Range Rover P45? - it's hot.

drum

I'm risking starting a thread.

Edit: now with words and pictures.

If you've read the Errol Auction thread you'll know about this great* buy.

I am an eternal optimist when it comes to old cars, but I wasn't so naive as to think this was going to be painless. Before bidding, I told my dad, who had been tasked by mither to stop me buying anything, that I thought it was only a small gamble because "it'll be worth 500 in parts" and "remember my broken disco I got £450 for" etc. and it had new tyres and was shiny...

post-5582-0-74624000-1519155754_thumb.jpg

The bidding started at 400, everyone looked at their feet not wanting to catch the auctioneer's eye. Except me. I executed my subtle catalogue flutter while making eye contact - best to keep things incognito in the auction room. The auctioneer wasn't for keeping my identity secret though, as he gleefully declared the Rangey matches my jacket, gesturing in my direction in case someone in the hall hadn't spotted the berk in the big blue ski jacket bidding on this obvious lemon.

After a brief dalliance with the diesel Oldsmobile (I was top bidder but no deal done...yet) it was time to pay up and drive off with the new wheels.

Only it was playing dead. 'Engine disabled' was the dash message. Lovely.

Morris Leslie's hi-viz boys couldn't get it to wake up even though "it drove off the transporter fine". Not words that bring contentment to the hapless buyer.

I went home to type p38 engine disabled into google. When saabnut mentioned "empty header tank"and "liner drop" I had more googling to do.

I returned yesterday armed with some tools, new found knowledge about EKA codes and a 6 pint milk carton filled with water. Small beardy hi-viz Morris Leslie regular car shuffler declared the RR deader than a dead thing as "it's not going into park properly so won't start". I told him I thought it was the key not speaking to the car and wanted to try a couple of things. Anyway, it looked like it was in park to me.

The key in the door lock lefty righty code procedure did nothing. Lights should flash if the code is going in and the weren't flashing. Apparently the micro switch in the door lock can need a fettle, so off with the door card.post-5582-0-45315700-1519160416_thumb.jpg

There was a broken wire in the loom inside the door but it didn't seem to go anywhere near the lock and sure enough, twisting the ends together made no difference.

Beardy came by again shaking his head, tutting and saying he thought I would have brought a trailer. He didn't say I was an idiot. Not out loud at least.

I was thinking about what recovery company to call when with some further key twisting while pressing fob buttons and it only burst into life!

Who's the idiot now beardy! Trailer my ass...

post-5582-0-66378700-1519161302_thumb.jpg

Starting Procedure:

Turn key. Go home. Come back. Strip door down. Waggle key, press random buttons, fasten seatbelt, engage drive, clench sphincter, pray to the shite gods & have recovery on speed dial, and tell loved ones you will probably be late home

EFA

I'm sure the ginger bearded guy owns this.

29839315363_4a2ef21788_c.jpgDSC_0227 by srblythe, on Flickr

30173603760_f70eaa5e68_c.jpgDSC_0229 by srblythe, on Flickr

Maybe a bunch of wannabe classic car journalists were up testing the Range Rover in a hilarious top gear style challenge which could explain the current condition of the car.

Remember the Samara anyone?

The story didn't end there.

I poured some water into the header tank. It only took about 2 pints.

Drove it round to where I'd parked the polo and left it to come up to temperature.

The temp gauge sat bang on normal for half an hour. There was water dripping underneath which seemed to be coming from the water pump.

Feeling brave, I filled up the milk carton and set off. Got about 200 yards and the temp gauge shot up.

The header tank was doing a good impression of a kettle. Left it for a while as it cooled down and managed to get about half a pint of water in. Started it up again and the temp needle sat at normal. I set up off again watching the needle like a hawk. It sat bonnie at normal for 2 miles then without warning shot up into the red.

Shoulda brought a trailer...

I parked up and phoned the recovery boys. It's only the second time in 20 years I've used the breakdown perk of my bank account.

post-5582-0-24400600-1519165700_thumb.jpg

post-5582-0-47935500-1519165732_thumb.jpg

It's now parked up at my shed in Kirrie.

post-5582-0-48916100-1519165836_thumb.jpg

Tonight after work I took it for a drive.

Drove it for two miles and the temperature never wavered.

post-5582-0-56756100-1519165952_thumb.jpg

There's a fairly heavy drip of water from the water pump.

post-5582-0-80504300-1519166017_thumb.jpg

It's booked into a local indy LR garage for a diagnosis.

I've told them I want to know if it has the dreaded liner slip or could it (fingers crossed) be just the water pump.

The radiator looks new, making me think the previous owner was looking for the cheap fixes like a blocked rad.

What says you?

There's a chance that the previous owner fitted a rad, not bled it properly, and all will be rosy.

There's a MUCH BIGGER chance that you're right - the previous owner tried all the cheap stuff and then offloaded it before he needed to take a brave pill and cash in his pension to fix it.

I've been wrong before, I hope I'm wrong this time!