Living with a Fjord Streetkak. The first year.

Simonsays

I’ve come close many times on buying one, preferably a winter edition.

Coming close to, but not actually *buying* is probably the best approach :-)

I have delayed the onset of door handle fixerating to fit a new set of wiper blades. A task that more accurately reflects my mechanical abilities.

My old bosses wife had her back end smashed in when driving hers. She was in a bit of a mess afterwards....

Probably kept the roof up for that then....... modesty should prevail.

Mention of spridgets etc..... what IS the recognised mid life crisis motor(s) nowadays? I'm fast approaching mine I reckon so would like to shop around

How spooky!  I read this thread last night and what should bumble in today but this...

post-4577-0-51811800-1522326132_thumb.jpg

so, a cheeky bid and its mine!

I have given it to my wife to run about in over summer, she is delighted* (or pretending to be) and i dont have to drag anything else out of the shed for her to use. £200 well spent.

How spooky! I read this thread last night and what should bumble in today but this...

attachicon.gifDSC02942.JPG

so, a cheeky bid and its mine!

I have given it to my wife to run about in over summer, she is delighted* (or pretending to be) and i dont have to drag anything else out of the shed for her to use. £200 well spent.

Congratulations on your purchase. Now go and check the thermostat housing for cracks :-)

Do not use super glue to attatch your mirror to the glass, it is a recipe for disaster as glue expands differently in the heat than glass and plastic and could crack your windscreen.

Double sided tape is your best bet here.

Turns out they didn't have any. Had to settle for a packet of wotsits and a bottle of cherry coke.

I might just settle for a halfords suction jobbie. Its not like I can see much through the gaffa taped rear screen anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Those Ford pads are really good or if you really want to glue it use something like: Loctite Interior Rear View Mirror Bond kit it has a little gauze pad that gets covered in the glue and goes between mirror and glass.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

*David Attenbrough voice*

The first blushings of spring see the coy Ka's ease back their hoods to expose their humans in the mating ritual that usually preceeds welding and crying

*\David Attenbrough voice*

I've just snorted a mouthful of best bitter through my nose.

You win the internet today :-)

• 4 weeks later...

I've decided to chop the streetkak in whilst it still has a decent bit of MOT on it. It's been lots of fun to buzz around in but it's motorway manners fall short of being acceptable.

I'm glad that I've finally been able to scratch my two seat softtop 'itch' that's been building since i was about 14 years old.

Cost of ownership has been reasonable, bearing in mind the trade value its about £350 for just over a year (ignoring road tax/in-sewer-ants)

Friday will be new 'old-shite' day. Collectshun thread to follow. Hopfully without RAC assistance, unlike the streetkak....

I like these too, a non rusty one is quite the find! Well done :)

My first car was a Ka, one of the older ones with the Endura lump. I bought it from my old man who'd had it from new (He'd gone out and bought a slightly newer one as he'd enjoyed the one he'd sold me so much) I'll always remember that car fondly.

Unfortunately the door seals leaked so terribly that the interior got incredibly wet, so much so that the insides of the car smelled like rotten veg. One of my friends girlfriends at the time actually vomited in it one night because of the smell. It must've been pretty bad....

At one point, around Christmas time, both of out heater control valves had failed so no hot air was produced through the vents in either of our Ka's. We were both to mean to pay for repairs so my dad devised a system where as a hot water bottle could be filled, balanced on the dash in an effort to allow the cool air to be warmed and clear the windscreen. We were both driving round like that for a couple of months. Meanwhile my carpets had frozen so the car didn't smell quite as bad, at least until temperatures crept above freezing, simple pleasures.

Rust got it in the end :(

Later in life I briefly had a Mk5 Fiesta with the 1.3 Rocam. (Yes, thermostat housing leaked but a cheap Ebay pattern part quickly solved the issue.)

In short,' interesting' cars to own, the fact they don't have a timing belt to worry about only adds to their appeal. Mine was awful and somehow I still miss it slightly.