3500 grand for a 405? Really?

Partridge

I went to bed owning some prime Autoshite and woke up owning a coveted classic.

Indeed. I felt the same way about my old SIIB forward control Land-Rover. It probably wasn't as quick, but in my mind it went from a crappy old leaky Land-Rover that looked like it should be in a hedge, to a coveted classic in no time at all.

So I sold it. I can't possibly own a vehicle worth actual cash money... I'd have to look after it and stuff.

I actually do look after my cars regardless.

In a way it's a nice feeling to know that all the money I've sunken into the 405 probably isn't lost,

but it is in breach with the total lunacy and gay abandon I hitherto applied to my motoring antics.

Apparently I now own three 'appreciating classics'. This feels weird. This world is weird.

It's occurred to me that the last of the fit for purpose vehicles produced are now knocking on for a quarter century old, and could very soon become scarce, garaging or even the shelter of a car port has become quite rare, cars have become as disposable as snotrags, the giffers of nexteryear may have no more treasure nestling behind an up and over door than washer, drier, bloated fridge /freezers. 5 years from now we might be all praying for a sub 5 bag 405. I think now is the time to buy the best you can afford bearing in mind it's possibly for the long haul.

It's occurred to me that the last of the fit for purpose vehicles produced are now knocking on for a quarter century old, and could very soon become scarce, 5 years from now we might be all praying for a sub 5 bag 405. I think now is the time to buy the best you can afford bearing in mind it's possibly for the long haul.

I wonder how long it'll be before old diesel cars are banned from the roads , is it euro 6 you need to drive into London , what's that 2013>

I don’t think they’ll get banned from the roads just banned from inner city centres.

Stuff like 405 diesels etc were very reliable in their day but old age has now become a factor that will mean you won’t necessarily get foolproof reliability by going back to old tech diesels. It will either have done a huge mileage and be generally worn out or potentially if it’s been sat doing little for years, putting it into heavy service will start problems of a different kind, cam/crank seals leaking, dried out grease in ball joints and perished metalastic bushes. If you are using it for a hobby then great but I wouldn’t be expecting fault free motoring. It’s not just mileage that kills stuff eventually.

Case in point, wife’s grandparents had an old NA Corsa 1.7D, only done about 70k but it was 18 years old. Ended up on the slow boat to China due to corrosion to the spring mounts and the pump was starting to go.

How about looking at it this way

You spend £4000 buying a good condition example of a car you like and use said car as your daily conveyance.

Age is irrelevant, and I'd sooner spend that on a 405 over an insignia

Sent from my F3211 using TapatalI

I've been tempted to sell mine just lately as the prices have been climbing and I can't see that trend lasting forever. However, if I look after it there's at least 200K left in the old girl and it owes me substantially less than 4K. It's got all the gizmo's on it I actually want in a car so I think it will be staying about a while longer yet. I can see why the Mi16's are fetching good money but like you lot am a bit confused by some of the Dturbo's selling for the sums they are with the way old diesels are being targeted now.

I've been tempted to sell mine just lately as the prices have been climbing and I can't see that trend lasting forever. However, if I look after it there's at least 200K left in the old girl and it owes me substantially less than 4K. It's got all the gizmo's on it I actually want in a car so I think it will be staying about a while longer yet. I can see why the Mi16's are fetching good money but like you lot am a bit confused by some of the Dturbo's selling for the sums they are with the way old diesels are being targeted now.

Come over to Northern Ireland, head out into the countryside (which is 90% of here!) and diesel is a religion.

There is a lot of love for the older tech D turbos because they can take a hammering and more importantly can be filled with red diesel.....not that I'm suggesting people do. Ahem.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Come over to Northern Ireland, head out into the countryside (which is 90% of here!) and diesel is a religion.

There is a lot of love for the older tech D turbos because they can take a hammering and more importantly can be filled with red diesel.....not that I'm suggesting people do. Ahem.

In my experience of living and working in ‘The North’ - your suggestion is about 60% accurate.

The rest was green diesel.

I'd love to do that one of the days, never been over there tbh, some of the scenery looks fantastic and it sounds like the motoring is cheap!

What's odd is that if I were to put my 605 up for sale tomorrow, even though it's an SRDT and has the better XUD it would struggle to crack £1k. Probably because they never had a good reputation....

The 605 didn't sell at all well though did it and had a bit of a rep for not being terribly reliable. I really like the look of them and you'd hope that the ones that have survived all this time weren't Friday afternoon cars.

Coincidentally that 405 SRDT just sold* on Ebay for the second time. Someone sniped a bid a couple of seconds from the end and upped it to £3050. He's hopeful this time as all the bidders have good feedback apparently.

There's nothing to stop you using red diesel in a common rail diesel, it's just diesel.

Customs and Excise officers tend to take a somewhat different view...

But they would take that same view regardless of the vehicle/engine type it's used in. The point Laquer is making is that you wouldn't seek out an old technology diesel if you were inclined to run Red/Green diesel. Old technology diesels are more sought out for BIO/SVO/WVO/WMO burning.

The point Laquer is making is that you wouldn't seek out an old technology diesel if you were inclined to run Red/Green diesel. Old technology diesels are more sought out for BIO/SVO/WVO/WMO burning.

Hmmm... the enduring popularity (and premium prices) of 306 D-Turbos in rural Northern Ireland seems to imply otherwise, I have to say... and my uncle still has to fend off prospective buyers every time he takes his 405 GRDt out.

There's a powerful following for 1990s diesels over here, especially Peugeots - and I'm reasonably confident no-one local is running them on veg. A few filling stations started selling biodiesel a coupla years back, but quickly stopped because there didn't seem to be much demand.

When your daddy has 2000 litres of red diesel in the barn for the tractors... well, there's maybe not so much need to fill up at the Maxol garage.

There's a fair few places around here you can brim up with red.....cash only and in a barn somewhere run by dodgy boyos but aye its common enough!

Think there was a fella over here fired from his civil service job for running red - they took the view he was defrauding his employer or suchlike....

I wouldnt bother myself (mostly because my fleet are petrol!!) but for a few folk doing mega miles it's hard to ignore....

As for tank dipping, they do the odd big campaign. They usually set up at the entrance to the University of ulster campus at Jordanstown as it seems a popular place of study for the dturbo brigade