Kia Magictits V6 (CLEANY UPDATE W/PICS 22/05)

fatharris

Glen, I tried most electrical things, it needs a decent code reader which I'm sure you (or someone near you) has. I never went anywhere in it other than 2 miles to the park and back so it never bothered me, if I was going anywhere further, I took something else. It misfires sometimes when you accelerate hard so I suspected something fuel related, but it didn't/doesn't do it all the time. Pain in the arse.

I really hope you and the good lady like it - clean the back out, even your springer will complain about Chesters mess :)

• 3 weeks later...

So, payday has rolled around once again, and I've got a small stack of readies in the bank.

Even to the point that when Herman got two punctures in one bloody week just before payday, I improvised a solution.

29572836_10156339481319669_5245403466559

Fully charged and ready to go!

However, two weeks leave at home has begun, so it will be rectified soon. For now, the Kia deserved some work.

Unfortunately, it was a bit buried on the driveway...

VqOxSIL.jpg

3E6TWaz.jpg

Yes, I still need to get rid of the Omega.

No worries though, just need to do a driveway shuffle....

WDJPhjW.jpg

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

Quick blast with air and we made some progress moving around the motors.

4gqAdqV.jpg

The Rover fits nicely in this tiny space.

ShHZXHK.jpg

So, in position (at last!)

OeUuUT7.jpg

And up. BONUS ARTY SHOT

ArKChkU.jpg

Brake reservoir cap off.

GrYss6u.jpg

Thankfully, the NSR caliper is perfectly fine and free to live another day.

Even with the wheels fitted, the OSR caliper was stuck on hard. Annoyingly, the order I placed at ECP over the bank holiday failed to go through (I'm blaming my phone) and I've ordered the wrong fucking side :oops: Luckily, I've placed an order for the correct side and will just not take the wrong one.

Whilst I was out, and it wasn't raining, I figured it'd be daft not to strip both sides down, ready for the new discs, pads and caliper.

gCe9aVb.jpg

Fluid connection was a simple banjo bolt - I've popped the end in a glove filled with fresh brake fluid to try and prevent excessive air ingress. Probably won't work.

4oR0XG0.jpg

With the caliper prised off, the extent of the pad wear was evident/

hrifNMW.jpg

Not much meat left on those.

Gs2WaUZ.jpg

Annoyingly, the carriers' lower bolt is obscured by the control arm bush, which had to be disconnected:

L7ZhHYv.jpg

Tn68H4s.jpg

With a few love taps from the copper faced hammer, the disc was free and came off with no dramas.

The NSR disc and pads were obviously going to get changed too, so they came off at the same time.

Plenty more meat on those pads, signifying a healthy caliper!

1DbCAIz.jpg

Shortly thereafter, the remaining components came off without any real hassle.

f4KRmCB.jpg

Stowed in the garage. Whilst they were in, all components were cleaned, slider pins re-greased, and the bolts copper slipped ready to go for tomorrow. Caliper has been chucked in the boot to hopefully avoid the surcharge.

OTOBZoZ.jpg

Current status - ONE WON'T GO AND ONE WON'T STOP.

pSkLO0q.jpg

And now, the photos that Dave has been dreading...

GROTTY INTERIOR SHOTS! :mrgreen:

QGlMBBn.jpg

By Dave's own admission, it was a dog car for two years. Luckily, as proven with the MG ZT I had a few years ago, I like a challenge.

And boy, what a challenge.

LRtRxqv.jpg

Luxury fur-lined carpets. Korea really thinks of it all :lol:

IQNklM7.jpg

Perforated leather may prove to be more of a challenge to clean.

as9cZ6G.jpg

Mud ingrained into the plastics. This won't actually be too hard to get out thankfully.

tDLNGh7.jpg

Luckily, the front half of the interior was spared from such a fate, and the boot is immaculate  :-D

t2BSkPW.jpg

It'd also not needed a wash for two years, and has grown a protective layer of moss in the crevices.

rxsHhfd.jpg

vu4y9N2.jpg

The tyres are in need of replacement  - interestingly, the less than three year old Nexens on the back aren't far behind either, despite having barely worn over the years.

LEvovHN.jpg

Headlights are a bit cloudy at the top, but nowhere near an MOT failure point.

pMDn30L.jpg

So, this concludes the first day of work on the Kia (yet to come up with a name for it).

wOoLMTP.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Am sure  that interior would respond to suitably diluted APC then some nice leather protectant. 

Ace looking car.

Omega looks spiffing too!

Omega is mega-dead - snapped valve in cylinder 3 - just haven't got around to getting shot of it.

Christ. Those dogs look like they had a good time. I want to see the back seats of the Bentley now!

The Bentley was immaculate as utterly gorgeous - Dave got his priorities right, and I don't blame him :lol:

Now come on, own up, you've doctored those pictures to make it look worse, as we all know, all my cars are immaculate inside and out! :)

Actually, I think you've been kind! I really did totally ignore it for two whole years, had it serviced by a garage (badly the wankers!) and MOTs and that's it. It did get washed a couple of times when I first got it! Because I used it all winter the dogs used to get in covered in mud and soaking wet, I used to open the back door with my head turned so I couldn't see inside, it was a bit like looking directly at Medusas head, to be avoided at all costs!

I'm quite ashamed of myself, I have never ignored a car so much in my life, no idea why I did that one? Glad to see the old middle dollop getting some love :)

Er, are you sure about the 'good' caliper? That wear looks pretty uneven to me. Which would suggest sticky sliders...

I mean good as in the sense that the wheel actually turned, the sliders have been cleaned and re-greased as standard routine anyway.

The rate any car goes through rear pads during daily use means it's not worth throwing large sums of money at it to fix. There is evidence that one of the sliders has been replaced in the past, as it's a different colour to the rest.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

So, onto today.

Made sure I was properly equipped.

sknJFaY.jpg

The sunshine was a welcome change from the usual mizzle and high winds.

e6vsgpS.jpg

After much swearing and a bit of blood, the OSR was re-assembled. The pads wouldn't fit for love nor money, so the paint got filed off the edge.

n7JJeYS.jpg

With even more swearing, blood and filing, the NSR was put back together too.

5wyYE4l.jpg

No picture, but the front end was jacked up, front wheels removed, and a full bleed was carried out. 

Annoyingly, I found the NSF caliper is slightly binding, but I'm confident that'll free up when it eventually hits the road again, it's not completely rock-solid like the other one.

Ah well, I'll consider that job ticked off for now, and look to move onto the next one in due course.

aupKufb.jpg

I had twenty minutes to spare today so I looked into the running issue. Idled it until it started misfiring, then disconnected the coil packs in turn (only on the front bank because that's all you can get to)

Cylinder 1 got disconnected and nothing changed. Swapped the coil packs over and it made a change when disconnected at cylinder 2. Result, the coil pack is sound.

Did the same with the injector plugs, and number 1 wasn't making a difference. Using one of those light up probes showed power getting to the injector. Ordered a replacement injector for £11 second hand to see if that helps matters whilst I wait for an OBD adapter to arrive so I can delve deeper.

I've never done wiring checks on an injector harness, does the return go to earth? Wasn't getting any continuity from the return line to earth but wasn't sure if I was meant to.

Sorry, no pictures today as I had limited time.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk