Mystery wheel trims

holbeck

Look late 80s and FWD friendly.  They don't look very factory, even ignoring that centre badge, they look more like a good quality aftermarket item instead.  Looking at the stuff around them in the picture, probably a 13"-14" trim too.

Are they actually metal or just painted plastic?

Do we have any more clues? (Cars owned).

They are pressed metal.

I've not seen them myself, but my friend Carl (who incidentally runs the former AS bike C15 as a daily), found them clearing up his mum's garage. He is as mystified as the rest of us.

Ok, I did a bit of digging about these trims earlier and found what we're looking for.

They're definitely made by a major car manufacturer, the centre-badge is missing. I have found pics of 3 others, complete with maker's logo and serial number on the back which checks out to two models.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find a pic of a car with them actually fitted. Either they were really rare or, possibly, intended to be US-spec.

So, problem solved, but not quite 100% nailed yet. More to follow . . .

EOu3FLj.jpg

Tjk7wMx.jpg

There is one mint-condition wheeltrim for sale on ebay right now. Listed as for an Audi C1 5000, which is the US version of the 1976-82 Audi 100. More detailed pics of the wheeltrim (which is in mint condition) on this ebay link.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Genuine-13-Audi-5000-Mk1-wheel-trim-hub-cap-cover/152910964219?hash=item239a3425fb:g:t6gAAOSw~e5ZXpvi

An Audi 5000 with the same trims yesterday, just before teatime.

YFKBhR6.jpg

Googling the part-code led, co-incidentally, to a short but helpful thread from a few years ago on "The Blue".

From 2011 -

http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/107161/help-audi-wheel-trims

Apparently the "CKO 12 115/0" code relates to the Audi 80 B2 as well.

I don't remember seeing these wheel trims but I don't really know the VW Audi stuff.

Any VAG-lickers in here? (Fnaaaarrrr, don't all answer at once).

:-)

Initially I thought the mystery trims were early 80s VW as seen on the Jetta Mk1, but I was wrong, it would appear that the Jetta ones are totally different and made in 2 pieces. I remember seeing loads of these.

(A couple of poor quality pics of the wrong Jetta ones below).

bAvUTdd.jpg

jbPu5n1.jpg

But,

I can't understand why the recently-discovered long-lost mystery-trims would be Audi US-spec only.

Maybe someone with easy access to VAG part-code info could check it out further. I've had a quick try on t'net but so far it hasn't liked old Autoshite-era part-code-only bollocks.

Maybe the trims were fitted to a limited number of other models too, like an Audi 90 or the early 80s Audi coupe? VW Type-2 T3 minivans or professionally-converted campervans?

Would be interesting to find out how a set ended up in that garage. Part of a job-lot of Dubbers stuff from the US, or just from a fucked old VW Santana??

Because the Audi 100 was the Audi 5000 in the US it is easy to seperate the two and do an image search for each model name: very clearly different wheels and trims for the two markets.

I was a bit of an Audi licker in the '80s and liked the steel/ hubcap combination the 100s came on. The only base model 100 we saw here was the Avant hatchback which could be had as a 1.6 or a 1.9 Diesel (that'll never catch on!)