Weird 1987 Sierra Sapphire video (FoMoCo)

The Reverend Bluejeans

Yeah, that's a weird video - quite well shot and clearly done for a purpose.

It looks like it's just near the end of the line, that guy is starting the engines for the first time hence the cranking. No idea why there's no bumpers, you'd think they'd want them on before moving stuff around to stop paint damage when parking.

I thought I saw a V6 in there somewhere.

The rubbing strips aren't on, but later on you see the holes for them to be fitted. Clearly they've just not made it to the "dull grey plastic department".

By the way - was there ever a Sapphire with grey lower body paint? There's a blue one in that vid, but I can't remember that being a thing.

I thought I saw a V6 in there somewhere.

The rubbing strips aren't on, but later on you see the holes for them to be fitted. Clearly they've just not made it to the "dull grey plastic department".

By the way - was there ever a Sapphire with grey lower body paint? There's a blue one in that vid, but I can't remember that being a thing.

Yes, LX and GLSi iirc. 

This will be stock news footage material, to cut segments from to go with whatever the story is at the time  - see things like 'Built in Britain' stickers, etc. Also, imagine the black and white footage towards the end, with a freeze frame after that little handheld move, and a scroll list of text spouting out facts about car sales, strikes, redundancies etc. etc. Classic news gathering stuff, right there. Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHun58mz3vI

Anyway, great Sierra footage. Miss my 1.8 LX Sapphire for just being a solid, no nonsense car, which despite being a CVH, didn't explode or anything.

35608219106_36e2b41bb6_b.jpg

I know it's 99% likely to be dead, so could anyone who checks please refrain from telling me the bad news, as I don't want to know...

Anyway, great Sierra footage. Miss my 1.8 LX Sapphire for just being a solid, no non

I know it's 99% likely to be dead, so could anyone who checks please refrain from telling me the bad news, as I don't want to know...

How do you feel about good news about that currently MOT'ed Sierra?

Hmmm, not keen!

The sweet spot for the Sierra was 1985/6, pre facelift with the 2.0iS, XR4x4,m the proper 2.0 Pinto with 32/36 Weber as well as stuff like the Laser II and of course the 3 door RS Cosworth. They'd sorted out the early gremlins (Kinnock Fins) but hadn't fucked with the original bodystyle. The second gen never felt as solidly put together as the last originals. 

The Sapphire was a backwards step really to keep the Cortina bores happy. The 2000E was the same price new as an E34 520i and everyone knew it just wasn't in the same league. Lesser Sierras were pretty good VFM. That Ford leather really is offensive as well.

Well I like a sapphire. Had about 20 sierras of all types and my fave was a Smokestone Black J reg 2.0 twincam Sapphire GLS. it was spotless and had a spoiler, sunroof, headlight wash etc... The business.

The downside was the plate which was J---CUM (cant remember the numbers)

It attracted a lot of sniggers and one day i was giving it a wash in the drive when a guy walked past and said "scrub as hard as you like mate but that cum isn't coming off"

I really, really want a sapphire. Weirdly for me, I’d love to have a high spec one in a nice colour - not a boggo in blue.

They’re fetching strong money already, so there are two trains of thought. 1- convince myself they weren’t that great anyway or 2- buy one before they’re 5 figures like every other OSF.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for a late one with tinted rear lights, body colour bits and the decent spec when they realised they'd got a warehouse full of electric window mechs, heated front windscreens and stuff.

Something like the "reissued" XR4i (didn't it go away for a while?)

Yeah, I'm a sucker for a late one with tinted rear lights, body colour bits and the decent spec when they realised they'd got a warehouse full of electric window mechs, heated front windscreens and stuff.

Something like the "reissued" XR4i (didn't it go away for a while?)

The only thing that lets the 91 facelift down in my opinion was the quality of the interiors, that huge plastic hood on the dash was ugly and the interior door pull handles were shite quality

I nearly had a gold y plate 5 door 2.3 ghia auto for £50 when I was 15 but my mum said 1 car was enough for me, at the time I had a 1275 metro to tinker with, we did only have a 1 car driveway at the time so I can see where she was coming from, I had to wait until I was 16 to get a sierra when we moved and I had sold the metro

I really, really want a sapphire. Weirdly for me, I’d love to have a high spec one in a nice colour - not a boggo in blue.

They’re fetching strong money already, so there are two trains of thought. 1- convince myself they weren’t that great anyway or 2- buy one before they’re 5 figures like every other OSF.

Not so valued in France...

https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1406891991.htm?ca=12_s

e64a780806c4748625672ee1aaa607110f3064d8

Ive had a lot of Sierras and Sapphires , favourites were mk1 2.3 V6s and pre facelift Saphs. So my fantasy Sierra would be an early GL Sapphire with a 2.4 V6 and 4 speed auto, in silver.

post-17414-0-79717800-1522183477_thumb.jpeg

This picture I found happens to be a German one with 14" steels and trims we never got on Sierras only LX Granadas, so this would be the perfect look for my 2.4 GL Sapphire.