SAAB 9-3 5dr 2.0 non-turbo giffermatic with no MoT - £offers?

RichardK

Gone to the rainbow bridge... had trouble uploading pictures so tried the Shite Cars for Sale FB group; that got a barrage of enquiries, made me regret risking interacting with FB's gang of wannabe dealers, and then saw it disappear for the £100 asking price with a chap who will frag it for £160 for the hassle and £20's worth of fuel.

Jen's old car - she has a sexy Volvo C70 Cabriolet now.

This fine SAAB 9-3 has been astoundingly reliable, but smells of petrol, has had the dashboard mildly hacked about to fit a double-DIN radio (that Jen wanted to keep), and the MoT ran out.

Nearside rear passenger window doesn't work, and hasn't for a couple of years.

The paint is manky, but it had new front coils, new tyres (pair) and new exhaust for the last MoT.

Cannot be arsed taking it for one, as my entire day from 7-7 is taken up by work one way or another.

Here are some pictures. It starts and stuff. Hell, it might pass another MoT.

It's near J20 M1/Lutterworth, and is offered pretty much "until I pay attention to it again and decide to just scrap it", in case anyone wants it; Jen would like some sort of money for it it but that's mostly about persuading herself to part with it at all. Despite the new car.

post-19568-0-56886300-1519665149_thumb.jpg

post-19568-0-17105300-1519665246_thumb.jpg

And just for narrative, here's Jen's C70 sitting alongside the approved-used Volvo V40 D4 R-Design* that is my Parkers long-termer (except when it isn't and everyone else has pinched it).

post-19568-0-64017900-1519665663_thumb.jpg

* they're better value new on broker deals. And yes, it's a Focus in a sharper suit. And it doesn't look anything like as fast as it is, and seems damn well screwed together.

The old 9-3 is the one I prefer, although that is not an ideal engine/transmission combo. Turbos are thirsty enough as they are. We had a NG900 2.0 manual (much the same car as that) and the fuel consumption was borderline catastrophic. Yours being an auto and smelling of petrol, the question as to be asked, which burned more hydrocarbons the 9-3 or the Deepwater Horizon?

Sorry for the joking, couldn't help myself. They are drive nice, super comfy, have one of the best ever car cabins in my opinion and that enormous boot. GLWS

I just want to say that the C70 is a fabulous buy. I had a remarkably similar-looking one which was my only car for five years and was practically perfect in every way. Traded it in for unfortunate life-related reasons but if anyone ever sees EY52VTC around I would gladly buy it back.

Anyway, GLWTS, etc...

I was gonna say - this has to be worth £140 on the scales.  Don't sell yourself short dude - £2.50 a ticket raffle would sell out today, plenty of people would take 4 for a tenner I'm sure.

£150 in  your back pocket would give y'all a nice day out or something.

Good luck whatever.

Petrol Saab? The coilpack is going to be worth 80 to 100quid alone on eBay tbh. Then the rest of car scrap for £100.

So basically at £150 its a free car or looking at another way you're giving people 50quid. :)

Dash can be replaced easily enough if people are worried about the damage. Plenty of spares still around for these too. Usually these have double DIN stereos standard though, so not sure why it had to be cut bigger.

Could offer £80 collected... And it would live again.

Desperate Saab reviver etc.

No.... Sorry, cancel that.

I have too many cars, I have too many cars......

Work and snow have dropped 9-3 priority, but this would have been close to acceptable... very close :)

Petrol Saab? The coilpack is going to be worth 80 to 100quid alone on eBay tbh. Then the rest of car scrap for £100.

So basically at £150 its a free car or looking at another way you're giving people 50quid. :)

Dash can be replaced easily enough if people are worried about the damage. Plenty of spares still around for these too. Usually these have double DIN stereos standard though, so not sure why it had to be cut bigger.

Actually, they are more like 1.9 DIN! They need a bit of tickling with a dremel to get the space for a double DIN to actually fit in. Including getting rid of the metal shelf that runs across the middle. It's a bit of a faff, but you can get it in and looking pretty good...

Actually, they are more like 1.9 DIN! They need a bit of tickling with a dremel to get the space for a double DIN to actually fit in. Including getting rid of the metal shelf that runs across the middle. It's a bit of a faff, but you can get it in and looking pretty good...

And I did, but Jen wants to keep the radio I fitted, so now it has a 2DIN hole and a 1.9 DIN SAAB original radio...

• 3 weeks later...

Extracted from the field! It had dug itself two lovely wheel traps when I tried moving it, so pulled it out with the Fiat until it was on solid ground again.

Still starts first time etc.

I really don't care what I get for it. £100 seems about right for it to be worth someone coming and fetching it, but I do want it to disappear.

Radio swapped back - aside from the plastic filler bit not being in straight, it looks alright. SID has lost a couple of lines over winter, but I packed the connector before so it needs a proper repair ideally or will come back with a repack.

Interior is cloth.

Engine isn't coilpack, it's distributor, which may change the values of people wanting to break it.