Shitting Cars

purplebargeken

I know we have the grumpy thread but...

I think I am finally, after many false starts over the years coming to the end of my tether with regards to cars. 

The Rover 75 was the camel back breaking straw. 

Despite being a damn sight thinner than I have been in decades I find myself tired and pretty fucked off. I know I've just had a major op but that's only part of it tbh.

I have a potentially lovely Dolomite 1850HL auto in the garage. It needs panels replacing and obviously welding. The exhaust needs refitting as manifold leak, thankfully no way as fucking awful as Vulg's issue with the Princess. The autobox oil needs emptying and new poured in. 

The Galaxy needs a patch on the exhaust sorting and a new rear carpet would not go amiss. Also a rocker cover gasket. It's a big old thing and that might make me happy but it's not ready for use yet as not 'classic insurance friendly' and I have no spare funds to do anything wallet raping insurance-wise. 

The Rover. A lovely car that drove beautifully but has now put me off getting another one ever again. Not entirely it's singular fault but it tipped me over the edge. This car has prevented me form getting my hands on a certain green MGF that I owned before. I cannot forgive that. It will either get sold on here or it will get bridged. No other options are available. The roffle cannot go on for a car that is an unknown mechanical quantity.

The i10. White good car, shite mpg. Dull and has an annoying headlight bulb blowing party trick. I do not care about it at all. It will go in a years time when I retire. Hopefully then Galaxy. 

I have a cheap, simple estate car at the barn that will be pressed into service when the Rover goes. I am hoping that it's charming simplicity will be the soothing balm that my tired body and mind needs.

Anybody fancy a Dolomite project? PM me if interested. Then I can get a green MGF perhaps. 

Sack them all off, buy an early 1990’s Jap, bore yourself senseless with the infinite reliability, then question whether you want a ‘project’ again.

I’m on my 55th car in 25 years, and when the end of this February hits, I’ll have achieved something I’ve never managed yet - to not buy or sell any cars in 12 months. The whole thing stemmed from the realisation of just how much money I’ve pissed away on shit cars over the years.

I actually feel pretty good about it. Maybe you should try it!

The Galaxy and the estate will be staying as the Galaxy will become a weekend camper type thing. I can bear that just due to getting to see different places and being able to kip when I am tired.

The estate as simple, practical and well, just potentially nice. 

Your comments have merit. 

I sympathise with you Ken, I am going through a similar phase where no matter how much money or time I spend doing super work on a project, it always rewards me with a kick up the Archibald.

On Sunday morning there, the garage door remained closed and I put on my running shoes and had a fantastic jog in the country.

Perhaps its time just to give cars a break for a bit, concentrate on your health and give your mind a break and do something else for a wee while.

I thought it's about this kind of stuff.

SN1NtUG.jpg

Have you seen just how much they deppreciate?! They lose an astronomical amount of money in just a few years.

Purplebargeken I sympathise with you for sure, sometimes it helps to step back and have something which just works. I just didnt need things like my suspension collapsing at 4am whilst heading to work.

Doesnt keep my nose out the classifieds through...

The Rover. A lovely car that drove beautifully but has now put me off getting another one ever again.  This car has prevented me form getting my hands on a certain green MGF 

Every mushroom cloud has a silver lining. From one K Series shed to another? Fuckinell. 

Like the MX5 but might be a bit smaller inside and more expensive overall?

Yeah, gotta be able to write about something lol.

More expensive to buy, but more reliable and so less expenditure overal. Also front engine, rear wheel drive is a lot easier to work on than mid engine, rear wheel drive. Engine bay has plenty of room to work around in and it's simple mechanicals. The MK1 MX5 we had gave me the confidence to start fettling with cars it was that easy to work on.

Of course, just watch out for the rust.

Had one, an MGF that is..

Can see, in theory why you want one Ken, but the reality may well be different. If you need a break from auto shizzle and hassle then the tree you are barking up may well be more of the same.

Plus I am sorry that the R75 turned out to be a pile, it really was ok once! I drove it from Norf to Sarf and it was really sweet. Soz!

I loved my MGF's and even though K series, I never had one iota of hassle with them. The green one that I am hoping to obtain is my old one. It had new belts and so on. I loved it. It was scruffy but what the heck, it went well though. Plus it fits in the garage and can be fettled on in relative comfort with no real timescale hassles. Plus I know literally dozens of folk who know these cars inside out and they are all pretty much local. 

The R75 was a truly lovely car, it went well with the 1.8 lump in it and was really very smooth indeed. It's sods law mate, I really hoped that I had sorted it and for the first party of the journey it seemed to be the case. It's no-ones fault, it really is just one of those things. It really is.

You bastard.......  ;)  :lol: