Dollywobbler's Starlet - £SOLD

dollywobbler

I own a shopping trolley.

DYp90deWsAATIE2.jpg

It really is a pleasant little car to blezz around in. Turn in isn't great, but it's good fun. Have just ordered a set of Nankang tyres, so that should improve matters. The front tyres lack tread, while the rears are cracked and degraded. Has new Unipart wiper blades fitted from a local motor factors - £3.50  each! That's improved matters no end.

Handbrake isn't brilliant, and I must admit that the service brake isn't really all that confidence-inspiring. Might have to have a look at the rear brakes. If I'm lucky, they just need adjusting up, but I reckon 75k means it could be ripe for new shoes. Great! 

How do you pronounce Cerulean then? What an odd colour name.

I can confirm that the two-speaker stereo is UTTER SHITE. It seems to struggle to find reception pretty much anywhere and makes the most horrible noise. Now, this is my biggest challenge. One thing I'll definitely miss from the Lexus is the music system. So, how do I replicate it? I want subby bass and crisp everything else. Cassette player a bonus as I'm not up with this modern tech, and CDs are a pain in the arse.

Get one with SD or USB input, then put all your music on an SD card or USB memory stick and hit shuffle.

How do you pronounce Cerulean then? What an odd colour name.

I can confirm that the two-speaker stereo is UTTER SHITE. It seems to struggle to find reception pretty much anywhere and makes the most horrible noise. Now, this is my biggest challenge. One thing I'll definitely miss from the Lexus is the music system. So, how do I replicate it? I want subby bass and crisp everything else. Cassette player a bonus as I'm not up with this modern tech, and CDs are a pain in the arse.

I'd be looking out for what was a high end head unit twenty years ago. JVC, Alpine, Sony. Whatever. Something that Little Timmy is throwing out because it's not got USB, Bluetooth, WiFi and 6G.

Then you want separate speakers. I'm doubting you'll have enough room in the doors for coaxial speakers, so perhaps some mids in the doors and tweeters at the bottom of the a-pillars? The mids will be firing at your ankles but that might have to be unless you want to get all Max Power 1994 and have some door pods made.

Then a sub in the boot, perhaps some more mids in the rear quarters? I get some pretty good sound by using the rear door speakers more than the front, just tip the fader to R a bit and then actually those speakers are closer to my ears than the front ones, because of where the seat is.

You could do a half decent video on putting this together out of eBay specials. Maybe find a head unit that has subwoofer out rather than buying an amp and crossover to keep the cost down.

I'd be looking out for what was a high end head unit twenty years ago. JVC, Alpine, Sony. Whatever. Something that Little Timmy is throwing out because it's not got USB, Bluetooth, WiFi and 6G.

Then you want separate speakers. I'm doubting you'll have enough room in the doors for coaxial speakers, so perhaps some mids in the doors and tweeters at the bottom of the a-pillars? The mids will be firing at your ankles but that might have to be unless you want to get all Max Power 1994 and have some door pods made.

Then a sub in the boot, perhaps some more mids in the rear quarters? I get some pretty good sound by using the rear door speakers more than the front, just tip the fader to R a bit and then actually those speakers are closer to my ears than the front ones, because of where the seat is.

You could do a half decent video on putting this together out of eBay specials. Maybe find a head unit that has subwoofer out rather than buying an amp and crossover to keep the cost down.

This is the challenge. While I appreciate 3VOM's offer, I really don't want some modern head unit spoiling the look of the interior. Because I'm an idiot who stresses about originality on 75,000-mile, 20-year old shitters. 

Only current speakers are in the dash ends, and are presumably tiny. Nothing in the doors. Some models had four speakers, so there must have been somewhere to put them in the back - not sure where. Would be interesting to see how good I can make it without hacking the interior about. That's the tricky bit.

Bet they were fitted on the parcel shelf like the Micra.  I fitted a £50 Sony unit in the Passat when the original got Alzheimers, its just as good if not better, and has USB, If you don't want a CD player they are smaller and cheaper.

Top buyage! Didn't trigger have a sporty black one of these a few years back?

I did! http://autoshite.com/topic/19108-trigs-car-in-front-bonnet-repairs/

I think I sold it for £900 in the end to a women in Kent, it didn't last every long after i sold it so i suspect it's been killed, i got the impression she wasn't going to look after it :(

Funnily enough i saw a older lady this evening in town driving an identical black SR to mine but dirtier, i still think they are a good looking little car and dare i say it even better than the Micra, I enjoyed mine on the twisty bits, especially helped by the factory lowered suspension and wider Speedline alloys but the motorways got a bit annoying as it revved quite high for me and after it got hit and got a bit fed up with it.

Yours looks really fit though DW, nice colour and snazzy alloys, I can see you keeping this for a while TBH.

This is the challenge. While I appreciate 3VOM's offer, I really don't want some modern head unit spoiling the look of the interior. Because I'm an idiot who stresses about originality on 75,000-mile, 20-year old shitters.

Only current speakers are in the dash ends, and are presumably tiny. Nothing in the doors. Some models had four speakers, so there must have been somewhere to put them in the back - not sure where. Would be interesting to see how good I can make it without hacking the interior about. That's the tricky bit.

When was the last time you used your back seats? Chuck a couple of Hifi speakers back there and wire them up with a decent quality 2 channel amp- I reckon you could have a great sounding set up for under £50 on eBay. If you don’t want to modify anything, it’ll sound 100 times better than any boy racer crap shoehorned into the stock locations.

People bang on about soundstage being better if it comes from the front and there’s definitely truth to it, but I had the sound system sounding nice in my X1/9 with the speakers behind me in their factory location.

I own a shopping trolley.

DYp90deWsAATIE2.jpg

Handbrake isn't brilliant, and I must admit that the service brake isn't really all that confidence-inspiring. Might have to have a look at the rear brakes. If I'm lucky, they just need adjusting up, but I reckon 75k means it could be ripe for new shoes. Great! 

Good luck with the rear brakes, they can be a real pain. Quite a strange setup. Took ages to try and get a good handbrake, even though it felt tight and did work, just wouldn't work as well as I felt it should. New cables helped a lot, even though the originals looked and felt OK

brake_9.jpg

Oh, that looks, er, interesting...

Returning to speakers, always used to have hi fi speakers in my 2CVs, as the speakers would sort-of slot under the seats nicely. The rear footwells on the Starlet are so tight I'm not sure Hi Fi speakers would fit. Rear legroom is appalling. It's better in the Nippa!

I've got a pair of these that I slightly modified the mounting tabs on one before deciding not to use them after all.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JVC-500W-Total-5-Inch-13cm-Dual-Cone-Car-Door-Shelf-Coaxial-Speakers-New-Pair/351374018280?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

.... if they're of any interest DW.

ETA: don't want anything for them.

I've got a pair of these that I slightly modified the mounting tabs on one before deciding not to use them after all.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JVC-500W-Total-5-Inch-13cm-Dual-Cone-Car-Door-Shelf-Coaxial-Speakers-New-Pair/351374018280?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

.... if they're of any interest DW.

ETA: don't want anything for them.

Thanks. Let me see if they'll fit first. 

In other news, finally gave it a wash.

DYu98gwWAAEwwXT.jpg

DYu9-dLW4AAdDJ1.jpg

That is a whole lot better!

Back to gearboxes, according to the most trustworthy* site for references (Wikipedia), the Starlet and Corolla E110 with the 1.3 4E-FE engine share the same C150 transmission. If this is the case, 5th gear is 22.5mph/1000rpm in Mrs Dustman's Corolla, so just over 3000rpm at 70