Sikaflex

Bren

I fitted a fibreglass boot spoiler to my audi two years ago. Made from finest Lithuanian fibreglass, bodyshops were reluctant to go near it and quouted far in excess of what I paid for it. In the end I sprayed it myself with cans and bonded it with sikaflex.

Sadly it looks shabby now - the finish has weathered badly - I have used rattle cans for thirty years and can get a decent finish, I think the construction of the spoiler is the issue rather than the prep.

I am thinking of removing it completely but dont want to damage the boot lid. Has anybody removed anything that has been bonded with sikaflex?

Please don't buy any fibreglass body mouldings of the tinterweb - they are generally very poor and the trade won't entertain them.

I hate to say it but glueing fibreglass spoilers on rarely works out well longer term, as demonstrated by countless 17/18 yr-olds in deprived former industrial towns

I say buy another bootlid in the right colour, or ask a bodyshop to sort it (including respraying the bootlid after they smash off the spoiler and ‘mechanically remove’ the Sikaflex)

I successfully repaired a broken clutch pedal linkage on a van (think ball in socket joint thing like a gear linkage) using sikaflex to rebuild the worn out innards of the ball joint

It set irrevocably solid

You’re fucked.

I had formed this opinion myself given that it is used to hold windscreens in place.

I had formed this opinion myself given that it is used to hold windscreens in place.

But windscreens are replaced by cutting through the PU adhesive with a sharp snap blade knife without damaging the paint.

Then use thinners to clean off the remaining PU sealant.

If it still looks like a dogs dinner you can still take the boot lid to a body shop but it will be cheaper to fix since they don't have to cut a spoiler off.

Tri chloro ethylene shifts it iirc, but it’s been illegal to buy for a few years. Someone mypay have a small stock ‘for personal use’ if you are lucky. They also changed the formulation of sikaflex a while back and the new one is even harder to get off.

I use Sikaflex and Tigerseal for the Irmscher parts on my 2 Vauxhalls. After 10 years theyre still on solid. A few edges needed stuck back down after frost got a hold but in the main theyre going nowhere.

Can you not just mask around it and repaint? I am going to do that with the lip spoiler on the boot of my Astra Coupe.

Removing a spoiler stuck on with sikaflex takes about 15 minutes. Ive done it to all the Omegas I dismantled for parts. You will be left with a bead of sikaflex stuck to the bootlid though, so not sure it will help.

Removal method is to use a wallpaper / paint scraper and tap it with a hammer along the seam between bootlid and spoiler. In your case you would need to be careful to keep it away from the bootlid and in the middle of the bead of sikaflex.