Ford Mondeo Base - Sale aborted.

BorniteIdentity

As posted in the Tat thread, this little gem has turned up RIGHT on my doorstep.  Literally, it's in the next village.  Obviously, it'd make the perfect partner for the Sierra bASe - but I'm at my limit and seem to be unable to sell any of my current fleet because of overbonding issues.

Would anyone be up for a group buy/a raffle?

$_86.JPG

How rusty is it though? If its a 1.6 saloon you'll be fending off the banger racers bidding on it as well.

It is 4 miles from my house - and I can see it at 1300 today.  I've asked him to not sell it in the meantime!

There are absolutely no advisories for rust on the last 12 years of MOTs; in fact the only fail was 6 years ago for a wonky headlamp and no water in the resevoir.

If its got some test on it then its probably worth having at that money. You don't stand to lose a lot if its a nail.

I'd just check the clutch is OK, when that goes its a throw it away job. Probably make sure it isn't pissing water in either, not a deal breaker but its a swine to sort out.

You are looking for a cash job on a clutch on one of these around £450. That's new CSC, clutch. Probably a new crank end seal as well but they are about £18-20.

That's assuming its slipping, they go for a while like that. Could have had a new clutch in for all we know. Bonus if it has. Coming up for its second belt as well, that's 60k on these silver tops.

You could either run it till it drops or put money into it but it'll get expensive like that.

Rust would be my check, usually end of sills, by this point its usually rotted the inners out as well. Also boot floor where it meets the inner arch, back of the floor immediately in front of the fuel filter. Also brake pipes as they go over the tank.

Good intel here - thanks very much.  None of this particularly worries me tbh; the Sierra has had all of these and cost over double to buy.  MOT until June which gives us a bit of time.  

The ONLY problem is sorting out money when the bills come in, which is why I'd rather have bought this alone.  I just don't think it's possible to do at the moment.  I'll go speak to the chap and see what it's like.

@Sierraman - remember you did that Mondeo buying guide thread? Can you find it, cos I can't.

Check for hot air coming into the cabin too once up to temperature. If blower motor only works on one/two speeds, less of a problem, just a new resistor.

Check also power steering pipes, run along the subframe on the left hand side as you stand in front of the car under the bonnet (north/south). They rust out as exposed to salt and muck all the time. Can be bodged.

If its got some test on it then its probably worth having at that money. You don't stand to lose a lot if its a nail.

I'd just check the clutch is OK, when that goes its a throw it away job. Probably make sure it isn't pissing water in either, not a deal breaker but its a swine to sort out.

Stop chucking cars away for nowt! These deserve a better fate, now.