2019 Stan Woods Memorial - A GGG Climate Improvement Appeal (CIA)

Junkman

Oh, and I love how half the forum was at this event but we completely avoided each other while probably taking photos of each other by accident.

Must do better next time!

We didn't get there until about 3 and parking was a nightmare, but I think I recognised a P6 on the way in. I don't think I have ever seen so many pairs of rigger boots in one place so it should of been easy to find other shiters as they would of looked normal amongst the rest. There again we did stay in a superb hotel in Alsanger which we will have to do again.

I got there just after 2 and parking was crap then, I did keep my eyes open but didn't spot anyone, I spent most of my day under the canopy in front of the bar, next to a group of scousers, I was stood behind some other normal looking folk who had a couple of kids with them, if anyone was around there I was in a stone coloured jacket, i have spikey hair, I did shamelessly photobomb the folks in front when they were taking pictures of one another

I can't really add much to what's been said, other than I was disappointed. Disappointed because no engine blew up. Other than that it was great fun with comedy levels of mishaps. The old VW bus got flipped early on which was hilarious, an A60 had its rear axle torn off, front hubs were so bent the wheels resembled a clown car, a Victor 101 erupted in a geyser of steam and the smell of burning petrol, oil and rubber was fantastic.

We ambled around the yard and noticed a pronounced vogue for hi-viz. The air was rent with the stink of pot, which might've been essential for the drivers of these crates. There was some seriously rare chod there; a big RHD Fiat saloon, 125P, big old Datsuns, pre-war shite &c. I did wonder what these cars looked like before and how many could have been saved, but most were past salvation. In any case, many were offered up for sale before becoming bangers.

post-17604-0-09880800-1525023847_thumb.jpg

post-17604-0-24801200-1525023988_thumb.jpg

post-17604-0-64377200-1525024039_thumb.jpg

post-17604-0-59874200-1525024132_thumb.jpg

post-17604-0-07880600-1525024203_thumb.jpg

post-17604-0-29093400-1525024250_thumb.jpg

post-17604-0-44937700-1525024311_thumb.jpg

post-17604-0-44863100-1525024362_thumb.jpg

Ok ish day for us Started badly when we were pulled into Thorpe Arch by VOSA but to be fair they just gave us a quick once over and spent more time talking to us about the car.  They were quite chatty about the new MOT exemption and the potential of people driving barn finds home with day insurance!  Both cars passed scrutineering OK and we managed to get the minx running much better after advancing the timing. Andy was out in heat 1 in the minx and managed to pick his way past quite a few cars before the head gasket let go. Fortunately he managed to coast onto the infield and the car is otherwise totally undamaged. We have a couple of spare engines so that car will be returning in 2019. Alan was out in heat 4 in the pinto powered Amazon and after a good start was running 3rd but an ambitious overtaking move on the second placed car left him in the fence. We managed to get it back out for the allcomers race and after ploughing into a track blockage on the start-line straight the car was finished by a stiff shot from a Farina, Better start looking for something else for next year. Good to see Mr Junkman and Co again. See you all in 2019 

Ok ish day for us Started badly when we were pulled into Thorpe Arch by VOSA but to be fair they just gave us a quick once over and spent more time talking to us about the car.  They were quite chatty about the new MOT exemption and the potential of people driving barn finds home with day insurance!  Both cars passed scrutineering OK and we managed to get the minx running much better after advancing the timing. Andy was out in heat 1 in the minx and managed to pick his way past quite a few cars before the head gasket let go. Fortunately he managed to coast onto the infield and the car is otherwise totally undamaged. We have a couple of spare engines so that car will be returning in 2019. Alan was out in heat 4 in the pinto powered Amazon and after a good start was running 3rd but an ambitious overtaking move on the second placed car left him in the fence. We managed to get it back out for the allcomers race and after ploughing into a track blockage on the start-line straight the car was finished by a stiff shot from a Farina, Better start looking for something else for next year. Good to see Mr Junkman and Co again. See you all in 2019

Yeah next year you won’t need a truck or transporter. Just drive your bangers to and from the race!

That 1930s Chrysler with all the murals is proper 'epic' 

Fiat 130 looks terribly filled and frilly, but 125 Special doesn't look any worse than when they were 8 years old

How much is that VW Camper really worth, even after falling on its side

c229035c8fc3eeafa5f028ee916b2ef5.jpg

Can I be the first to be annoyingly OCD and post a before and after photo set

Earlier this year on eBay:

33459807171_40138879e8_z.jpg

514 YVW, 1961 Rover 100, last tax March 1987.

Interesting W126 conversion that sadly wasn't raced

27907092808_0e63ee8464_b.jpg

Did it not pass scrutineering or was it knocked aside due to too many cars?

It was a W126 420SE, known for causing mild hernias for Mercedes club members when seen out on the roads of Sheffield and thereabouts.

mercedes_w126_hatchback.jpg

A Blue Forum member got hold of it about 6 years ago and saw it was converted when new with full history file including the conversion details, apparently had it build to carry their dogs.  Then it landed on eBay last summer when in Doncaster and sold for around £500

mercedes_w126_hatchback_ebay_august_2017

Awfully good photos chaps. Back in the mid-70's I wanted to banger race, had a licence (PRI201) and bought a 1960 Minx for £7.50, haggled down from 12 quid. Sadly my ambition was never realised although for a couple of years I was a banger mechanic which was fun, even got to race in a mechanics race in an FB Victor. Think I've got three photos of that momentous event. We raced around in a field near Ashford in Kent, transporter was an ex-army circa 1950 Bedford coach with the back cut off. We could get two cars inside and another on a trailer, I used to sit in one of the bangers for the journey. Great memories. 

I was the last but two owner of that Minx 2624JH,sold it last autumn. It had suffered a filler and blow-over restoration about ten years ago and then spent fifteen more years sitting outside a unit in Ongar. 28k miles but she was in a bit of a state and it didn't get better the closer we looked

I was the last but two owner of that Minx 2624JH,sold it last autumn. It had suffered a filler and blow-over restoration about ten years ago and then spent fifteen more years sitting outside a unit in Ongar. 28k miles but she was in a bit of a state and it didn't get better the closer we looked

Found C&C ad, was up at £750

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C909066

9182574.jpg

It doesn't look like the plate was put on retention in the end.