Audi TT MK1s

Split_Pin

I saw a very early straight unmolested example on a R plate (must of been private) that came up for £1100 with lowish miles in the obligatory Silver with black leather and it had the twin exhaust so I’m guessing it was a 225, if I had the money etc.

I just wondered did any of the early cars escape the rear spoiler retrofit.

@dirk diggler - I don't think time will be kind to the mk4 variants of the golf, or other forms/incarinations of its platform - the mk4 era was a transitionary  phase for VW; it attempted to abandon its 'universal subframe' of the mk3- incorporating mounts for engine, wishbones etc to mounting the engine on chassis rails and incorporating an inadequate  engine steady affair to the subframe which mounted / tied in the suspension bits to the body; the front strut deisgn took a step backwards with just a collar attachement to the srut from the front upright/stub axle - in a small collision the hub slipped up the strut body n caused inner wing damage (the mk2/3 struts had two fixing bolts to upright/hub carrier); plastics were brittle; hose/front rad attchments were brittle clip in affairs; rather than srung bound attachment/hose clip style attachements of the mk3, .....window reg's and door handles were of an even poor erdesign n failed regularly - very brittle n hard to replace easily - the list goes on - the mk3 was made of poor metal, but a heavily used n abused one would soldier on, if otherwise solid; mk4's became very loose with lots of miles - arb links n rubbers needed service interval replacement.... electrics were overcomplicated n interior plastics were terrible - not very robust, bland n absorbing every occupants body excretions or sweating by themselves in a gummy mess when parked up...

...I don't think history, in 10 years time will be kind to the mk4 era of vw; the mechanicals were okay tho; the 1.9TDi (non PDI) are great engines, n some of the early gearboxes were great units,  the 1.8T is a great engine also; its what they were 'wrapped in' that wasn't brilliant... mk1 skodas are the best of the breed IMO; skoda had all the hand me down tech, n seemed to work out a lotta the foibles  n most of the issues weren't as prevalent in mid 2000 mk1 skoda's... 

So, as is usual on here, it is 'fashionable' to slate certain cars but also in amongst that some very useful info from folks who have actually owned one for a time.

So it looks as if you buy a cheap shit one you get what you pay for (deserve) but if you get a well looked after example you should have less trouble with expensive niggles. They dont seem to take neglect well!

The issue for me now is not the car itself, but the fact that a good example is out of my budget. Appreciate all the useful responses :)

This is why I like this place. Yet more motoring headaches that I do not need, avoided.

PBK is right though they do look ace. I had a 1/18 diecast one when the TT first came out but I sold it. I think I shall have another so I can enjoy the aesthetics without the liability!

There was a thread, some time ago, about 'part work models' in poondland.

I scored for a GT40 & Aston (007 type) for a quid each at The Works..

I love them = wouldn't want to buy tyres for either one ;)

TS

Ignoring all the VAG bashing for a sec, 1500 quid is the bottom of the food chain for TT's and therefore most of them will be crap. You will have the standard Mark 4 Golf fayre of rusted solid bolts that snap off, rust, leaks and everything else.

Sift through the shit owned by idiots and you might find a tidy one in an unfashionable colour. A green 180 2wd in decent nick is better than a shagged silver 225 Quattttro owned by a 37 year old Bez lookalike from Mansfield, maaaaate.

The wife has had two Audis. Can't say I'm a convert as I think they are expensive and over priced when new. Depreciate like a bucket of ice cream in the Minnesota winter.

I've always had a hankering for a mk1 TT. Still do but I'm sorry to say I won't realize it.

I've had the 'fun' of chasing electrical issues in at least two. One was a cabriolet that was plagued with electrical issues of windows and dash. I managed to band-aid a couple, but it was enough to put me off.

I'm sure if you can find a good one, you would be happy, bit a cheap one with issues is a miserable thing to fight.

A mate has lavished a fortune on his....... Mk1 and still looking top notch, but it's cost him a fair packet over the time. He's had it since it was 3yrs old and it's had replacement everything along the way. Averaging out it doesn't seem too bad, but he's not had any electrical problems at all (yet) and admits he's been lucky. He regularly scares himself on the forum with some others horror stories.

He won't be parted though........ loves it.

I think the TT definitely qualifies as a 'marmite' car. no fence sitting allowed.

I had one from 12 months old back in 2002, kept it seven years. Didn't do many miles, probably 30k but it was faultless.

It was a 225 quattro and was a bit crap at speed on b roads, they aren't a sports car, but they are quite good cruising around everyday. Not bad mpg, not bone crushing suspension, and cruise well on the motorway.

The wind does buffet about and make some funny noises with the window down a bit for a fag.

A friend's brother got one (225, silver) off e bay last month for 700. It was mot'd but was looking rusty in places, had worn front suspension bushes and 2x knackered window regulators. It also had a set of the cheapest tyres on it and whilst looking ok reeked of having been run on a shoestring for a good few years.

Unusually for me it was enough to put me off when he sold it on after a short while. I get the feeling it's one of those cars worth buying in loved and sorted condition at 1500-2000 rather than buy a dog on the cheap, spend out getting on for that all in and still have a bit of a dog with no service history that will never be worth the decent money you've put into it.

I reckon you can buy and run one of those on an Autoshite budget if you buy wisely and are handy with the spanners.

I'd go for pre-2001 to avoid £obscene road tax. I'd also pick the poverty FWD/180HP model, which is fast enough for road use but easier and cheaper to fix than the Haldex/225HP when VAG built-in-obsolescence inevitably kicks in.

I don't know about this MkIV Golf 'thing'.  I know they're not particularly liked by some around here (and I do have a horse in this race) but given that the garage I use said that mine was very clean and went a lot better than an identical one they'd had in a month or two before, I'm not going to complain.  I do wish that it had stiffer suspension and more comfortable seats.  It's 'ok' on the back roads but a bit short of my old Fiesta (smashes the Fiesta on the motorway though) and I'm sure there are a lot of subtle engineering reasons why they're not as good as other cars around.

On the other hand, of all the ten-years-and-older cars I see around, I see a lot of MKIV Golfs.  Mine is 13 this year (late estate variant) and it's not given me any bother whatsoever in the nearly two years (and 40K+) I've put into it.  It was comprehensively serviced by the previous owners (my Grandparents).  Sure, I look like a Geography teacher driving around in it but it does me well...

That said, I'm sure there are some utter crocks out there.

They're defo getting very tempting now the prices are dropping. I expect it's a case of biting the bullet and hoping you don't get a lemon if buying a cheap one, but they have to be worth a try I think.

On the other hand, of all the ten-years-and-older cars I see around, I see a lot of MKIV Golfs.

I see a lot of Laguna II ph1 still buzzing around too...

On the Golf MK4, I like them. There I said it.

Comical body roll and crap 0-60 times. However as a car they are comfortable, actual suspension, (most of them) torquey engines and well appointed. The opposite to what most modern German cars are now and the last of something that is nice to use on British roads if you don't want speed and handling but cruising and comfort.