3500 grand for a 405? Really?

Partridge

I suppose worth is subjective. A 2003 Suzuki Liana is worth fuck all to me cause I don't want it.

It just seems a steep price, I'm glad as I say for the seller, I bet he can't believe his luck. The guy who has bought it sounds like he's got more money than sense, but if he's happy with it so be it.

For the record is an immense price for the car, I haven't read the ad and unless it was silly low mileage etc it seems mental but like anything else, if you've got the money and you really want it and there's nothing else around who are we to argue?

To be fair, he could have sunk that into a 10 plate modern pug and had a world of hurt with airbag faults, injectors, clutch/dmf etc whereas with that all it really needs is an annual service and occasional timing belt, should provide at least another ten years of good service with relatively low running costs.

If my old mk 1 TD Mondeo hadn't been a bit rough in the body (but no welding) it could have easily been kept on the road for another ten years with only minor repairs, there was really nothing wrong with it!!!

For mad prices there's a guy on eBay that sells (mainly) highline vw Passat's and golf's for £5000 each, usually with over 100k that he claims is "low" mileage.

They don't even look that nice.

I suppose the business model is keep pushing until someone a bit naïve turns up and pays the asking price.

Never happens for me though!!!

I did once have someone offer to swap me a standard set of xr3i alloys for a full rs turbo bodykit and interior because they were worth "£350" in the paper.

I told him to sell them then come back with the cash.

Still waiting.

Fair play, something is only worth what people are prepared to pay.

This being a really minty example probably places it top of the tree values wise, but £3500 isn't huge money for any car anymore, and I think a lot more people are being turned off by overly complicated moderns, looking beyond the date on the number plate and appreciating the simple reliability 90s cars have to offer.

Up our neck of the woods it's either older stuff or leased new stuff. The amount of stuff that falls into the middle is a lot lower than it was

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Old cars aren't necessarily a byword for reliability, I'd be willing to bet you'd spend a lot more time laid underneath a 23 year old Peugeot than one 15 years newer.

The 405 was a good car, but a lot of them that are left, like most 20 year old diesels are worn out old nails.

Not if the more modern one was a diesel. The 405 lump won't have much more complication than a wee grey fergie

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

I bought a nice (ish) 405 Executive estate late summer last year, and drove it 1200 odd miles in a week going to Scotland and back. Other than the 406 I had a little later I'd not been in a car as good on motorways as it was. Yes the trim falls off, and yes the locks are generally broken/breaking, but it was fine and ate the miles up like no tomorrow, no drama, no FTPs. The only thing I didn't like was the leather seats feeling a bit slidy and soft after 8 hours in them.

There's still good ones out there.

*Edit tell a lie, the Xantia I had that belonged to angle before me was also a prime motorway car. But they won't be worth £3500 anytime soon!

My main concern isn't the engine, it's the tax situation after the VW fuckup. I can see mine getting fitted with a petrol engine at some point or trying to claim an exemption if it's run on pure cooking oil. Treating an old car to some rust prevention isn't rocket science, especially when they are only really prone to going in some fairly specific places.

My 405 memory is in the summer of 1989 or 1990 I spent some time with a French cousin in Lille.

His dad picked me up from Dover I think in his 405, and my overwhelming memory is being driven back to Lille at lunatic speeds, sometimes on the wrong side of the road to take corners etc, the opposite of English dad driving. I was about 11-12, but remember despite my fear, really enjoying the ride!

The old adage applies here, something is always too expensive when you can't afford it. Top examples of any car will always attract a premium. It's a 405? So whats the problem?....it was arguably the best car of its class back in the day..this is a very desirable engine and trim combo and to bring up a shitter to the same condition would cost a hell of a lot more.

This 405 has obviously been purchased to be cherished. Not all old Peugeots are bought to be driven in to ground.

The old adage applies here, something is always too expensive when you can't afford it. Top examples of any car will always attract a premium. It's a 405? So whats the problem?....it was arguably the best car of its class back in the day..this is a very desirable engine and trim combo and to bring up a shitter to the same condition would cost a hell of a lot more.

This 405 has obviously been purchased to be cherished. Not all old Peugeots are bought to be driven in to ground.

Oh, I agree completely. Mine is a weekends only thing, and we maintain it to the point of obsession. To drive it into the ground would be a crime, especially with it being so rare.

To be honest, I'm quite pleased they're appreciating -  they deserve their time in the sun.

I don't get the hype. My ex back in the day had one her Dad gave her and it seemed dismal. Crappy trim and heavy steering what's that all about. The she treated it like shit, woulden't really help. The mk1 mondy was a better car by far and we don't want over them

I'm no mouth frothing fanboy, but that's a little unfair. The trim, with the exception of the nasty door handles is very well made IMO - and I'm comparing it to my V70 and my W124. The steering gets lighter once you get to proper speeds, and as for comparing it to Mondeo, remember that it came out about six years after the 405! You could buy them at the same time, but the 405 must have been a revelation back in it's day.

Worth it for that interior. Dunno why some in the thread are appalled, people can pay whatever they like for cars.

They are really sweet to drive, better than any competitor at the time and many newer cars - they drive like a big 205. The 406 that came after was much heavier with less steering and road feel.

It's called nostalgia.

My dad had a pretty much brand new shiny red Daewoo Espero 2.0 CDXI MANUAL when I was a teenager.

If a auto maroon 1.8 cdi came up for sale I would hardly bat an eyelid.

If a mint low miles shiny red 2.0 CDXI manual came up, I'd pay ludicrous money to own and cherish it.

Just the way the world is.

The buyer may have been a taxi driver.

Any way £3500 would buy our 2010 tdi leon. I know which car as a buyer I'd rather spend it on. The Leon will haemorrhage money for the next few years, the 405 won't. And the 405 will be infinitely more reliable as well. The leon has had a box rebuild, clutch, flywheel, new turbo and 3 central locking actuators at 60,000 miles. It's an absolute disgrace.

The buyer may have been a taxi driver.

Any way £3500 would buy our 2010 tdi leon. I know which car as a buyer I'd rather spend it on. The Leon will haemorrhage money for the next few years, the 405 won't. And the 405 will be infinitely more reliable as well. The leon has had a box rebuild, clutch, flywheel, new turbo and 3 central locking actuators at 60,000 miles. It's an absolute disgrace.

£10 says this Peugeot has had some f'ing great bills along the way.  Cars simply don't get to this age, in this condition, without having money spent on them.

Perversely, I think the best cars are the ones you buy from professionals who don't like cars.  I bought my Avensis from a school teacher - she needed a car, she knew nothing about cars, when the garage said "you need this, that, and the other" she just paid the bill.  There are some eyewatering bills in the service history for things like ignition switches, window regulators, etc blah.  

There's honestly no panacea - no car you can buy for pocket money, never spend on and expect it to reach 30 looking box fresh.  Now you've spent all that money on your Leon, it might be a bastion of reliability!