Dollywobbler's Starlet - £SOLD

dollywobbler

Glad I'm not the only one who suffers in car seats. Partly why I dread ZXs now sadly. Xantias and 406s are okay, but I'm yet to find something I can sit in for 5 plus hours without pain of some kind...

Mk3 Cavalier seats are pretty good. I drove my Cav from Calais to Dijon last year with one brief piss stop and my back felt more or less OK. Mind you sitting for 5 hours non-stop won't be good for anyone, no matter how fit they are.

Mk3 Cavalier is definitely a car I'm annoyed at myself for not owning. Enjoyed my run up the test hill in yours some years back. Seem to recall the seats were typical rock hard Vauxhall on the povo models though, so I'd definitely have to go CD I think. Plus, headlamp wipers. Shame those early Cavs are fast disappearing.

I really liked the pug 405 seats vulgalour fitted to the Xantia! They were proper comfy, better than the squashy velour in the Xm! The seats in the gooner give me backache after a few hours, but because I rarely drive that far it's not too bad. Will have to make micro adjustments for the shitefest run, or stop a few times

I have trouble in some cars, I'm 6'1" but have a long torso, sun roofs can be a real problem, so can short front wipers.

Ditto. Being 6ft 5in with a long body as well I couldn't get in most cars from the 80's and early 90's (unless Peugeot) if it had a sun roof without some severe neck-ache due to head being at an awkward angle; can't get in a lot of older Japanese cars for the same reason as they all appear to have lower rooflines and seats don't go far back enough for me. Mrs D's corolla is very uncomfortable for me both driving and as front passenger (I can't even get in the back!). Not been ion a Starlet in the same shape as yours DW, so if seats are same or similar to the Corolla I feel for you!

I found my Scimitars had comfy seats, managed a trim from Kent to Normandy in one of them over 7 hours with one stop and no aches and pains. The Saab's really comfy as well, I also find mk1 Kangoos really pleasing to be sat in. Mondeo 2 and Cougar seats are uncomfortable for me, also XJ6/XJR/S-type Jags.

MK1 Mondeo gave me horrific back and leg pain, 405 and Marea were great, Passat is comfortable but hard, AX was great but velor velcroed you in, Splash seats are good, 500 were chronic, old Swift (02) were lovely, Panda, Uno and Punto were ok, Yugo seats were very comfortable.

Leather seats are definitely worse for bad backs - every car I've ever owned with leather seats (XJ40s, 800 Sterlings) has resulted in back pain. I reckon it's the extra effort your lumbar has to make to stop you sliding around.

Best seats - Saab 95, Rover 820 Recaros (half leather half fabric), and the alcantara-trimmed ZT seats. Took a LONG time to get them right, but now they are *kisses fingers*

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY stole a couple of hours to fit the new rear wheel bearings and give it a minor service (ie oil and filters). Naturally, I managed to spill oil all over the garage, so entirely normal then. Gosh it's easy after the Lexus though! Much, much more peaceful too. Lovely.

CHEESE!

Dbo7-DhWsAAlLIA.jpg

The seats on my ex MG ZT were the best I have experienced. Everyone who rode in it said as much. Really good lumbar and lateral support. 300 mile plus journeys left everyone fresh and supple. Even my mum, and she is 82.

The leather seats in our current Rover 75 are squishy and soft, but nowhere near as supportive on long trips.

• 2 weeks later...

Unsurprisingly, I'm already bored with the Starlet. It's nice, and I like the colour, but it just isn't interesting enough! The Honda had major quirk factor, even if it was actually a bit shit to drive. 

So, I'm offering up the Starlet for swapsies. Must be Japanese, must be capable of taking me to Japan Classic Sunday in The Netherlands. What have you got?

31964324_10156420534543200_7673989308109

Ok. People are tempting me with tempting things, so maybe I'll see if a straight sale is feasible instead.

I think you need a Pajero Junior....lovely 1.1 Auto...

Or on the other hand how long have you got...I could help you import a car from Japan if you wanted like I did with my Prius...know the process and have the contacts to speed the process up...

Cheers,

James

Or an IS200...or are you done with Lexus’ that would be a nice one to cruise to Holland in...we could always get you a Copart special...pick up one of those for 3/400 squid...

Failing that...a Nissan Serena...ooohhhh hello gaAaaawjus!!!! (Yes it is supposed to be spelt wrong!) with a lovely 2.3d....oh yes!

Must be Japanese [...] What have you got?

I don't think this will relieve the not interesting enough problem... In fact they are probably really similar to drive.

35641669060_976f056b95_b.jpg

IMG_0373 by Matt S, on Flickr

Also it won't get you to The Netherlands as THE EXHAUST HAS RUBBED A HOLE IN THE SUMP.

Neighbour has a Pajero Junior manual that he's going to sell. Think he wants £2700 for it though, so out of my price range by a long way. 

I was looking at imports yesterday - how about a Nissan X-Trail GT? Looks like a normal X-Train, but has 280bhp. Probably about £3000 landed, but I'm not sure if anyone would want to buy it.