Ex-Junkman, Ex-Meshking P38 back up for grabs

fraser.innes.3

Guess this is the conversation that needs to be had about roffle vehicles - is there sort of a moral obligation for prizes to have their collections documented in a suitably entertaining thread, to have regular updates posted, and ultimately to be re-roffled or otherwise offered back into the AS community once expenses/family pressures/FTPs become too great to bear?

Much as I greatly enjoy and enthusiastically support all of those things, it would put a slightly different spin on roffling if this were effectively a terms and conditions of entering - which in turn may make cars more difficult to successfully roffle, and may inadvertently cause them to leave the fold anyway...

I've no strong opinions either way, having entered a fair few roffles with merry abandon and scant thought as to how I'd get it back across the Irish Sea. I only ever enter draws for cars I have every intention to retrieve and enjoy, but can easily see how other commitments or financial pressures arising might well stop that happening. Hmmm.

The P38's immediate future seems to be sorted now, but there's clearly slightly opposing views about the spirit of both the forum and the nature of roffles, which may be worth discussing in a fraternal and constructive manner... is winning and possession 'the be all and end all' - or are there always going to be invisible strings attached to roffle cars? And is a 'known' car previously owned by several forum members going to be viewed differently than, say, a random car with no forum history?

Dunno. Not shit-stirring here, and absolutely no shade being thrown on fraser.innes.3 (read the OP and thought, ok, fair enough) - genuinely interested as to the consensus opinion on acceptable ways to deal with prizes that can't be collected for one reason or another, bearing in mind that not everyone is flush enough to simply pass up their prize?

As an example, I have a very vague intention to get my surplus Phase 1 Laguna bASe running and MOT'd over the summer with a view to offering it out as a very cheap roffle (as, despite being reliable and extremely sound beneath all the dents, even I cannot imagine anyone actually wanting to pay much over £5 for it - and selling the number plate would recover the cost of flights and ferries) - but I reckon I'd still be a touch peeved if the lucky* winner immediately rang T-Met to come and hiab it off my drive and then pocket the £80 scrap cheque, which I suppose they'd be technically within their rights to do, as the new owner... it just wouldn't seem very Autoshite to me.

Guess this is the conversation that needs to be had about roffle vehicles - is there sort of a moral obligation for prizes to have their collections documented in a suitably entertaining thread, to have regular updates posted, and ultimately to be re-roffled or otherwise offered back into the AS community once expenses/family pressures/FTPs become too great to bear?

At least that would be funny.

Datsuncog, on 22 Mar 2018 - 2:11 PM, said:

Much as I greatly enjoy and enthusiastically support all of those things, it would put a slightly different spin on roffling if this were effectively a terms and conditions of entering - which in turn may make cars more difficult to successfully roffle, and may inadvertently cause them to leave the fold anyway...

I've no strong opinions either way, having entered a fair few roffles with merry abandon and scant thought as to how I'd get it back across the Irish Sea. I only ever enter draws for cars I have every intention to retrieve and enjoy, but can easily see how other commitments or financial pressures arising might well stop that happening. Hmmm.

The P38's immediate future seems to be sorted now, but there's clearly slightly opposing views about the spirit of both the forum and the nature of roffles, which may be worth discussing in a fraternal and constructive manner... is winning and possession 'the be all and end all' - or are there always going to be invisible strings attached to roffle cars? And is a 'known' car previously owned by several forum members going to be viewed differently than, say, a random car with no forum history?

Dunno. Not shit-stirring here, and absolutely no shade being thrown on fraser.innes.3 (read the OP and thought, ok, fair enough) - genuinely interested as to the consensus opinion on acceptable ways to deal with prizes that can't be collected for one reason or another, bearing in mind that not everyone is flush enough to simply pass up their prize?

As an example, I have a very vague intention to get my surplus Phase 1 Laguna bASe running and MOT'd over the summer with a view to offering it out as a very cheap roffle (as, despite being reliable and extremely sound beneath all the dents, even I cannot imagine anyone actually wanting to pay much over £5 for it - and selling the number plate would recover the cost of flights and ferries) - but I reckon I'd still be a touch peeved if the lucky* winner immediately rang T-Met to come and hiab it off my drive and then pocket the £80 scrap cheque, which I suppose they'd be technically within their rights to do, as the new owner... it just wouldn't seem very Autoshite to me.

I like the generally altruistic nature of this site, especially against a background of the almost military-level mongery of ebay & gumtree, so I'm all for buying & selling vehicles & other things in here at a reduced rate that reflects the easier transactions.

Buyers can generally also be confident that they've been told about all known issues, it's the sort of thing that sets forums like ours apart from online marketplaces.

But is there a moral obligation to keep a roffled car within the community? I'd say 'no'. But it's entirely within the nature of this site & its contributors to do so, for the reasons given above.

Edit: having said that, I've never bought / won a vehicle on AS and have only sold one vehicle (i.e. owned by me, not my ex) via the site. Naturally at well below market rate.

I buy numbers on things I do not need or want.

Let me state here and now, that if I ever win an auction, I will collect the vehicle and do as I see fit once in my possession.

Or pass my ticket to whoever I see fit at that precise time for them to collect FOC.

I may, with luck be reminded of this in the future.

I don't like blind auctions, they had a small trailer at work, it cost them over £1000, they decided they didn't want it, couldn't be arsed with knobheads offering 1/2 the asking so settled on a sealed bid auction

I put my bid in of £150 because I had a use for it but I wanted it cheap so thought if somebody wants it more than that they can have it

I had a moments elation when I was told I'd won it for the £150 followed by instant deflation when I found out  everybody I worked with didn't see the opportunity for profit so I was the only entrant and I could've got it for a quid , fuck

As for the subject of this thread, IMO once the roffle is won it's the winners car so up to him what he does with it 

Im not suggesting that it should be given away or anything like that - of course its his car and he can do what he wants - if he wants to put it in a white room and ask 10k for it, then good luck to him, but a blind auction gets my back right up on principal - Not fair on the community and way too easy for dishonesty.

For what it's worth (not much, I'm still quite new here), my thoughts go something like this;

1. Win roffle, car is nominally yours

2. Collect car, sign over V5C, etc, car is actually yours

3. Drive, sell, re-roffle, scrap, whatever, it's your car. You have won at a gambling thing so if you profit that's fair enough.

However, I don't think it's fair to sell it on if you haven't actually collected it yet, not least because it's still sat on someone else's driveway and you're then involving them in something they haven't asked for. It's also legally complex since nothing's been signed over.

In the circumstances a roll over to the next lotto draw would have been the preferable option, I think.

I honestly wish Id never invented roffles, because of the internet opinion bother they can sometimes cause.

Nah, they're one of the best things on here. 

Of course there's a little forum drama now and then, but that's forums. You could start a crocheting forum with only two old ladies on it and within a month they'd be on each other's ignore lists. 

Quite a few times Ive purchased tickets just to help people out and fill the spaces up and said something along the lines of "I dont need or want this, so if anyone wants it for £xx if my numbers come up, feel free to massage me privately."

If id known I was entering a non specified implied contract to tax, insure, collect from the other end of the country, THEN ADVERTISE to hopefully punt on a shitbox, I'd more than likely not have bothered tbh.