320Touring's Citroen GSA. Boom, back in the room (unit) 11/07/2021

320touring

As far as I can see, the Toyo is not available in 145x15.

The van tyres for the CX have reinforced sidewalls and give a harsher ride. DS guys have the same issue with the 185x15's they use. I know someone who had Kumho van tyres in his D. Swapped over to 185x15 car spec tyres and could not believe the difference in ride/handling.

If they have C after the wheel size, they're a different construction to car tyres and they might well not do the CX's ride quality any favours.

I generally used Michelin Cs on the front of all my CXs, the cars are heavy enough on the front not to cause ride issues. Grip was within a knat's whisker of the car versions and better than anything from other makers. But rather than last 15,000 miles they'd go a good 35k.

I generally used Michelin Cs on the front of all my CXs, the cars are heavy enough on the front not to cause ride issues. Grip was within a knat's whisker of the car versions and better than anything from other makers. But rather than last 15,000 miles they'd go a good 35k.

I'll bear that in in mind, thanks.

Task now is to get the thing running again after engine just stopped and wouldn't restart.

I had the pleasure of ticking off a few firsts yesterday.

First left hand drive (I think), first aircooled and first green blooded machine.

It took very little time for it to become nearly normal, the 'issues' I had with it were mainly lack of rear view mirror (just a personal thing, I struggled with a panel van that I had for years) and the gearstick being a bit of a stretch to reach in comparison to everything else I have driven recently.

Overall review, Would!

Since the CX doesn't have any ride quality to write home about anyway, it doesn't matter.

Jeepers. Just because you almost got killed by a CX, you're now claiming there's no ride quality? I suggest you try a few thousand miles in a Honda S-MX, then see what you think about the ride quality of a CX.

It put in a sterling effort yesterday when transporting me 3hr round trip for a day of Oxford welding.

It's quite a happy wee thing at motorway speeds, and performs better than its stats would suggest

Amazing to think a cheapish 1200cc car existed back in the early seventies which would cruise at 90-100 all day no bother, let alone in comfort finer than any contemporary Rolls/Jag.

I had a car with an untouched 300k+ (traceable mileage) engine, it went like stink and used no oil (or water), it was the 1015cc version which was perhaps the definition of unburstable.

A good GS or GSA does buzz along vvvv nicely indeed. The engine note is very addictive and they just love to rev.

Mine with the 1220 engine will sit at above legal limit without too much fuss. I always feel it needs that 5th gear and it will be just perfect.

Definitely a car that needs to be tried.

Little wonder that the English never really appreciated, let alone understood this massive French company's cars (until the Peugeot parts bin BX) when their family saloon was even cleverer than the big Cits, cost less than half the price of a 3 series, had a tiny alloy boxer engine and most mechanics were scared shitless of their every aspect, unless they had a racing background or other skills well above and beyond Cortina-level.

Gs were very much a car for the home market and even if there'd been a big engined version for our short roads (sluggishness was a general criticism by most English motoring journos) I reckon they'd still have been unloved - at 80 they feel to be going slowly, unlike almost anything else from the time. Even so, they outsold even the BX's 10 year production - probably helped by the home market sensing the fall of a once-great manufacturer and the rise of venerable Peugeot with its brilliant 2 and 405.

Citroën in their final years (of being their own company, as it were) cocked up a bit with the GS - they were far too accomplished and complex for the market sector. It took BMW to the end of the 80s to introduce cars which realised the importance of aerodynamics (and aerostability), something which Citroën had studied and perfected down the decades prior to the 1970 GS, with its 0.30 Cd.

A great shame Honda couldn't buy the company, I can't help but feel something better could've come of it than the sorry tale which has ensued.

Having rattled this along to Scotoshite the night, I can confirm it's fucking brilliant at distance work.

Key,

Choke,

2-3 miles warming up

120kph all day long.

Also, super speedy defrosting as no troublesome coolant to heat..

post-17572-0-34860000-1522278882_thumb.jpg

Also, twas a time for firsts and lasts. I don't think Alf the Alfa will see another scotoshite..

post-17572-0-99451400-1522278919_thumb.jpg

What did we learn about the GSA today kids?

1. The approx range of this GSA is 501km if driven as autoroute rules allow.

2. When this GSA runs out of fuel, it does it suddenly.

3. The outside lane of the m9, at 120km/h is not the place to find out point 2.

4. The fuel light (if one was ever fitted) doesn't work.

5. Foreplanning and having a gallon can of petrol in the boot is sensible.

6. There appears to be no sediment issues with the tank.

7. The battery is plenty strong enough to draw fresh fuel through.

8. It is possible to turn right into a petrol station and end up in 1980s France..

post-17572-0-41088000-1522344784_thumb.jpg

I think it’s like the 2cv fuel sender, in that it always picks up from the bottom of the tank, so any sediment would be caught by a filter.

My dad’s GSA special was A521 SLG. As a twelve year old I loved the circuit board style dash and pull out handbrake. My dad picked it up new from the dealer just before our summer holiday. The first service was in a French dealers. A brilliant car. The only fault was a build up of rust on the rear discs causing a grating noise. I remember my dad taking the wheels off and filling the edges down a couple of times.