Dollywobbler's Starlet - £SOLD

dollywobbler

I'm dragging this out of the News 24 thread. I have sold the Lexus, to someone I know in the North East of Englandcestershire. A price was discussed that included delivery. I was aiming for the £90 Mazda, but all has gone silent there. Given it needed an alternator and a clutch, maybe it wasn't the car I'm looking for.

Buying a car to get home seemed a sensible idea, but I wasn't finding much that gave me joy. Then I spotted this!

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1990-H-PLATE-Toyota-Corolla-1-6-auto-Executive-ONLY-40K-MILES/263385765467?hash=item3d5303d65b:g:ZewAAOSwO9JaMQ4a

£700, 40k miles, hubba hubba. Only, I can see some rot in the arches. I phoned the seller, who could tell me absolutely nothing of any use whatsoever. No idea what it's like underneath, no idea about service history, no idea about cambelt. Crossed off the list.

That's very much the sort of vehicle I'm interested in though. No bigger. I've had enough of barge life - though a friend is trying to tempt me with a cheapy Nissan QX. 2.0 V6, no cow, non-Junkman transmission. I'm not feeling the love though.

Then this popped up on my Gumtree search. 

$_86.JPG

Love the colour, lots of recent expenditure and I think it'd be a pretty decent steer. MOT history looks good (once I finally worked out what the final letter of the number plate is). I like.

Then I got cold feet completely, and considered collecting the ROFFLE Micra, and just being satisfied with no car at all. After all, I still have the Honda, 2CV, Nippa and (soon) the Invacar. Imagine that. Actually replacing a Lexus with an Invacar. 

So, at the moment, your guess is as good as mine. The Starlet looks bonny, but leaving a gap on the fleet ahead of Bulgaria (and money in my pocket) might also be considered sensible. We shall see what develops...

Aha, the Corolla is at that place in Kirkcaldy.

Me and Mr Coffees have seen that seller on ebay many times selling all sorts of shonky heaps. We've joked about visiting for a while but have never got round to it.

That place also has some belters now and then, like a Proton Persona Coupe!

The seller of that corolla pretty much deals with vans, pickups and exports, it's where I picked up my l200, they were hopeless about giving out information other than it was still available.

When I arrived to collect they were in the middle of painting over the rust in the bed having already made a rubbish job of the arches.

I turned up, took it for a spin, it seemed OK so I handed over the cash, they seemed a bit miffed that I didn't bother trying to haggle but I really couldn't be bothered.

Anyway, they regularly put their business cards on old cars in driveways in my area with big bold red writing saying something along the lines of untaxed cars with no Mot are illegal/you will be fined etc so some unsuspecting people will call them to get rid of their old "scrap" cars.

I imagine that's where the Toyota came from.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Aye, I saw that Corolla a month or so ago when I had a sniff around their yard. I'll try and find pics and post them up.

Edit: Scratch that, I deleted the pics. From memory it was steamed up inside and looked like it had been there for a while, I didn't look any closer than that I'm afraid