1994 Honda Accord 2.3 SR - Now Sold

phil_lihp

I'm selling my Honda Accord to make room for another incoming car. It's a 1994 mk5 with 102,000 miles on the clock and it's in excellent, solid condition. It was serviced back in January by twosmoke300 and I hope he won't mind me mentioning that he commented on its generally excellent condition underneath with almost no rust to speak of, other than a bit of corrosion creeping in on the corner of one rear wheelarch.

When it was serviced it had new fuel, oil and air filters, a new cam cover gasket, the valve clearances were checked (they were spot on), the brakes were stripped and cleaned and of course an oil change. The oil that came out was pretty clean and the car's general condition suggests it has been well cared for in the past. It doesn't seem to use any fluids that I have been able to spot.

It's recently had a pair of new Toyo front tyres and the rears have plenty of tread. It's got a fresh MOT until February 2019 and is very much ready to drive away. This model comes with a leather interior (in good condition, no rips or scruffs), electric windows all round (driver's side doesn't work, common on this model) and an electric sunroof. The wing mirrors are electrically adjusted and heated and work perfectly despite being damaged - the casing is damaged on both and they were taped up for the MOT so are looking a bit scruffy, the passenger side glass is cracked but perfectly usable.

The car's paintwork is reasonable with some scratches here and there, scuffs on the bumper corners and a scrape and shallow dent on the bootlid. I had it professionally machine polished about 3 months ago which smartened it up considerably but it would benefit from a few paint touchups here and there.

The engine and gearbox are excellent and it drives very well - it has plenty of power and is very smooth. It handles well and is a good motorway cruiser. The clutch bearing can be a bit noisy when changing gear at higher revs but I've noticed that has actually improved with use and it doesn't affect the way the car drives. When cold the power steering pulley can be a bit noisy for a few seconds but there doesn't seem to be any actual issue with the steering. There does seem to be a small parasitic drain on the battery - it tends to go flat if left for a couple of weeks despite having a decent new-ish Halfords battery fitted recently.

The car's in Barnstaple, North Devon and I am asking for £550 - I'm after a straight sale unless you happen to have a tidy Mk1 Focus ST170 to offload. I would welcome anyone to come and view it for themselves, I may be able to help with delivery depending on distance etc. Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any questions.

post-5492-0-96202100-1521899129_thumb.jpg

post-5492-0-31310500-1521899153_thumb.jpg

post-5492-0-30242100-1521899160_thumb.jpg

post-5492-0-77407000-1521899167_thumb.jpg

I've done this in the wrong order again...purchased the replacement before selling this one.  As it won't fit on my driveway, insurance is a slight issue once the new one arrives so unless it sells soon it's likely to be annoying my nearest kindhearted friend/family member with off-road parking.  So it gets a bump, advertised in a few places now but would prefer to sell on here given how straightforward every purchase and sale I've ever done with you lot has been.

Aside from a couple of insulting offers, this has attracted almost no interest on Gumtree, Facebook, eBay or a couple of forums. I find this in keeping with the last Honda I sold, the Prelude which proved almost impossible to shift until Dollywobbler took it in.

So another bump...offers considered.

It is tiny, but getting a train from the middle to the end of it can easily cost 3 figures even with skilful gaming of the nightmarish ticketing system.

Even the North to the South Coast is nearer £50 than 3 figures. Distance in the UK is an inconvenience, but not an impediment IMO.

post-5435-0-08958300-1522402032_thumb.png

Half the fun of buying a car can be having a canny day out and seeing some of the country.

Thanks chaps, it is a lovely car really, just a bit of an oddball I suppose, old enough to put most people off, ordinary enough not to be appealing to most car enthusiasts.  Still, I reckon it has years of life left in it and I'd happily drive it anywhere.

It's not hard to get here via Exeter St. Davids on the train, the back-and-forth Barnstaple service is a bit basic but it's regular and pretty reliable, with pretty scenery.  Plus sometimes a shiter drives the train.

I would entertain a roffle at £9 a ticket if there was interest.  I do want to try and at least get back what I paid for it, regardless of what I have spent on it since, but open to offers.

God wait for the ridiculous questions then from people who when they talk sound like they've got their mouths full of bread.

First will be the outrageously silly questions like 'Does this car have ISOFIX?' Followed by a tirade of messages saying simply '150'

Assuming then the auction is won they'll try paying you in some odd currency or be under the misapprehension you were going to deliver it to the door for the cost.

Then finally a message written by a child complaining bitterly that its 'fuckd m8' because his 'm8' who is no more a mechanic than I am an astrophysicist declares it so.

Well, the Charade sold easily via eBay on a 99p start to a chap who is coming to pick it up tomorrow for a good price so I've done OK so far.  Luck of the draw I guess.

That said, with the static ad I have had almost no interest bar one persistent chap who has sent me two very low offers, then phoned me (presumably from my Gumtree ad) when I declined his second offer, to reiterate his offer and explain to me that it needs a new gearbox, clutch, mirrors etc.  I got a little irritated at this point as it's nonsense of course, he said he really wanted it and had been after one in this spec for ages but wouldn't give me more than half the asking price so I politely declined and ended the call.  Sadly I think he may have valued it more or less correctly!  However, I will not be dealing with him as I predict I'll get a load of hassle on collection if he bids and wins.