3500 grand for a 405? Really?

Partridge

I wouldn't rule out some sentimentality at play here. I've read plenty of comments from people on here saying 'if I had the cash and could find a minter just like my Dad's/Grandad's car I'd snap it up' and implicit in that is above market value I think.

Maybe the new owner has a strong emotional attachment to a 405 of similar age and spec?

I wouldn't rule out some sentimentality at play here. I've read plenty of comments from people on here saying 'if I had the cash and could find a minter just like my Dad's/Grandad's car I'd snap it up' and implicit in that is above market value I think.

Maybe the new owner has a strong emotional attachment to a 405 of similar age and spec

No doubt true as if it had been a low mileage, light blue metallic 405 Executive automatic, and I had £100k in the bank I would have paid whatever it took to buy it.

I did wonder whether we were heading to deadlock/threadlock on this topic - but just a final thought from me.

If it was a 1993 Ford Sierra in smashing condition like this, nobody would have batted an eyelid at £3500.  Granted, it's unlikely that anybody on here would have bought it (other than me, natch) but there'd be no surprise.

1993 Ford - £3500.  Fine.

1993 Peugeot - £3500.  Meltdown.

I wouldn't give £3500 for a Sierra either. It's an unremarkable old saloon.

'It's worth what someone will pay for it'.

Well no, it's what someone is daft enough to pay for it. Remember that adage about monkeys and Shakespeare?

Take that 405 out today and see what the best offer is by 5pm. £350 is my best bet.

The buyer may have been a taxi driver.

Any way £3500 would buy our 2010 tdi leon. I know which car as a buyer I'd rather spend it on. The Leon will haemorrhage money for the next few years, the 405 won't. And the 405 will be infinitely more reliable as well. The leon has had a box rebuild, clutch, flywheel, new turbo and 3 central locking actuators at 60,000 miles. It's an absolute disgrace.

There is that viewpoint, valid as well.

You only lose money on a car when you sell it.

VAG stuff is never a good idea, the reason Kia sales are booming in Germany.

I don't get all this hysteria. At the end of the day the seller is happy, the buyer is happy and the car has a good home. Everybody wins, except maybe those who want a cheap 405 and that's only a few people. No one held a gun to the guy's head and forced him to pay £3500 for it. We'd have a lot more to moan about if the seller had sent it over the bridge for £50 instead.

I don't get all this hysteria. At the end of the day the seller is happy, the buyer is happy and the car has a good home. Everybody wins, except maybe those who want a cheap 405 and that's only a few people. No one held a gun to the guy's head and forced him to pay £3500 for it. We'd have a lot more to moan about if the seller had sent it over the bridge for £50 instead.

Exactly.

Who gives a fuck if one or two internet people think it’s worth that or not?! Fact is whoever bought it clearly decided they wanted it and were willing to spend that money on it. Why is nobody else’s business really.

I hope they’re happy with it and enjoy it. I hope the seller is happy too.

I can totally understand the buyer tbh. If you really want a specific car and you want a nice version of it then why not spend strong money? I really don’t see any issue with it. Hell, I’d do it!

405’s, nice as they are, aren’t my thing so I wouldn’t spend that on one but if it was a nice version of a car I did really want I’d gladly spend over the perceived odds to get what I wanted.

I’ve done it on my Capri and Mercury, neither will sell for what I’ve spent on them but I don’t do it for resale values, it’s a hobby and I like doing it. Money well spent imho. Some people will spend that sort of money and booze and fags over the months/years which is a waste!

If I had the money and saw something which was in exactly the spec I wanted I wouldn't say that this was a heinous amount of cash for a car. It doesn't really matter what it is if the guy likes it enough to pay more than the other bidders, surely. Whilst the 405 is pricey I would buy that before a lot of other things I see people "wasting" their money on.

More than £3500 I'll wager, and really badly assembled!

Not necessarily...  perhaps the Paykan days are long gone as Iran Khodro have expanded with plenty of foreign investment and have an export market we shouldn't ignore (dealerships in 14 countries).  Apart from 6 plants in Iran, the additional plants in Egypt/Azerbaijan/Senegal also building Renaults and Suzukis, they opened a new plant in Belarus (apparently with GM money) - also building Peugeot Pars (remodelled 405) with PSA allowing their brand name to be used as well.  60,000 employees, valued at $4bn, built over 1M cars in last 3 years

hxulwd24es.jpg jbpemahmxl.jpg vmpthghphj.jpg
ywthwxzk7v.jpg 6gmvblubir.jpg zdy36puzi1.jpg

And all of them futureshite, especially that 405 pickup (want!)

About $9500 in 2014 apparently.....

Peugeot Pars was listed at 369 million Rials this time last year

That's still at £7800

29-566x303.jpg

2000_Peugeot_Pars_013_3451.jpg aee5a368bb4b318bed9239d65b4a5b81.jpg 2000_Peugeot_Pars_016_5237.jpg

Crikey, a whole new car for twice the price of the eBay one.  Would it be.....

FCJlbxpkPihGwTNNXLhH.gif

Flights from Stansted to Tehran, £136 with Pegasus Airlines

Hmm... What engine is in it?

Top engine is XU 1.8 16v DOHC as found in 406 LX / Xsara VTS. Bosch control.

Those wheels are certainly grim.

Those wheels are one of the few things imported, as they come from Speedline in Italy.

Pars ELX also gets ABS and Recaro seats. Cloth ones, obviously, as it got to 28°C in mid-town this afternoon. In March.

Here is your brochure, Sir.  I hope you can read Farsi.

https://tinyurl.com/yd8o38n8

Reading the latest government travel advice to Iran, doesn't make comfortable reading!

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/iran

Any behaviour that doesn’t have an obvious explanation can put you at risk, no matter how innocent you believe it to be. 

Aye, that's most of the stuff we do here then!

Not sure about that. We've gone from conceding we'd pay a bit over the odds for one to moving to one of the world's most oppressive regimes for the opportunity to own a new one. Would anyone sell all their limbs for a brand new 405 GTX?

Peugeot Pars was listed at 369 million Rials this time last year

That's still at £7800

29-566x303.jpg

2000_Peugeot_Pars_013_3451.jpg aee5a368bb4b318bed9239d65b4a5b81.jpg 2000_Peugeot_Pars_016_5237.jpg

Crikey, a whole new car for twice the price of the eBay one.  Would it be.....

FCJlbxpkPihGwTNNXLhH.gif

Flights from Stansted to Tehran, £136 with Pegasus Airlines

You may also have to get round the current trade sanctions imposed on Iran. Not sure if they cover new and secondhand cars coming out of the place, but I think it would be a touch inconvenient to have your acquisition impounded because trade with Iran is effectively banned.

There are 11 Lexus LS400s for sale right now on Autotrader.

Two are less than £2k.

One is less than £3k.

Six are between £3k and £6k.

Two are from £6k to £10k.

The price curve is absolutely on the up, with the remaining few sane owners pricing things between £1500 and £2500 depending on service history/condition/model year etc and the others basically going full 'IZ NAO CLASSIK M9' and writing adverts with £££s in their eyes.

The most expensive one is £10000 for a 1998 R-plated black over grey model with very nice wheels. It has 73k on the clock. Don't get me wrong, it's a bloody nice car and it's not worth nowt anymore. I would also be seeking some recompense for its condition and history. But TEN GRAND? It's not there yet, matey.

The three worst offenders on Autotrader are all private sellers, and of the eleven for sale six are private, with all but one of these being over £3k.

I really need to get one soon before they become unobtainable. I don't care for making a profit; I just want a V8 again.

You may also have to get round the current trade sanctions imposed on Iran. Not sure if they cover new and secondhand cars coming out of the place, but I think it would be a touch inconvenient to have your acquisition impounded because trade with Iran is effectively banned.

Good point.  Tehran is right out.

Not only that, as personal car imports get a 300% value tax slapped on them at port, it's quite likely the paperwork allowing departure would be just a lively.

However.

IKCO do export to Afghanistan, Algeria, Armenia, Belarus, Bulgaria, China, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Lebanon, Russia, Senegal, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, UAE, Venezuela. 

I can see one of those being more fruitful: flights to Sofia it is, then.  It just might work!  LdaDGrmWIyEKROYagnRa.gif