimes well underated!! 

Agh sorry about that! I was hoping no one else knew what I was attempting to do...Good thing I didn't take the positive battery lead off otherwise even the RAC guy wouldn't have been able to help.

Overall, a great day out (aside from the bloody sunburn). Really enjoyable time at the Festival and at the Field of Dreams chatting to others, and scaring myself shitless on the moped. I would like to thank Mr and Mrs Six-Cylinder for hosting us at the FoD, Flat4Alfa for the headlights (and the spin in the 5 Series), Ghosty for picking me up on the way in (after leaving the 75 in a lay-by about 2 miles away from the Festival), Catsinthewelder for giving me a lift back out to the car and everyone for being such great company for the day. It was a pleasure to meet all of you, and I just wish that there was time to stick around for more. Hopefully I shall bump into you all again in the not to distant future.

Was that you following me along the A421 through Milton Keynes?  I could see a silver R75 a few cars back all the way along that stretch.

Good to meet you Dave. Sorry I didn't get to do a video on your Anglia. Left my phone mount at home! Just about managed a vid on the Maxi with my phone cable tied to the sun visor! How very HubNut...

No worries. We were pushed for time a bit anyway as I wanted to get the van loaded up for home. Not much use doing a test drive with it loaded. :P    Always another chance later.

Thanks to those that have posted all the photo's,it looked a splendid event. A high percentage of highly polished cars which I don't completely understand,i prefer the Autoshite style of daily driver standard.

I feel a bit like that when I look at someone elses car. I love the patina and the feeling of honesty about daily drivers. But when I start tinkering on my own cars I want them to look as nice as possible. So I do "restore" a bit more than others but never concourse. I'm not that fastidious.

Ians Invacar is a perfect example. But if I owned it I'd be too tempted to "restore" just to have more stuff to do. Perhaps I just need more cars, but alas no storage  :P

I had a great weekend - many thanks to Chris and Claire for their hospitality and for entrusting me with their Metro!

It was also good to catch up with so many shiters after missing Scotoshite in June. Also thanks to DW for letting me drive TWC and Brodders his Rover 75 - the 75 bought back good memories whilst TWC was, well, slightly terrifying!

I would have stayed longer on the Sunday but for the heat, plus I could feel a bit of hay fever coming on - note to self - pack Piriton next time...

I can recommend traveling cross country during the afternoon of a World Cup final - it only took 1 hour 40 minutes to get from the FoD to West Cheltenham, a new record - and I wasn’t pushing on either.

Renault 11 Electronic. Be still my beating heart!

post-23014-0-11685100-1531778853_thumb.jpg

post-23014-0-78662100-1531779097_thumb.jpg

post-23014-0-93751200-1531779290_thumb.jpg

Great stuff. Were there any Hondas present?

There was, parked at the side of the field, what appeared to be a Honda N800 coupe next to the RAC van. Typically it was the one car I didn't manage to get a clear photo of....

Photos post continued, 

again many thanks to everybody for an excellent weekend.

Much fun was had by all who drove TWC and the JCB

post-4555-0-98162300-1531778002_thumb.jpg

Goodnight Ian

post-4555-0-77910300-1531778128_thumb.jpg

In the morning the Maxi returned,  have a poncy Hubcap photo

post-4555-0-52839100-1531778233_thumb.jpg

After an enjoyable morning nattering and tinkering it was time to go.  The Mighty Dacia was in fine fettle and with 4 decent tyres 120kmph was easily achieved up the M40 before it started to vibrate.  The same couldn't be said for this machine.

post-4555-0-36645900-1531778442_thumb.jpg

Which bucked and shook like an absolute twat.  I couldn't really expect much better from a machine with no suspension and very little seat padding being driven flat out around a bumpy field.  I looked out for Ian but I think he had gone by the time I spotted his text though it was hard to see much.

post-4555-0-31016300-1531778686_thumb.jpg

Between transmission belt problems and my inexperiance we didn't do too well but had lots of fun.  I was sore this morning though.

Thanks to those that have posted all the photo's,it looked a splendid event. A high percentage of highly polished cars which I don't completely understand,i prefer the Autoshite style of daily driver standard.

That's a fair point.  Maybe next year I'll attend in my Cavalier with wobbed up arches and gaffer tape holding on the door mirrors.  There was a lovely Jag XK120/40 (not sure which) in attendance with DNP patina, which was nice to see but I'm surprised they let him register considering the nature of the event.

The Renault 11 Electronic was my favourite of the day, and that's saying something as there was so much quality shite on display.

Let's have a write-up, shall we?

The journey down was uneventful - I set Google Maps to 'avoid motorways' and had a leisurely jaunt down featuring a considerable amount of Watling Street, listening to a rather eclectic mixture of Radio 4 and Soulwax. Completely uneventful aside for getting stuck in a surprise rainstorm somewhere north of Birmingham, where the Rover decided to try and pivot around its rear end coming out of a junction - cheap tyres on the front and new Avons on the rear, work the rest out for yourselves.

The journey took about four hours, maybe a bit more, including a half hour break where I stopped in Buxton for supplies. I forgot to pay for parking while I was there so I'd better not have got a ticket. Car park didn't seem to have cameras anyway.

No photos were taken that night, mainly as there was nothing really to take pictures of, and it was a bit dark.

The next day we rose early, headed off to chez Silver, and the Festival after that.

43455086081_2acfe0bc0e_b.jpgIMG_1091 by max_burton, on Flickr

This photo could have been taken in the '70s...

Some personal highlights of FOTU:

41647199680_497d7a1e93_b.jpgIMG_1129 by max_burton, on Flickr

old Fords (what's that Z4 doing there?)

41647198200_bed18f38c8_b.jpgIMG_1130 by max_burton, on Flickr

Whizzkid!

42550577725_48f375970c_b.jpgIMG_1131 by max_burton, on Flickr

43455079891_3e7617282e_b.jpgIMG_1133 by max_burton, on Flickr

Contrasting specs. I thought the beige car was a Gentry at first, but no, STDT :-D

41647193940_e24145bbcb_b.jpgIMG_1135 by max_burton, on Flickr

106 with a mismatched door.

43455077521_598fb75a3a_b.jpgIMG_1139 by max_burton, on Flickr

41647191280_af74298f9b_b.jpgIMG_1150 by max_burton, on Flickr

I have no idea why Hustlers are a thing, but they're fantastic.

41647189010_f59a1a757d_b.jpgIMG_1164 by max_burton, on Flickr

42550567995_40d0e3e874_b.jpgIMG_1168 by max_burton, on Flickr

This ex-Bramz R8 216GSI was hideously ropey. Blue leather interior is extremely rare, though.

41647186390_03bd83183c_b.jpgIMG_1169 by max_burton, on Flickr

This photo does a good job of encapsulating some of the show's variety.

I missed out on the AS group photo as I had no idea what was going on, I'd been off nattering with clayts450 about various things.

After the show it was back to the FoD for more messing about with various conveyances. The Invacar is a fun little thing to drive - I'd hate to drive it at speed though! Equally, Six-cylinder's field moped was absolutely terrifying to drive (when it wasn't having fuelling issues or wires falling off). I think I'll stick to cars! 

Come the end of Saturday, I was thinking of heading home, but as I was thinking of leaving it turned out there was only myself, catsinthewelder, and DBrown1967 left in the field. Combined with the fact there was still a decent amount of beer left (nobody knew how to spile a keg, it turned out - Blind Trevor to the rescue), it seemed rude to leave, so we nattered on into the night.

Come the next morning, more FoD antics ensued, more rides in the Invacar, the Cylinders' S2 Daimler, and the Ferguson tractor! 

42739133234_3c5fe263dc_b.jpgIMG_1182 by max_burton, on Flickr

The Daimler was an absolute dream to drive. I think I'll definitely be buying an XJ of some sort in the future if/when circumstances permit.

29584505358_4dca450027_b.jpgIMG_1202 by max_burton, on Flickr

White car morning.

29584504558_002f51a096_b.jpgIMG_1207 by max_burton, on Flickr

FoD at its finest. Hairnet seemed to prefer driving the tractor in reverse for some reason.

41647204130_ab57fa20ac_b.jpgIMG_1209 by max_burton, on Flickr

AnthonyG in the Invacar, and Slowsilver (who was anything but slow!) on the tractor. 

I left leaving the FoD rather late - I had work at 4pm (though I could arrive any time up to 4:30), and didn't leave the FoD until 12:30. I absolutely bombed it up the M1, but still had people passing me all the way up so hopefully it won't be me that gets a speeding ticket. I had to stop a couple of times as it got so hot in the car I was almost passing out at the wheel, which was nasty. I tried opening the windows, however as a result the Rover's headlining completely collapsed, obscuring my rear view. I didn't even have time to try and fix it, and I had to keep the windows closed after that as bits of decaying foam started blowing around and getting in my eyes. 

Further to this I had to use the horn on some dolt that pulled out on me, and it cut out, and stopped working altogether. I think it's just a fuse or relay that's blown up, I'll have to investigate.

When I got off the M1 at long last, I rang my dad and told him to get my Brompton and work stuff out. I did, and blitzed over Woodhead - luckily not getting stuck too badly it being a Sunday, and got to my house for 4pm. Ran in, picked up my work stuff and fucked off again, and got to work at 4:25. Perfect.

I got home around midnight, and slept for 15 hours.

Ace weekend, 12/10 would do again.

Sorry I have not seen any crisps, or at least by the time you get here Mrs6c and myself will have eaten the evidence!

To say those salt and pepper kettle chips are quite moreish is an understatement. They're like heroin to a junkie!