Mini tyre compressors... Any good?

They_all_do_that_sir

I've got a really shit one (think it's the lovely Silver line) that was mega cheap from Amazon.

It blew the fuse on the ST trying to use the plug so I cut it off and just stick the wires on the battery.

Obviously it's not the best but it does the job and at about £6 who cares of it brakes saying that I had the last one about 5/6 years.

I had one that was okay but I ended up fitting a fan in the end because it would overheat far too quickly.

Ran okay but the big end mashed itself up so bad that the conrod fell off the crank.

Turned it round but it had about 1/16" of cheap pot-metal left and it then completely fell to bits.

No worse than I would expect for £8 from Wilkos

Phil

I had a Halfords one my FIL gave me 20 years ago, when that packed up about 3 years ago I got a Ring one which lasted until last year when a connecting rod inside it snapped. I then got another (slightly newer) Halfords one from a boot fair for about £2. So my advice wait for the new boot fair season (most will start over Easter) and get a bargain!

Has anyone got one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Ring-RAC610-12v-Analogue-Air-Compressor-Wheel-Tyre-Inflator-Pump-PSI-BAR/332248652560?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

As my 15 year old argos special is starting to leak at the pipe, guess its probably perished. The Ring version in the link is only £12.50 delivered, seems cheap.

I have had this one for the cars, bikes and footballs for a few years:

post-24545-0-73380700-1522268466_thumb.jpeg

I have had no problems with it, don't think I paid that much for it though?

Having a Discovery 2, everyone will know that they leak everything and that includes air from the rims or tyres so the inflator pumper upper gets used a lot. For bigger things I have a full blown compressor. The newer models have some sort of removable tyre pressure gauge.

Has anyone got one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Ring-RAC610-12v-Analogue-Air-Compressor-Wheel-Tyre-Inflator-Pump-PSI-BAR/332248652560?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

As my 15 year old argos special is starting to leak at the pipe, guess its probably perished. The Ring version in the link is only £12.50 delivered, seems cheap.

They are £10.95 on Amazon. I got one about a year ago, it does the job reliably.

The best feature on any of these compressors is the ones that have a digital pressure gauge and a settable target. That way you can plug it in and just leave it until it stops at the right pressure. Useful, as these compressors are not fast.

My little Tesco one does that, I think it's about £12-15. Works really well and to be fair the guage was about right as well.

A few years ago I bought a Ring RAC635 (similar but not quite the same as Matt's), which seemed to be the Auto Express favourite at the time. Not the cheapest, but has a built in torch/beacon thing, digital pressure gauge/preset (selectable psi/bar/kPa - who uses kPa anyway?), and has a screw-on valve connector, which seems more robust than the lever-type my previous pump had. Has been fine so far.

A few years ago I bought a Ring RAC635 (similar but not quite the same as Matt's), which seemed to be the Auto Express favourite at the time. Not the cheapest, but has a built in torch/beacon thing, digital pressure gauge/preset (selectable psi/bar/kPa - who uses kPa anyway?), and has a screw-on valve connector, which seems more robust than the lever-type my previous pump had. Has been fine so far.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 635 is virtually identical to the 600 inside as they have exactly the same features. The way the cable is wound around the back on the 635 is WAY better though so I would definitely recommend a 635 over a 600. With the 600 you have to slowly stuff the cable into a tiny cubby in the back.

You lot with your mechanical air things, honestly.

I use this

0427250_l.jpg

£6 from Wilko.

http://www.wilko.com/car-maintenance-products/double-barrel-foot-pump/invt/0427250

Yeah the dial's a bit plastic, but it does the job

I have a Halford Mini compressor, its about 15 years old or something. I find it a pain in the arse to plug in and its also a noisy bugger. Also no good to keep tyres inflated on cars that have been standing with no battery. The guage stopped working too so I was having to use a separate pressure tester with it.

I bought one of those 'Draper' ones from Ebay. Its quiet and blows up a tyre from flat in about 2 minutes. I am on my second one in a year though but for the price I cant complain!

• 1 year later...

I've got one of the round Michelin branded ones from a couple of posts above.  Works reasonably well and has a fan which helps keep it to a sane temperature...it really struggles with the 58/62psi the tyres on the van run at though.

Then I got a proper compressor in the garage and added a hose long enough to reach anywhere on the drive.

Oh...my...word.  I never appreciated how much of a faff portable compressors were.  Checking the tyres on all the cars (including Chris' company car abomination) honestly takes about five minutes... irrespective of if any tyres actually need topping off.

I'd not bother with a cordless one...you can absolutely guarantee that when you came to use it that the battery would be flat as a pancake.  At least you know a plug in one will work when you need it.

7 hours ago, Floatylight said:

Holy thread resurrection!

Been thinking about buying a cordless tyre inflator, anyone got any recommendations (or not)?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

pump.thumb.jpg.44213dda99086ce7655d93be5f58958e.jpg

Positives - can be used anywhere, will not run flat

Negatives - gauge will be crap (they always are)

I have a GM compressor I borrowed off my dad and haven't returned yet. It works well but I have blown the fag lighter fuse in the Gashqai using it. I use a 10 quid Ring footpump for most things, even putting tyres back on the bead after swapping them (top tip; take the valve insert out when you do this).

1 hour ago, tooSavvy said:

I just popped £6 for 'FlattzRus' chinkk....

81Sf9U18v4L._SL1500_.jpg

Due by courier 2day :)

We Will See

I have had one of those for years , its all plastic casing with gubbuns inside , a bit oil dont go amiss on the cogs and bore .....  does make a racket and hop around !

1 hour ago, MikeR said:

I have had one of those for years , its all plastic casing with gubbuns inside , a bit oil dont go amiss on the cogs and bore .....  does make a racket and hop around !

Yes..... I think the general spec (hose, cables, valve connector) will be a bit 'lightweight' on this. My duff pump is well made/robust... I'm going to transfer the cable/valve clamp + hose over and wire a lazy-betty rocker switch for on/off.

Jumping about may be resolved with an mdf base board (I have a Verry Big BOOT ;) )

I will post up my mods and a review of deafness! lol

• 3 weeks later...