Talbot's selection of historic chod. Mainly French, in no particular order.

Talbot

The CX "Turbo Diesel" was a turbo only, and was from late 1984-ish onwards. It was available with the Series 1 CX (chrome bumper) and extended into the CX series 2 (plastic bumper).

The CX "Turbo 2 Diesel" added an intercooler, and was from about 1988 onwards. It was (hence) only available on the Series 2 CX with plastic bumpers, and was the one with the terrible reliability issues due to block porosity.

Essentially, I was building a CX Turbo 2 Diesel engine but into a Turbo 1 block, with the pipework and oil-filter arrangement from the Van U-series engine. It was a real bitsa, but it would have been brilliant.

I was also looking into fitting a bosch injection pump from an XUD turbo, as they can easily be turned up to 120hp and more, and would have allowed running on Veg as an option. There was plenty of space under the floor of the van for several more large fuel tanks and any amount of pipework etc. so it could have made it a very cheap vehicle to run with a proper "twintank" conversion.

As I said at the beginning of the thread... I should have done more with my time there.

We have. That was the CCC meet where we had a "disreputable blue van corner", population myself and one blue Acadiane AK400. You had the 2.5TD Express there, and I had a nosey around it. I remember the conversation about the front bumper, in that I quite liked the plastic moulded one on the campers, and fancied finding one for my van. You commented that the normal metal one is still underneath, so it's just a clip-on upgrade.

That was either 2007 or 2008. A decade ago now. I feel old.

Never did find a bumper for mine for less than £stupid.

Wow, you've got a good memory.

Those bumpers were absolutely rubbish!! Screwed onto the original with some self tappers. I had one 'leave' the vehicle on a windy afternoon on the Isle of Harris. Just ripped the fibreglass round the screws.

I'd been mucking about with a 1970s film SLR at the time and bought black and white film by mistake, they are blue though I promise.

post-24362-0-84889500-1520617684_thumb.jpg

Ah, that's better.  Former cars of mine and mnde's here as well.

post-24362-0-80473500-1520617754_thumb.jpg

Oh, and as I was looking for these pictures I came across something that I think belonged to Zelandeth?

post-24362-0-26428000-1520617858_thumb.jpg

Didn't XAN7IA belong to the chap who wrote the CCC Xantia columns?

He'd had that gold Xantia (i think a 1.9TD?) from nearly new and kept it tucked away in a garage so it'd only done about 20k back in 2007ish. It was a lovely car but I remember him telling me he had much more fun with various V6 Xantias he'd been playing with.

This was the Talbot we discussed bumpers over.....

post-17870-0-10310900-1520619020_thumb.jpg

Just to add some context to the comment I made in the first post about the absurdly sloppy gear change I had in the first Talbot Express. This is the first vehicle model I have come across that has a different gearchange depending on whether the vehicle is LHD or RHD.. not just moving the gearstick to allow for access to the left or right, but a completely different type of change. The RHD version has a conventional floor change.. Like this: (although generally with more front seats in normal service.)

post-3568-0-89194600-1520672338_thumb.jpg

However, the LHD version had a manual column change. The arrangement of the driving position meant that the linkage was able to go directly from the steering column down into the selector on the top/back of the gearbox. I've never had a chance to drive one, but I bet it is much more positive and accurate to use, and makes the van a little bit less physical to drive, as you don't have to lean forward to reach the gearstick.

post-3568-0-46486200-1520672078_thumb.jpg

The odd thing is that the RHD version still uses the same steering column, so all the mounting points and pivots for the column change are there. I did design a system that would have allowed a column change on a RHD vehicle, with a simple linkage from the right to the left. Never did do it, always something more important that needed doing on it!

I can remember regularly using a RHD Citroen C20 (is that right?) petrol van on an E plate that had a column change in about 1992. Did all the earlier Sevel vans have that or was this an anomaly? I should say that the linkage was a tad worn on this too which made gearchanges fun.

I have a Fiat Ducato LWB medium high top 2.8idtd that was made into a massive spec motor caravan from new (google ‘Murvi Morello’) and I love it. Generally use it every day and it’s adaptable to carry 5-7 people or lots of tools, tow my a-frame or go off to Europe 5-up at 34mpg.

Best thing is it’s very discreet and metallic silver with no graphics or such shite, so I always ‘wild camp’.

I lived in it for 18 months (after a year in a Merc 814 six cylinder 7.5 tonne horsebox complete with wood-fired Rayburn) and will probably do a write up of it at some point.

I can remember regularly using a RHD Citroen C20 (is that right?) petrol van on an E plate that had a column change in about 1992. Did all the earlier Sevel vans have that or was this an anomaly? I should say that the linkage was a tad worn on this too which made gearchanges fun.

That's an anomaly. From factory it was LHD column change, RHD floor change. The vehicle would still be a C25, just a 2.0 petrol version. They were very popular as campers, as they were a cheaper base vehicle, and the limited mileage of a camper means the poor fuel economy is less of an issue. Also quieter.

I suspect someone saw the mountings for the column change and thought they would do the same as I was planning... they just *actually got on with it* rather than just daydreaming like I did.

This C25 was a low roof/SWB that must have been only five years old at the time. Felt very ‘well used’ and flimsy, but I’m certain the column change was fitted from new as I’m a bit of a nerd on these things and thought it was interesting at the time. The plastics etc were as per all the surrounding stuff (colour etc) too.

I think it had had a bit of a life though. I can remember thinking that I’d never actually seen one like it before, most of these being Talbot Express.

It's quite possible that the factory supplied it with a RHD column change as a special order. There were a very limited number supplied with an automatic gearbox. Never shown in the brochures, but I've seen two, and they were identical and clearly factory done.

Should add that when working on placement near St Dizier in France (I think SierraMikeFoxtrot mentioned he worked there for a while once in another post) I used a LWB high top C25 with the 2.5D engine and column change. Nice vehicle. Was with L’office National de la Chasse. Also used a cracking beige Renault 4 with a rubber lined rear and no back seats, poss a sump guard too. Nice.

Great Fred, I've seen a Talbot panel van a few times around Stroud of late so there's one still on the road.

If it's a lwb high-top I may have to hunt him down and leave him my number for when he's done with it.

I'd love to get mine fixed. Wouldn't even cost that much cash... just time!

Right. That's quite enough J5/C25 bothering for now.

Next up. The vehicle that has been mentioned a few times so far. CX.

CX are a twat of a vehicle. I love how they look. I love how hydraulically complex they are. I love the diravi and I love the interior.

The engines, however, are a complete and utter bodge. Engine bay (very clearly) designed for an aircooled flat 6 with a transaxle and inbord brakes, and what does it get? A nasty old inline-4cylinder engine that basically comes from the Traction avant, with a lancia (IIRC) gearbox bodged onto it and bugger all access to anything. Hurumph. Still.. when my first Talbot Express had it's OMGHGF, I got offered a CX by a complete and utter mentalist (who turned out to be an utter wanker, but that's another story) on the basis that I was to break it, as he had an issue with the CCC and he wanted to "deprive them of a source of parts for CXs". Really? I don't think one CX is going to make a blind bit of difference. Still, I went and got it and drove it home:

post-3568-0-29223700-1520689278_thumb.jpg

tumblr_ngjrqlYMj41qz7fwgo1_1280.jpg

Yes, it's very pretty. It's also one of the very rare TRD turbo diesel models imported into the UK, that the dealer then contacted Citroen and told them they cannot sell a "TuRD" car, can you change the model. Which they did, hence all later ones were DTR turbo. The registration would lend weight to that, as it was initially registered to Citroen UK.

It had it's issues though:

post-3568-0-49232400-1520689615_thumb.jpg

A CX, with rust? Never! Blasphemy!

post-3568-0-30012300-1520689689_thumb.jpg

Oh, ok, maybe just a bit. (Actually, that tailgate is really not bad at all for a CX)

So I dealt with that rot by systematically completely ignoring it, and just using the car for the remainder of the MOT. Nice thing to drive. Powerful enough and super-floaty-comfortable. I think it could have been even better as the spheres were clearly a little flat, but it was still very good.

It also managed to disgrace itself in exactly the way an old Citroen should. The entire LHM system was absolutely fine, but the wiring was fragile to say the least. The smell of hot cables/switches is very obvious, and occured rather too regularly.

So, it stayed on the driveway and looked lovely next to all the other citroens.

post-3568-0-13360400-1520689906_thumb.jpg

I then got wind of another Turbo 1 Diesel car that was somewhat of a shed, but could well be a good source of spares for this one. Having a whole vehicle for spares is good insurance, and meant I would be able to fix anything that needed fixing, right?

post-3568-0-36452800-1520690018_thumb.jpg

Except.. arse.. that's a series 2 model, and hence most of the vulnerable bits are completely different. And it's an estate so most of the suspension is different. And the interior is completely different. And the doors are different. Still, looks good doesn't it? No? Not as pretty as the saloon model? Ok, no, it's a bit of a brute actually.

More CXs to come.

Pretty much how i feel about my bx's. I'm on the waiting list for a spine fusion and basically my spine is knackered. Today I drove 270 odd miles in the BX and no aggravation to my back at all. Tonight I'll drive my expensive truck with its 1500 quid fancy air seat and i'll be in agony with 15 mins.

If it's a lwb high-top I may have to hunt him down and leave him my number for when he's done with it.

I'd love to get mine fixed. Wouldn't even cost that much cash... just time!

No, it's a swb regular panel van, blue I think; quite a few old vans around here, Benzes, two mk1 traffics I know of, a Peugeot J4. Time as always is the issue, hopefully longer days and sunshine will allow more time and improve motivation :)

..., I got offered a CX by a complete and utter mentalist (who turned out to be an utter wanker, but that's another story) on the basis that I was to break it, as he had an issue with the CCC and he wanted to "deprive them of a source of parts for CXs". Really? I don't think one CX is going to make a blind bit of difference. .....

There are only about 140-150 on the road each year anyway.

The "EBL" plate on yours reminds me of the similar RHD TRD - also plated "EBL" - that came up on Retro Rides some years ago.

There are only about 140-150 on the road each year anyway.

This was 2005. There were many many more CXs around at the time. You could still pick up an MOT'd one in not-ruined condition for a few hundred quid, and a grand would buy a GTi Turbo 2 in good order.

This was 2005. There were many many more CXs around at the time. You could still pick up an MOT'd one in not-ruined condition for a few hundred quid, and a grand would buy a GTi Turbo 2 in good order.

Can't turn back the clock now. I should have traded in my 635CSi (refurbished 2 years previously) and spent the cash on a CX, hopefully with cash left over.

*sighs*

I have some photos of that event which I'll add later. It was a great fun weekend and yes, hard to believe it was so long ago!

I remember that event (and I use the word 'remember in the loosest possible sense...)

Despite being a long-time BX owner, I brought the van - only owned it a few years at this point, and still very much a work in progress.

post-5223-0-94282400-1520719446_thumb.jpg

Yours truly, listening to the Levellers :-) (Still fully clothed at this point!)

post-5223-0-09040600-1520719633_thumb.jpg

Adam, known in various BX and CX circles needed to do a clutch on his 2.0 Douvrin CX. I include it here, as by an odd set of circumstances, I would end up owning this CX.

Up in the air for a gearbox out. Thankfully the Douvrin units don't use the absurd camshaft-through-the-gearbox design, so if you're a bit careful you can get the gearbox out while leaving the engine in place.

post-3568-0-53729500-1520718764_thumb.jpg

Success! Having that overhead gantry is just so useful. Rather than having to support the engine from below, which is a bind and very wobbly, another ratchet strap over the cross-bar means it won't go anywhere. Much easier.

post-3568-0-85468900-1520719202_thumb.jpg

The old clutch was absolutely shot to hell and back. Not only had the rivits been scoring the clutch pressure plate, but the release bearing was just about ready to punch through the diaphragm spring fingers.

post-3568-0-43528000-1520719360_thumb.jpg

post-3568-0-89350600-1520719436_thumb.jpg

On a day out, at a pub not far from where I used to live.

post-3568-0-58212000-1520719852_thumb.jpg

A bit after that, Adam had some more issues with it. Failed head gasket, so he came over and stayed for a bit while we did the work. Head off:

post-3568-0-36832200-1520720090_thumb.jpg

Head skimmed. I did the skim on this myself, as I was working (briefly) at a workshop that had a fair number of machine tools (boring machine, skimming machine, crank/flywheel balancing etc.) and took my time over it and got a decent surface with barely anything removed. Result!

post-3568-0-51673900-1520720205_thumb.jpg

New head gasket in place.

post-3568-0-42568700-1520720492_thumb.jpg

Head back on. My word that's a crappy boring looking engine.

post-3568-0-13946500-1520720865_thumb.jpg

A couple of years later, and it's now my car. I swapped it for an early-ish BX TurboDiesel, which will be making an appearance later in this thread when I get on to BXs. Adam needed a more economic car, and I wasn't doing a lot of miles, so a petrol wasn't going to cost me a fortune. Good swap I thought!

Here it is on the now infamous lift where I used to work for a while when I was doing some pre-mot checks. It was stunningly rust free underneath.:

post-3568-0-02088400-1520721118_thumb.jpg

I also decided that some headlamp yellowers were the order of the day, but could only get some for the H4 lamps that are in the outer portion of the headlamp. The H1 additional main beam lamps in the Bi-Optics headlamps remained white.

post-3568-0-60533900-1520721384_thumb.jpg

Also.. when changing tyres on a CX rim yourself and you need to break the beads...

post-3568-0-22316000-1520721479_thumb.jpg

The CX was my daily driver up to about 2011, and even when I then had a company supplied vehicle (more about that later) I kept it roadworthy. I eventually retired it in 2012 and it went to live up in the barn on my parents' property up in Welsh Wales. I do wish I'd kept it on the road, as it was a great car, gave fairly good economy (nearly 40mpg at times) and there was no reason to retire it other than I just didn't need it on the road.

Sadly, I had to clear that barn about a year ago, and it went off to live at RichardK's place, where it was then destined to be used to restore another CX. Shame really, as it would have been a good CX to restore itself as the floorpans were still absolutely perfect. The rear 3/4 panel had some rather nasty rot in it, but I had a factory replacement panel available for it.

As far as I know, it's dead now. :(

....I also decided that some headlamp yellowers were the order of the day, but could only get some for the H4 lamps that are in the outer portion of the headlamp. The H1 additional main beam lamps in the Bi-Optics headlamps remained white.attachicon.gif20090915_Yellows (4).jpg...

At least the reflective surfaces hadn't started peeling off....

Didn't XAN7IA belong to the chap who wrote the CCC Xantia columns?

He'd had that gold Xantia (i think a 1.9TD?) from nearly new and kept it tucked away in a garage so it'd only done about 20k back in 2007ish. It was a lovely car but I remember him telling me he had much more fun with various V6 Xantias he'd been playing with.

This was the Talbot we discussed bumpers over.....

I saw one of these near Avranches on Thursday. Was it this one ?

Pic seems to have gone a awol, I'm on about the Talbot camper.

it went off to live at RichardK's place, where it was then destined to be used to restore another CX. Shame really, as it would have been a good CX to restore itself as the floorpans were still absolutely perfect. The rear 3/4 panel had some rather nasty rot in it, but I had a factory replacement panel available for it.

As far as I know, it's dead now. :(

Not the gold one he was using 2 years or so ago? Dodgy synchro on 2nd iirc. 

The CX is the thinking man's DS.