Focus Mk1s

sierraman

Hendry would have liked ours, original supplying dealer plates and rear window sticker, local car all it's life, low miles, only a microscopic bit of rust, everything worked, spare keys, wads of history, it was a rare thing, a looked after Focus with a very nice spec, and was Spanish waiter flavour, most saloons I've seen were badermatic

I love mine (red one in the pic). 2003 1.6 Zetec, had it 5.5 years. Done 50k in it, now on 110k.

Everything works, serviced every year + extra oil change, does everything I ask of it with no fuss whatsoever. Only intended to keep it 12 months but very quickly realised what brilliant cars they are. Sadly, most don't get as well looked after as mine and I suspect they'll be a rare sight within 5 years.

The rear doors on mine are starting to show a bit of rust at the bottom and it did need a bit of welding in the n/s/r wheel arch where the fabric lining holds water against the body. Suspect the other side will need doing at some point. I spotted mine early but most will only get found when they fail an MOT.

I'm almost embarrassed to say it but if I've still got it next winter (which I'm sure I will, barring it getting written off etc) the current plan is to put it in the garage to hide from the salt and I'll buy something else to get through the bad weather.

post-17736-0-60760100-1520973874_thumb.jpg

I am definitely in the minority here but I hated the one we had.  It was a 5 door 1.6 zetec on a 51 plate and it was noisy, the seats were uncomfortable, I hated the interior, I hated the ride and handling, the gearbox could be obstructive, the radio broke and the build quality seemed pretty so-so.  We replaced it with a Volvo S60 which I liked much more.  I know that amongst keen drivers these mk 1 Focus zetecs are considered to be really sweet cars and people rave about the handling.  Not for me though..........Ironically enough I am back in a Focus now as we have a Volvo V50 estate, which I understand is a reclothed mk 2 Focus.  

A mk1 focus saloon soft top ! Really ?

Folding hard top.  Apologies if I got my terminology wrong.  I am prone to amateur chod-spotting errors.

EDIT:

I've completely cocked up.  It was a MK2.  I got confused because of the chrome trim and the slightly weird rear-end.  Must have been a MK2.

I am ashamed.

I'll hand in my card.

I had one as a courtesy car a few weeks ago, I assume it was knackered and it had apparently been run without oil for a long time, but it rode and handled really really nicely. Lovely steering too, I thought. 

Fords aren't usually my thing but it really impressed me, and I could see why the press raved about them when they were new.

I think they're fantastic-looking things, that are decent to drive when not utterly shagged. A lot of them have received little in the way of love. 

It's been downhill all the way for the Focus since the first generation. Drove a second-gen diesel and it was utterly, utterly miserable.

i had a hire car when we had to do our first aid training cos we had to go to evesham- crocus 1.8 spurt

not overtly fast but quite capeable of playing drinking games with Olly Reid

work had an 1.6 tdci style which went well but no a/c in the middle of summer was oooof! and it smoked like Dot Cotton!

My Brother in Law has a 1.8 mk1 Focus, and he's persuaded his son to get one, now he is a dad.

Talking of Dads.  My dad bought a new 51 reg 2.0 ghia estate for £19K, (IN PLAIN WHITE FFS) when he retired and had to give his company Mondeo back, then he traded that for a NEW 59 reg 1.8 Titanium Estate in Blue, for £17K and recently he traded that in for a 1.3 ecoboost automatic in red for £15K.  He's 81 now. I guess this might be his last Ford. He's only ever had 3 cars which were not Fords.

a second hand morris 8 in 1958 when he left university, a new morris mini in 1959 - he has not a good word to describe Issigonis, and a New Hillman avenger 1.6 in 1974. Which needed new front wings before the first MOT. All his Ford Ownership* was estate cars in white or Beige apart from a Bright Yellow Mk3 Cortina

I say Ownership but a lot of them were company cars.

The only Focus I would think about buying today would be an ST170.

I've just got my estate through the mot, it has rough but original dealer plates and sticker, a wedge of service history and both keys.

It's got 3/4 of a tank of stale fuel so feels a little subdued and has covered more miles today than it has in over a year.

About as good as I remember them being when new, a magnolia car. Nothing special but does everything reasonably well.

I had the first one i ever saw as a hire car.

S reg. I couldn't have drawn more attention in a Ferrari with straight through pipes and a Stupid & co airbrushed murial.

Everyone wanted to look round it and sit in it. Not everyone liked it.

Someone's mum got one on a T reg brand new when I was at primary school, did like the styling, still do now tbh. That was my first sight of one

Would I have one? Possibly, their cheap enough now but I could probably get something else cheaper and more comfy/less rust prone

mine goes well for a bog standard  1.6 petrol  , no ABS , etc  shite  to go wrong , did a couple of day return trips to London ( 230 miles each way ) and the car did not cripple me like some previous Vauxshite , managed to do some 45mpg as well , normally about 35mpg with mixed town/motorway , inside I would prefer a little more boot space , handling is fun , as in fun , 4 wheel squeals around roundabouts , silly gutter scratching on the Hightown   s bends , gearbox is lovely and light as is the steering and clutch , brakes are a bit weak for my liking .

watch out for the rot on the rear sills and inner floor , steer clear of the oil burners with the injector issues

I had a black 1.6 Ghia saloon automatic. Pre facelift with indicators in bumper. Comfy seats was about all mine had going for it. Threw up abs and traction control fail lights with gay abandon,quite heavy on petrol with not a lot of performance in return. Final straw was when a tyre blew out on bypass and I jacked it up to change wheel. Lowered jack down and sill came with the jack. I'd definitely have another if it was a pre facelift again. I found the mk2 overall a better model in all honesty

I had a black 1.6 Ghia saloon automatic. Pre facelift with indicators in bumper. Comfy seats was about all mine had going for it. Threw up abs and traction control fail lights with gay abandon,quite heavy on petrol with not a lot of performance in return. Final straw was when a tyre blew out on bypass and I jacked it up to change wheel. Lowered jack down and sill came with the jack. I'd definitely have another if it was a pre facelift again. I found the mk2 overall a better model in all honesty

Airbag light is on constant on the one at work, will be an MOT fail. It might just be the last MOT it gets taken for. Not sure how many more miles it can cover. I imagine at 185k+, not too many more! 

The electrical side of things isn't very good and the locks wear out something chronic, ours only unlocks on passenger side. Thinking of swapping the lock set in a few months.

Actually that reminds me, mine was weird locking, If you locked it from Drivers door it would immediately unlock, if one day it decided to work, when you went to unlock it, only the drivers door would unlock.