Stolen 2cv

richardmorris

Absolute bastards that do this sort of thing, I really hope that they get what is coming to them, but sadly doubt it. Many people seem to think that 2cvs are still the £50 bangers of 20 years ago, but prices have been increasing steadily. While I will never get rich from mine (or even break even!) it is worth far more than it was when I got it. 

Having owned mine for 23 years, I can certainly imagine the upset that has been caused, but it has been heart warming to see the support on facebook and from people on here.

My brother's motorbike was stolen last year. The theft was seen by many people, none of whom thought to do anything (!) and left him and his family very upset, as their address was in paperwork on the bike and he had to pay a large excess on his insurance. The police did eventually catch the 16 year old thief, but nothing is likely to happen as he is 16. Several bikes have been stolen since in the same area, one right outside the police station - but police would not come outside despite being called. 

On a lighter note, would anyone actually pay for a 2cv wiring loom? There must be virtually nothing original left of mine it has been repaired so many times!

Clare has just called me. She is still very upset. She has sent me some photos which I can’t publish yet as they’re hopefully going in the MEN and national press this week.

Everything was very carefully stripped to the extent that it seems likely to be someone who knows their way round a 2cv. She is in two minds about what to do, but needs to hear back from the insurers first of all.

We had a very long chat about cars and life and it turns out her Dad is Tony Howarth Mr Africar.

If eventually you can prove who did it - if your insurer does not pay out you can take a private prosecution to get financial compensation. Painful way to go though.

The dichotomy ( now that’s a good word for this amount of wine) is that she’s had the car from almost new ( was garaged in storage for it’s early life) and since then looked after by THE correct person. The very expensive bits are still there- engine, gearbox, body and chassis, but nothing else. So it’s a good start. BUT it’s been one of the family for over twenty years and it feels like it’s been violated and perhaps should be dropped and moved on. ( paraphrasing).

The next step is waiting to hear from the insurers. It’s safe at a friendly garage at the moment.

Maybe the analogy is an old Victorian house with a bit of a grim history. You would not want to live there yourself - but would be happy to pass it to someone else to live in- and they would not mind. One of my Citroens is definitely stolen recovered as it has a new ignition and key and you can see where the door top was bent out to get in. The owner was probably most dischuffed but to me its one of its quirks.

If it was 'one of the family' would you disown it through no fault of its own? Or even, if it was valued so much, leave it vulnerable? We still don't know if there were any anti-theft measures in place. Disklok, wheel clamp, anything. Even a secret switch. I hear about old car thefts time and again and mostly there was no security fitted. Just because you are trusting and would never dream of nicking something doesn't mean nobody else would.

Tricky bit is ensuring a good 12v feed that won't get interrupted. Not many hiding places in a 2CV (well, I can think of a couple, but I'm clearly not going to hurl suggestions around!).

As for not feeling the same, well, I can see that. But, Elly has been substantially rebuilt twice and there's barely anything left of the original car. She's still the same 2CV to me.

I can see the owners point of view on the car but I'm a stubborn sod and wouldn't let some scumbag taking a few bits from it stop me getting it working again.

That said if she is determined to get rid of it what abut some kind of AS group buy restoration thing?

I k own it wouldn't be easy with all the wiring missing but all the bits are available (which is why I don't get why they were stolen other than cost) so it's not impossible to fix.

Could be a most excellent series from Mr Wobbler.

She was erring on the side of restoration tonight. But it really depends on the insurance. The photos are horrible but all the parts are available- at a cost. Honestly I really don’t know what to do when someone I only know to say “ hello again” to and is 200miles away starts crying on the phone.

Before me she’d called Roy at ecas 2cvparts whom she’s known since the early 1980s. What she needs is a cheap ( as in non viable runner, not a nice car as she couldn’t bare taking someone else’s loved car apart) car. Ie something with a dead engine, rusty chassis or body but all the panels and interior present. They took the seat runners, never mind the seats. And dashboard indicators and light switch, dash shelf covering etc. Oddly the only thing hacked or broken was the steering lock ( to move) and the wiring loom ( cut either side of the bulkhead).

This stuff is not saleable. It’s making me increasingly annoyed that some 2cv owner has likely done this for their own car.

She was erring on the side of restoration tonight. But it really depends on the insurance. The photos are horrible but all the parts are available- at a cost. Honestly I really don’t know what to do when someone I only know to say “ hello again” to and is 200miles away starts crying on the phone.

Before me she’d called Roy at ecas 2cvparts whom she’s known since the early 1980s. What she needs is a cheap ( as in non viable runner, not a nice car as she couldn’t bare taking someone else’s loved car apart) car. Ie something with a dead engine, rusty chassis or body but all the panels and interior present. They took the seat runners, never mind the seats. And dashboard indicators and light switch, dash shelf covering etc. Oddly the only thing hacked or broken was the steering lock ( to move) and the wiring loom ( cut either side of the bulkhead).

This stuff is not saleable. It’s making me increasingly annoyed that some 2cv owner has likely done this for their own car.

Yes, a donor car would make sense, I must admit. I would have thought someone must have something beyond hope on their driveway. I guess the problem is, with 2CVs, there's really no such thing as 'beyond hope.' 

Let's all keep our eyes peeled for potential donors for the cause, this 2CV deserves to live again, my train of thought currently is, if she lets the old beast go, the thieves have won, seeing the car trundling along again with her at the helm is a big 2 fingered salute to the scum

Yes, a donor car would make sense, I must admit. I would have thought someone must have something beyond hope on their driveway. I guess the problem is, with 2CVs, there's really no such thing as 'beyond hope.'

I’ve been speaking to my Citroen garage friend, he has three dead cars but they’re all good galvanised chassis bad body dead, not the other way.

I have seat runners (somewhere...) for which I have no need and would be pleased to donate.

The one thing she is grateful for is the overwhelming support of other owners. She had forty Messages about a g reg dolly for sale within an hour of her first post about Georgie being stolen. At the moment she isn’t accepting parts or money as she doesn’t know what the insurance is going to say.

Spotted a currently cheap left hand drive car allegedly from Ghana that is currently just over £500, looks fairly complete but has no starter motor

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-2CV/122990166660?hash=item1ca2c90284:g:20UAAOSwVNNalHkY

s-l1600.jpg

She told me about that one!

One issue is she needs a nice 2cv friendly garage to sort it. She doesn’t have the capability she says.

Hell, it’s up the road. I’ll investigate.

We have plenty of shiters who could help I bet, just need a good autosparky with the loom. If that Ghana one is mechanically kippered, but has some good body bits like doors, and could be procured for sensible money, well it could be game on

I herewith donate space in my back garden for reassembly. It's not even five miles away. There is space for the car plus a donor car.

It is secure and I bet the right number of shiters could put it back together there within a couple of days.

She should start getting that shit together irrespectively of what the arsefucked insurance says or does.

We have plenty of shiters who could help I bet, just need a good autosparky with the loom. If that Ghana one is mechanically kippered, but has some good body bits like doors, and could be procured for sensible money, well it could be game on

That Ghana one has been checked by Roy she says-the needed panels are too far gone. I’d have collected it on a tow rope it’s so close.

I herewith donate space in my back garden for reassembly. It's not even five miles away. There is space for the car plus a donor car.

It is secure and I bet the right number of shiters could put it back together there within a couple of days.

She should start getting that shit together irrespectively of what the arsefucked insurance says or does.

Thanks, and she’d say the same. It’s not beyond saving by any means, but i know she’s thinking that it won’t be the same car any more.

Pm me with your address and email and I’ll put you in touch if that’s ok? The car ( she calls it Georgie but I’ve never got on with naming cars) is safe at the moment, but the garage isn’t happy restoring it.

I can see the owners point of view on the car but I'm a stubborn sod and wouldn't let some scumbag taking a few bits from it stop me getting it working again.

That said if she is determined to get rid of it what abut some kind of AS group buy restoration thing?

I k own it wouldn't be easy with all the wiring missing but all the bits are available (which is why I don't get why they were stolen other than cost) so it's not impossible to fix.

Could be a most excellent series from Mr Wobbler.

I would probably be able to give it a home, and have access to quite a few new and used parts...