Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Mally's Stock Cars, Bikes,Life and Minor events.

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#121 ONLINE   Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Full Members
  • 12,767 posts
  • 53 thanks
  • LocationNext door

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:15 PM

2kg heavier means more momentum out of bends?

Hang on. It's all one big bend on an oval isn't it?

858735.png

#122 OFFLINE   Mally

Mally

• Full Members
  • 3,017 posts
  • 47 thanks

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:48 PM

Yes, and no.

On tarmac car is faster with weight as low as possible/allowed. Colin Chapman and all that.

On shale we find weight is good, more grip and as you say if you are good on the bends it keeps going fast.

This is fine until towards the end at some tracks, Kings Lynn is one, we are fast for 3/4 of the race, then when it drys out and all the top shale has gone it's a bit like smooth tarmac, so we tend to be slower, where others speed up.

Different driving styles, different makes of chassis/suspension, and people set the car up/guess, to suit themselves.

Then it pisses down in the middle of the race, which is why anyone can win on shale on the right circumstances.

Mildenhall is pretty much a circle, Kings lynn has two straight bits. Different diff ratios. Gearing plays a big part.

You have to be careful with weight, they weigh at big events.

• DSdriver, Jim Bell, paulplom and 2 others like this

#123 ONLINE   Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Full Members
  • 12,767 posts
  • 53 thanks
  • LocationNext door

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:09 PM

It's amazing all of the variables you've got really. I'd have thought (as an ignorant idiot) that this kind of racing would be the simplest and most straight forward. But when the track is literally changing all the time underneath you, in reality it must be anything but.
  • LightBulbFun likes this

858735.png

#124 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 10,585 posts
  • 119 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:20 PM

Can't the driver just go for a big shit and eat less to shave that 2kg off? Or does location of that weight play a part too?
  • snagglepuss and Jim Bell like this
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#125 OFFLINE   Mally

Mally

• Full Members
  • 3,017 posts
  • 47 thanks

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:25 PM

Car is weighed, not car and driver, anyway we want extra weight so we store it all up.

Jim couldn't do that he'd count 3 at least before he got to the start.

53 years ago when I started I just blew the tyres up, same diff every track, same set of tyres until they burst, never did the tracking, just fuel and water, never won.

Well, won twice in my life in a Stadium. I did win in Autograss racing at times.

My son is wiser, has more cash and is a better driver.  Car is well prepared because I have nothing else to do all week.

Surprising how many forget to tighten wheel nuts or run out of petrol. Done both those.

• Jim Bell, Tickman and paulplom like this

#126 OFFLINE   Spottedlaurel

Spottedlaurel

• Full Members
  • 3,931 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationNorfolk

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:27 PM

I watched Superstox at Foxhall last Saturday. I was wondering how they differ to F2?

The home of one previous owner Japanese cars:

1973 Datsun 1200 B110 2dr; 1980 Laurel 2.4 C230; 1988 Sunny 1.6 LX N13
1992 Camry 2.2GL (definitely just for spares now); 1993 Camry Estate 2.2GL on the road again!!

2014 Lexus RX450h

#127 ONLINE   Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Full Members
  • 12,767 posts
  • 53 thanks
  • LocationNext door

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:45 PM

Car is weighed, not car and driver, anyway we want extra weight so we store it all up.

Jim couldn't do that he'd count 3 at least before he got to the start.

If I had to drive a race car I'd literally poo my pants then tell everyone it was just mud on my overalls/helmet.

• snagglepuss and louiepj like this

858735.png

#128 OFFLINE   Mally

Mally

• Full Members
  • 3,017 posts
  • 47 thanks

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:02 PM

I watched Superstox at Foxhall last Saturday. I was wondering how they differ to F2?

Used to watch Superstox at Great Yarmouth years ago. Always thought they were cheaper, they tend not to bump as much as we do.

There used to be a big gulf between Brisca and Spedeworth, Spedeworth was a breakaway from Brisca many years ago IIRC.

These days Deane Woods owns Spedeworth and also promotes Brisca, so the rules have become closer in recent years.

Have just read quickly through the Spedeworth rules, it seems Cortina front uprights are banned, we run them on our car, never had a problem in 10 years. We have large Aerofoils, they have a tiny wing, different control tyres.

There will be lots of minor things but unless you are involved in it you never notice.

It took us a year or two to master our rules, its a 125 page book. 

You just buy a car off someone who's good and pick their brains.

By the time you are good enough to win you have sufficient knowledge to hopefully pass Scrutineering.

• Spottedlaurel, mercrocker and Jim Bell like this

#129 OFFLINE   Spottedlaurel

Spottedlaurel

• Full Members
  • 3,931 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationNorfolk

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:11 PM

Used to watch Superstox at Great Yarmouth years ago............

Thanks Mally. Closer to each other than I'd imagined.

The home of one previous owner Japanese cars:

1973 Datsun 1200 B110 2dr; 1980 Laurel 2.4 C230; 1988 Sunny 1.6 LX N13
1992 Camry 2.2GL (definitely just for spares now); 1993 Camry Estate 2.2GL on the road again!!

2014 Lexus RX450h

#130 OFFLINE   Mally

Mally

• Full Members
  • 3,017 posts
  • 47 thanks

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:17 PM

Can't the driver just go for a big shit and eat less to shave that 2kg off? Or does location of that weight play a part too?

Location of weight pays a big part. We have scales and weigh pretty much every week.

Weights are closely checked at big events.

There is a max % inside weight and cross weights, dunno what they are I'm only allowed to carry the scales.

No ballast weights are allowed, been a few banned for that.

Ste changes his cross weight for different tracks and knows how to tweek it at the track if it's not going round as he thInks it should.

We did hire the old car to Ben Howard, F1 Williams mechanic. He has his own F2 now.

He looked at the bald inside tyres, wobbled the steering wheel for play (quite a bit).

Jumped in and did very well. Tried to buy it but at the time we weren't selling.

• SiC likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users