thinking of selling my 740. It's been a great car to me but I'm really starting to feel like I want a change I've bought a Prelude. I've got my eye on something on eBay that's equally bad on fuel, but a hell of a lot more stylish*. Also, I want an airier cabin...
provided I can get the car I want, would anyone be interested in my Volvo?
tentative, and not going on eBay etc - if I can get a quick sale to buy the car I want that'd be great, but if I can't get it for any reason I'll need to keep the Volvo until something else comes up. I'll sell it for the right car though.
- 1987 Volvo 740 GLE 2.3 automatic estate
- as advised by CMS, this is the best combination of trim, engine, gearbox etc
- 176000 miles
- MOT to 28th June
- D832YHG for the MOT history.
The car has a bucketload of service history with it, documenting most of its life.
- all electrics work, except the dash dimmer.
- body straight, no dents. Paint has a few marks here and there and a bit has been badly touched up by the sunroof.
- 2 wheels away being powdercoated, could do the other two to match if buyer wishes. The car comes with 3 spare wheels, the factory ones and two black 240 steels.
- interior trim is almost completely intact
- new rear light clusters
- new sidelight/indicator units. One has a small hole made by a stone in it unfortunately.
- self levelling rear suspension seems to work, and isn't Nivomat.
- 4 nearly new Avon tyres.
- 5 keys
- retrofitted transmission cooler
- HBOL, brochures etc included
- brakes. Don't know if I'll have time to fit them or not but there are two recon calipers to be fitted to the rear of the car soon, if the car sells before they can be fitted they'll be included, cost £120 from Rock Auto. Front caliper is slightly sticky, think it just needs the piston properly pushing in. A vacuum hose needs replacing but that will be sorted soon.
- sunroof tilts but doesn't slide, the weatherstrip is rotten and disintegrating, and the roof doesn't sit flush on the outside. It does seal though and doesn't leak. However there's a bit of rust inside the aperture that needs treating, the sunroof needs to either be retracted or dropped out to treat it.
- on a related note the headlining is fucked.
- slightly melted fusebox around the fuel pump fuse, no idea what's going on but doesn't affect car's functionality.
- ATF might need changing soon.
- Diff seal leaks, needs a new gasket making (will possibly sort if there's time)
- starter is on a push button (key still needed), has been like that for much longer than I've had the car. Not really an issue just something to know.
- coolant leak, needs topping up now and then.
That's all I can think of really, the car is fundamentally sound, and can be driven away, test drives are welcome, etc etc.
It cleans up wonderfully.
I'm pricing this at £1000, in the hope I'll get a reasonable offer. It really is a tidy car and will do someone wonderfully with minimal work.
Car is located in east Manchester a couple of miles from J23 M60 and the M67.
Will swap for an XJ40 or other interesting automatic. Ability to carry bicycles a bonus.