Next BX, and one that I kept for a fair while:
A 1989 DTR Turbo. This is the car shown above gaining an additional engine in it's boot, and was also the BX that I held on to for the longest. It was also proof that cars are cheap when you don't need one: I had a car on the road at the time, but this was advertised on BXclub as needing a water pump, but had a full tank of diesel, several months of Tax, nearly a year MOT, a brand new octopus (which anx BX owner will know is an arse of a job) and a taped up sunroof, all for the huge sum of £60.
I was off like a thingy up a wotsit to go and buy it!
It got given a cambelt and water pump, and was ready for service. Except I had no need for another car at the moment.
As luck* would have it, my landlord at the time had just sold one of his cars and hadn't replaced it, so needed a runabout for a few months while they get another car.. so in the interests of Landlord-tennant harmony, I lent it to him. I had no intention of charging him for it.. he was very tolerant of my vehicular shenannigans at his home, especially as he lived not 30' away from me. Nevertheless, when I got the car back, he'd put another 6 months tax on it, which was nice.
Shortly after I got it back, a friend asked if I had a spare car available, as a friend of hers was in a similar predicament. Yes, actually, no problem. We agreed on a "rent" of £1 a day and she was thrilled. Loved the car too. I got it back after another 3-4 months of service, just as the MOT was due to expire.
Shoved it in, and it passes first time. Unbefuckinglievable!
Not long thereafter, I decide I'm going to use it, so that's when it starts throwing a wobbly, obviously. First the alternator brushes wore down to nothing, with no warning, as the no-charge warning lamp won't work without the brushes connection present, meaning no warning lamp and no charge!:
Which meant stealing the alternator from the chopped-off front of a BX shown earlier.
Then the battery clamps fell to bits. Useless PSA lead battery clamp shite:
Then the exhaust became rather ventilated:
So I cheated. As I had use of a vehicle lift, I took the exhaust off and welded it up. Completely. Not only the leaky bits, but also all the clamps and joints too:
So it was a one-piece exhaust. The only join was at the manifold. Good luck to anyone trying to get that off again!
Then I had a real issue.. the front brake flexible hoses. A little backstory on Citroen hydraulics:
The pipework to the brakes (and the rest of the hydraulic system) is 3.5mm OD pipework, with about a 2mm bore as that was clearly sufficient. The joiners were clearly designed to be as standard as possible, as the tube bolts that hold the joins together are M8 thread. All good so far. Unfortunately, when the system was adapted to include ABS, the 2mm bore of the pipes was really not sufficient to cope with fluid hammering back and forth, so everything was enlarged by 1mm. Bore was 3mm (a 125% increase of fluid area.. plenty!) the tube OD was 4.5mm, and the tube-bolts were increased to M9. Er, what now? M9. Yes, it's a standard metric size, but what? OK, then.. I can see how this came about.
What this means for the front flexis is that a BX with normal braking has an M8 female thread in the car end, and a BX +ABS has an M9 female thread. However, it appears that there was a industry-wide error in the listings for BX +ABS brake flexi specifications, as everywhere I tried said that they were the same. No, they're not. Even places that had a different listing for them showed the +ABS ones as also being M8 thread. Which they clearly aren't.
So I tried getting some flexis that are M9 at the vehicle end. And are LHM compatible. Not a hope in hell. Time to break out the ENGINEERING (cue A-team theme tune)
These are alledgedly BX +ABS front brake hoses. They do not fit.
So, we modify:
Drill the inner bore for the end of the tube from 3.5mm to 4.5mm. With my highly accurate* depth stop:
Now drill the threaded area out to 7.8mm, which is the closest drill bit I had to the root-diameter of an M9 thread. Also just barely touched the end of the threaded area to remove the burr from the 4.5mm drill bit, so the rubber seal doesn't get shredded.
Now cut an M9 thread with my very handy* M9 thread tap. (I had to hunt A-Ha style to find a first-middle-bottoming M9 thread tap kit. I still have it now!)
Blow out the swarf:
And hey presto, it fits!:
Lather, Rinse and Repeat for the other side, and the car is ready for MOT again!
Which it failed on a buggered front wishbone bush. I didn't have time to fix it properly, but this stopped the knocking, and (stunningly) passed:
One of my better bodges.
The DTR was a great car. I drove it tens of thousands of miles.
In the end, I was offered a swap for a CX.. the 2.0 petrol one featured a few posts ago. This is the BX that ended it's days crushed under the side of a 40' articulated lorry at the junction between the M32 and the M4. I was rather sad it ended it's days that way (not by my hand I might add).
During my ownership it also had complete failure of the dashboard backlighting, meaning it was impossible to drive at night, ignition barrel failure (fun job) and one of the control cables popped off the heater box, necessitating removal of the entire dashboard to get to the bastard thing. Oh, and the fuel gauge stopped working when the level sensor jammed at maximum.