320Touring's Citroen GSA. Boom, back in the room (unit) 11/07/2021

320touring

That update would likely contain the word "oooze"

I feared it was an oooze too.

My GS is on Nankangs that I bought for it a couple of years ago. Seem fine but I do think the dry grip level is no better than the old mixture I had on it and squeal sets in earlier. I only do a handfull of miles a year so not that important to me as long as it is safe and usable.

I run all my decent cars on Uniroyal RainExperts and have done for many a year, no problems to report.

The Corsa got £120 Dunlops which caused it to do 180 degree spins in the wet and the Civic got whatever was cheapest which also caused 180 degree spins in the wet...

Do GSas tolerate 165s? (There's a set of barely used XZXs on ebay but not exactly close to Scotland). Michelins really aren't that bad, they're at their best when used hard in warm weather when they grip,, grip and grip some more.

I'd usually use 155s on the front and 145s on the back of a G, always Michelins but that was before prices went high.

So far, the tyre seller has:

A) told me they didn't have payment details, despite me entering them twice

B) applied to my CC company for the payment

C)sent me an invoice that I can pay via PayPal for a new order , at £30 more than the initial one.

Fucking bastards

• 2 weeks later...

Having calmed sufficiently, today was the day for tyre fitting..

Did it in two trips - rears first to free up the spare.

post-17572-0-96422200-1542473092_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-39622200-1542473112_thumb.jpg

Front brakes* look a bit concerning

post-17572-0-37571700-1542473157_thumb.jpg

With its new boots on

post-17572-0-37747300-1542473249_thumb.jpg

Initial test drive suggests grip is good, braking square and no wheel wobble.

Now to fix a droopy windae

I have been told "certain death" will occur from fitting 5 year old tyres designed in the 70s..

Edited for TROOF.

I hate rivet counters too. Fit up to date tyres to your car and enjoy it. The people who actually care about that aren't the sort of people you want to be mates with anyway! I mean that in general, not just targeted at 320t.

As expected, I have been told "certain death" will occur from not fitting 5 year old tyres designed in the 70s..

So many rivet counters when it comes to old cars;)

That’s why it’s over a year since I’ve been on the CCC website forum. So much abuse from those who will hear nothing against St Michelin. Despite their cost, and poor longevity these days. Longstone had good deals recently though on the correct 125s, but still double the cost of Tokyo’s.

....which sees much tumbleweed blowing through most of the time anyway.

No different to most clubs though - I’m a member of a few and visit most monthly ish. Mercedes, x1/9, fiatforum, 2cvgb, i2CVF, ccc, TOC. Often I find that I’m still the last commented. This place is the exception.

Just got the GSA back off my brother- he has sorted an exhaust blow.

Consequently, the car is smoother and quieter, but considerably less trippy to drive due to the absence of carbon monoxide in the cabin..

post-17572-0-88250400-1542922386_thumb.jpg

In other news, I've had my first proper drive with the new tyres in the wet.

Fuck me it grips well. No comedy squealing, able to get the power down cleanly and the brakes work really well - a bit more controllable in the wet:)

Major Success!

This car has pitiful parts support ( at least in comparison to the German and British cars I own)

Ergo, I try to scoop up parts as they become available.

Just bought Gearbox/calipers/discs/driveshafts and hubs for £20. In Bolton.

post-17572-0-92445100-1543247242_thumb.png

Need to get them collected and squirrelled away until someone needs them..

Major Success!

This car has pitiful parts support ( at least in comparison to the German and British cars I own)

Ergo, I try to scoop up parts as they become available.

Just bought Gearbox/calipers/discs/driveshafts and hubs for £20. In Bolton.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20181126-154231.png

Need to get them collected and squirrelled away until someone needs them..

There is Chevronics, but you need money for the parts they've got....

Most old Citroens aren't well supported in the parts department, except for maybe the DS and 2CV

Success! That's the established approach to ownership.

There is Chevronics, but you need money for the parts they've got....

Most old Citroens aren't well supported in the parts department, except for maybe the DS and 2CV

A huge problem for the DS and (even more so given its minimalism) the 2cv is the poorer quality of parts available. Original Citroën quality was exceedingly high, from the bolts upwards. Sourcing spares from old cars is by far the best approach, where possible.