1993 Rover 216 GSI crusty but nice, MOT'd, £5 a pop or £225

bramz7

Hello,

I had intended to keep this one going, but sensibly, I can't do 4 cars at the moment, and shouldn't have attempted to.

This has been my daily for a month and despite not using it for any commuting, I have done nigh on 1300 miles in it. Probably because all my nearest and dearest have wanted me to drive places far away in it during the weekend.

It's an ex Rover UK car, and belonged to an old chap for a decent wedge of its life. I have tons of paperwork for it from that part of its life, he spent a bloody fortune on it. 

It got bumped in to during his ownership, passed a VIC check and the only signs it had an accident is the slight rattle from the boot. 

It does have some good bits:

-Engine is peppy and quick, sits at 70 all day and loves it. The temperature never strays above midway, ever, even in traffic. 

-Everything works. Literally everything. All four windows, sunroof, switch gear, original stereo, speakers sound oddly amazing for an older car.

-Original everything too.

-Blue leather is a rare option and the seats are pristine. Most of the interior is spotless, and the headlining is not sagging either.

-Decent ish, if slightly old looking tyres.

-Starts first time

-Never FTP'd or even wanted to on me.

- Really comfortable to sit in for extended periods.

Bad bits

-Very rusty in parts. I don't know when it was done but someone stuffed the nearside rear arch with filler. Said filler has now gone AWOL and there is some tape hiding the utter misery behind. Door bottoms are going the same way, as are all the arches, in varying degrees. Not beyond hope by any means though, just prepare yourself.

-Hot starting is not the engines forte.

-Paint is generally good but noticed some lacquer flaking off a rear door the other day

-Cambelt due in about 5k.

- Needs a service

-Small leak into boot, but I have not found a puddle.

-Wiper blades smearing a touch.

-PAS pump ever so slightly whiney...

Anyway, it is a good car, and will drive literally anywhere. I kind of don't want to sell it, but know it's presence will eventually hinder me and I will end up growing to resent it.

£275. Located in Reading, Berks.

Some basic photos for now but I shall add more when I can.

I know there is millions of for sale adverts on here at the moment so don't expect this to sell too quickly. 

Will be entering short term storage this coming weekend.

post-20043-0-62645500-1519597447_thumb.jpeg

39332939444_dea453a7d2_b.jpg1993 Rover 216 GSI Blue Leather Interior. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

39297899564_19fcb1acb4_b.jpgMy 1993 Rover 216 GSI. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

25136608497_12a4aa3277_b.jpgMy 1993 Rover 216 GSI. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

...and that dash though!

I don't think I've ever seen a blue one in an R8 before.

Boot dampness - TADTS

I fixed mine by replacing the tail-light seals with ones cut from an old Karrimat smeared in Vaseline. The original foam-rubber seals are very porous, and the channels pour rain water straight onto them.

Hot-start issue - TADTS

Because Ronda, I'm 99% sure it'll be a failing soldered connection inside the fuel pump relay, which lives inside the centre console, best accessed by lying on your back in the passenger footwell.

I think I might have a PAS pump for this, was good, but not used for several years, FREE to the winning bidder, just pay postage. 

As Joe said, the hot start could be the fuel relay, or as I found on mine it was the ignition module. 20 quid or so and fairly easy to fit, so it'll give the new owner something to do!

I'll have a bunch of tickets if it goes to roffle bramz.

Potentially have an interested party in this at the moment. Will update accordingly.

I'm so 50/50 about selling it but these things happen. Can't keep them all.

Good news, although I'm currently feeling the same about the Mazda which probably means I should keep it.

This now available again due to unforseen circumstances.

£275 as it stands. A decent car in the snow as it turns out!

Can deliver when weather is better.

Someone broke the passenger side mirror but will supply new mirror with car for buyer.

Okay, roffle is go. It's advertised elsewhere to this could get pulled at any time. For some reason it's been quite popular on FB (ugh) but I've had loads of 'whats your best price' shit already.

£5 a go. Let me know if you want any. 

1 Pandamonium

2 magpie215

7 RobT

18 83C

26 magpie215

41 83C

52 Brodders