I can Haz more Vauxhall shite, New Wheelz

sutty2006

Mrs6C absolutely loved the styling of the saloon.

A great shape, all that flush-fit glass and the many parallel lines made a fine design, IMHO. It was a bit like 1990s industrial architecture, all glass and painted metal.

Always had a soft spot for these........have had a couple of GSI 3 litres, which are lovely...................traces of Chevy Caprice /Buick Roadmaster in the styling. Rear wheel arch rot always a worry.................'andsome though.

We were not allowed over 2.0 Ltr at dealership so no GSi for me. In fact my boss put a 2.3D Frontera on the road for himself and was called to group HQ to be hauled over the coals so I don't know how I got away with a 2.3D Carlton!

I'm sure these were really rated by the caravan club set.

They were, my dad was dead-set on one to pull our Lunar Moonlight based on Camping & Caravanning Club towcar reports. But residuals were too high for local second-hand examples, and we ended up with a Sierra 1.8 Estate instead.

I'd have one like a shot.

Today is full of cold. Too cold to be out tinkering and exploring. I did however venture out for milk and crumpets. A brief look around the dash unveiled some odd switches that light up, unsure what they do though.

And it must have hit 88mph at one point and went to America.....

post-17429-0-29419500-1519908054_thumb.jpeg

post-17429-0-45891000-1519908092_thumb.jpeg

post-17429-0-04437100-1519908119_thumb.jpeg

Main stealers want to charge 15 quid. Wanted to test the aerial too as it doesn’t appear to have one. The serial number is GM1303N5414920 for anyone willing to have a go :)

Message Joey and ask him, remember he m.o.t tests at Arnie Clarke's in hanley these days, maybe he could ask one of the lads to look it up for him

Message Joey and ask him, remember he m.o.t tests at Arnie Clarke's in hanley these days, maybe he could ask one of the lads to look it up for him

£25 from Arnold Shark. Says its a factory code only. So its going in the bin, and im borrowing his Nova tape deck. lol

On a more serious note, I bought said Poxhall with a diesel leak from injector 1 return pipe and blank plug. New pipes and plug supplied. Winnings. I fitted new return pipe from 1 to 2, and a new bung on the blank for number 1. Derv leak then moved to leak off pipe from 2 to 3..... ok.... no drama, replaced that pipe aswell. Now derv is leaking from pipe number 1 again. Think I may have a blockage, but as sods law aways works in my favour, its snowing outside and I cant be arsed to get mildly damp and replace all of the pipes. And its my first day off too. Typical.

So today I’ve been buggering around with the turd of doom. It’s a great car, honest. Apart from a few minor set backs. The mild fuel leak it came with has turned into a nightmare. It appears to blow off which ever return pipe is weakest. I’ve changed them all now, so those pipes aren’t blocked. Number one return was the main culprit, now it’s number 4. I took the pressure relief valve off the filter to see if it was non operational. It appears to work.... I can only assume one of two things. There’s a trapped/kinked return pipe somewhere causing back pressure in the return line....or.... the little 7mm fuel pipes aren’t strong enough to stay in place with small cable ties. I’ve ordered new jubilee clips but they are taking a while to arrive.

On another note, I wanted to diagnose why the horn doesn’t work. Removed the grill to access the horn and found this weird bagged item on the lower radiator crossmember. It had a wire running up to the alarm siren on the bulkhead. It’s now in the bin.

post-17429-0-41545300-1520531593_thumb.jpeg

post-17429-0-08790700-1520531766_thumb.jpeg

Guest Hooli

I've not seen a Carlton for years. My dad had a 2.0GLi for years that I eventually got, it was an excellent car that just needed more torque. I bet it's lovely with a truck engine like that in.

If there's pressure in the leak-off pipes, then there is pressure in the fuel return line. Disconnect it from the pump.. you should be able to blow down it and blow bubbles in the fuel tank. If you can't, there's your problem.

The pressure in those leak-offs should be so close to atmospheric that you can't even measure it.

Well another day and I’m no closer to my issue. The return lines to the tank are clear. I have dropped the pipe from the pump into a jerry can and ran the engine. Fuel returns but is slow, and the return line from the injector pressurises pretty quickly. There is a regulator valve on the filter housing, I’m wondering if the spring is weak causing pressure in the filter housing to return to the injectors. The quest continues. Any more suggestions welcomed as I’m beginning to loose the will to live.

You little bastard.

So the rain homed in and play has stopped today. I’ve had the hand primer/filter housing stripped down this afternoon to no avail. Once rain came I packed up and retreated indoors. Decided to trawl the Internet for pictures of the fuel system on these engines. Took a while to find but I think the mail has been thoroughly whacked on the head. Notice article A, a frontera engine with a return T piece, which locates the leak off pipes. Mine was plumbed directly to the PRV from number 4 injector. My main return pipe has this plastic pipe but looked more like a bodge to me. That will explain a lot. Now I need to find one or make a new one.

Article B, is my pipe. Which has been blocked up and was covered in silicone. Lovely

post-17429-0-57424100-1520695580_thumb.png

post-17429-0-53325300-1520695603_thumb.jpeg