Stolen 2cv

richardmorris

What a shitty thing to happen.

Thank God ringing, theft for profit and all this kind of crap dosen't happen here in Oz.

It isn’t as common as it used to be here thankfully. Increased security on cars has cut out most of the ‘joyriding’ (bloody stupid name) but it does mean people now tend to get burgled if they have a nice car so the thieves can get the keys. But that tends to be high end motors. There has been a spate of mini thefts in the midlands though, over 40 in the past 4 years that I know of. How that many loved cars can just disappear is beyond me, most owners could recognise the engine out of the car but never heard of any spares from them turning up.

After twenty years I know every panel and part of my car, and would definitely be able to spot a bit for sale. All engines and gearboxes look the same though. I do hope Clare gets it back- I’ve bought her Printed stuff at meetings. The espresso cups are very smart.

It does mean people now tend to get burgled if they have a nice car so the thieves can get the keys. But that tends to be high end motors.

I thought this and I think it's still mostly true, but a colleague had his almost-new BMW X5 nicked off the driveway a few weeks ago without the keys. Seen by a neighbour, they smashed the driver's window, had it running inside 30 seconds and off they went. I believe the police found parts for sale and have made some progress but the car itself was already broken up.

I thought this and I think it's still mostly true, but a colleague had his almost-new BMW X5 nicked off the driveway a few weeks ago without the keys. Seen by a neighbour, they smashed the driver's window, had it running inside 30 seconds and off they went. I believe the police found parts for sale and have made some progress but the car itself was already broken up.

There's been a huge spate of modern BMW's getting stolen - from what I recall, you can program a key through the OBD port in a few seconds, start the engine and drive off.  The area around the OBD port wasn't covered by the interior alarm sensors either, so most owners never heard a thing and just found their car missing when they woke up in the morning.

Edit: It has been found a mile and half away, stripped.

Do not like.  Backs up what was suggested earlier about it getting stolen for spares.  The long-time owner must be gutted, as presumably it's been stripped to the point it's not viable to put right?

Given it was found so close to her house, it would certainly be worth keeping an eye out for any previously unseen local 2CV's that appear.

Must be stolen for someone who wants those specific parts, though it has to be worth watching ebay for them.  What kind of a society are we?

I remember many years ago seeing that a PA Cresta had been stolen and was found with the front wings cut off.  So someone just wanted the very valuable front wings.

Apparently doors and wheels,so hopefully not too bad?

I think it's only the chassis, body and engine left. It was found dumped very close to heir home, I reckon that it has been stripped not far from where it was dumped.

I think it's only the chassis, body and engine left. It was found dumped very close to heir home, I reckon that it has been stripped not far from where it was dumped.

It's a 2cv. What else is there? If the engine is still in the gearbox is. 3 seat and a dashboard is all there is inside, so while the seat are easily removed I be surprised if the dash is gone. So boot lid and bonnet?

Hopefully it's just the panels, pain in the arse and unfair, but better than burned out or disappeared I suppose.

Glad that it's been found and hopefully a new chapter can begin with the car, even if it's a step in the wrong direction at first.

Unfortunately this kind of thing can only increase with classic cars being looked at more as investments rather than pleasure.

Unfortunately money and value brings out the worst in a lot of people.

I would almost go as far as say get it back and put it somewhere for the minute to come to terms with whats happening or rather what has happened. I would be quick to say I don’t want it back because it would feel as if it had been violate much the same as someone breaking into your house its the fact someone has been in there.

But if you stick it in a friends garage or whatever it allows you time to come to terms with whats happened and then you view of what to do with the car may change in time.

Dont go and sap it off then to only regret it at a later date

I had a mint XR2 nicked years ago. Got it back but stored it for a year as I didn't want to look at it. After a year I sold it, the magic was gone, my baby had been violated.

On another note, I do have some 2CV stuff left although not much. I would be happy to donate anything needed to her. I sold all my panels but I have some dashboards left, lights, and a few other bits and bobs. I think I know where there are some doors that colour.