Stolen 2cv

richardmorris

Fair enough, it had just struck me as a way to swap a parts car for a whole car quickly and easily, lobbing said numberplate in the 'found' car as part of the procedure... then while everyone is chasing after dodgy parts being sold, the stolen whole car quietly assumes a new identify while no-one is looking.

Has the SOCO gone over the car with their box of tricks to find fingerprints etc.?

Ha!

No, didn’t send anyone out for fingerprints and have closed the case report.

Bro in law and Sis are SOCO's (scenes of crimes officers).

Resources are, as rightly stated, stretched to ridiculous levels. I have often thought that retired officers could probably make a decent living doing freelance work, gathering material and collecting prints, etc to be handed over to the force. Not exactly a "private police service" but I reckon some folk would be willing to pay for the extra assistance.

However thinking about it if it turned out to be successful, the Police themselves would probably privatise the SOCO service and we all know how well that will turn out don't we?

Somebody in 2cv circles will know something.

Bro in law and Sis are SOCO's (scenes of crimes officers).

Resources are, as rightly stated, stretched to ridiculous levels. I have often thought that retired officers could probably make a decent living doing freelance work, gathering material and collecting prints, etc to be handed over to the force. Not exactly a "private police service" but I reckon some folk would be willing to pay for the extra assistance.

However thinking about it if it turned out to be successful, the Police themselves would probably privatise the SOCO service and we all know how well that will turn out don't we?

Somebody in 2cv circles will know something.

Give it time, and I think 2cvers will find out who it was.

Clare is quite active in the local community and quite capable of drumming up press interest. She got the story in the MEN the day after and is hoping the nationals will print the follow up this week. That’s the reason I can’t show you the pics. For now.

I couldn’t believe a 2cv person was responsible, but the more information and pics that come out sadly makes it possible, if not likely.

Sadly, unless there is enough evidence to prove conclusively that a particular someone committed the crime AND it is considered to be sufficiently in the public interest to prosecute, the CPS won't take it any further even if the SOCO found fingerprints and the police investigated and arrested someone. On a scale of 1 to 10, a stolen car rates at about -3.

I'm a bit unclear as to why there's an embargo on the photographs.  Unless the publications have paid for exclusivity, it's in her interest to get the story moving now - at her timescale - and not theirs.  

I have personal experience of selling stories to national papers/magazines and they will often ask.  But unless monies have exchanged hands, I'd urge anyone to just get the images out there.  If nothing else, it might stop someone else parking a practically unsecured car at the side of the road and might prevent just one more car being stolen.

Sorry if this sounds a bit grumpy.  I know it's not your rodeo, and I'm in awe of your support for a stranger and the other offers on here.  But I'd urge anyone in this situation to just move - and not be dictated to by others.

Good luck everyone.

I couldn’t believe a 2cv person was responsible, but the more information and pics that come out sadly makes it possible, if not likely.

I'd be inclined to think it's either a restorer doing a car for a customer or an individual doing a resto to flip. Not having to buy parts,increasing profit

Maybe a few emails to suppliers of the "new" bodyshells to see if anything has been sold to someone in the area local to the theft.

I'd be inclined to think it's either a restorer doing a car for a customer or an individual doing a resto to flip. Not having to buy parts,increasing profit

Maybe a few emails to suppliers of the "new" bodyshells to see if anything has been sold to someone in the area local to the theft.

Both* suppliers know.

Well I say both, but perhaps there are three.

As to the embargo on photos. It’s clare’s instruction. She has not been paid, but would rather no one see them yet. I am not getting on the bad side of her- she’s bigger than me and I like her espresso mugs.

The van is the key in this, it's not been taxed or MOT'd since Oct/Nov last year, trace the van, you have the culprits, and it would be a terrible shame if something happened to them. It does seem like a 'stolen to order' job, someone in the locality is having a 2CV done up, that has to be the case, shame we don't have someone in the know who could do a PNC check on that van to find last registered keeper etc, sodding DVLA scrapping the V888 service. Gah!

The van is the key in this, it's not been taxed or MOT'd since Oct/Nov last year, trace the van, you have the culprits

If the van seen outside the address is the same one that was seen towing the 2CV that is

sodding DVLA scrapping the V888 service. Gah!

Looks very much still in service to me?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/v888-request-by-an-individual-for-information-about-a-vehicle

Euphemism?

Dammit! Still not taking this seriously!

(Sorry, I do sympathise with the owner)

I knew, as soon as I typed that, that someone would see the innuendo in a perfectly innocent sentence :-)

Clare does a very nice line in bespoke 2cv gifts. See www.citroengifts.co.uk.

I’ve a pair of her espresso cups I use daily.

Sadly, unless there is enough evidence to prove conclusively that a particular someone committed the crime AND it is considered to be sufficiently in the public interest to prosecute, the CPS won't take it any further even if the SOCO found fingerprints and the police investigated and arrested someone. On a scale of 1 to 10, a stolen car rates at about -3.

The perception unfortunately seems to be that unless it's murder, terrorism or a Farcebook/Tw*tter post, it'll be difficult to attract police interest these days. Budget cuts don't help much either.

Um not getting too far into politics but you have to remember the government is a business. The police are the henchmen,tax collectors, enforcers and information gathers.

Workers pinching stuff off other workers is neither here nor there. Its not like they are being stabbed or something like that where they would have to take lots of time off work, costing the NHS money, getting sick pay and not paying tax while they are off.

Car theft can be simply dealt with by another business. The insurance companies. Its just not financially viable for the police to get too involved.

Um not getting too far into politics but you have to remember the government is a business. The police are the henchmen,tax collectors, enforcers and information gathers.

Workers pinching stuff off other workers is neither here nor there. Its not like they are being stabbed or something like that where they would have to take lots of time off work, costing the NHS money, getting sick pay and not paying tax while they are off.

Car theft can be simply dealt with by another business. The insurance companies. Its just not financially viable for the police to get too involved.

plus it is easier to subcontract to little hitlers in vans to report folk for doing 45 in a 40 on a clear dry empty road

I have a polise friend, not a job I would do

penshun is good though

Which is why things are going so wrong. You can't run a government like a business. You can't just keep cutting back on stuff that isn't financially viable. Housing old people isn't financially viable. The NHS doesn't seem very financially viable. Government needs to do things, because they need to be done. That's rather the point. By ignoring low-level crime, you're effectively encouraging it. If there's no deterrent or justice, then what really is the point?

I should think that van is wearing a new plate by now.

If it was stolen in a certain area, and the shell found nearby, how many garages or workshops can there possibly be in that postcode / area? I think it would be unlikely the car would be dragged out of the area for stripping and then redeposited back where it was found, that would be too risky for the thieves

I've not commented on this post yet, as there is 2/10ths of bugger all help I can offer. Clearly the thieves knew what they were doing, and the parts are now probably either resprayed and in use, or exported out of the country for a 2CV resto somewhere else in the world.

Fingers of blame for the lacklustre response from Teh Law should very much be pointed at the Government. Police officers the country over really do want to stamp crime like this out, but there are far too few of them, they are massively under-resourced, and even if they managed to get the evidence needed, the CPS would then make a complete fuck-up of any attempt at prosecution.

I dream of a return to a time when Police officers were plentiful and well-resourced, they knew everything that was going on in their local area, and if something occured, they knew exactly where to find the culprets. A bit of fear in the minds of the criminal goes a long way. As things are these days, criminals are well aware that the risk factor is a lot less than it used to be.

Again, the police won't give a fuck about investigating stuff like this. They'll happen have a suspicion who has done it.

My old man's car got nicked a few years ago, the police had proof in terms of my dads belongings found at the chop shop where the car was cut up. The police wouldn't do anything as it was circumstantial, I don't buy this as if your found in possession of a stolen car that's an offence in itself.

To balance the above views, when the starlet got nicked had SCO out within 2 hours, saw a police officer a few times, guy was caught and prosecuted (based partially on fingerprint evidence collected by SCO) and sent down for 10 months. 

So to say police aren't interested, is at the very least, a broad generalisation.