James Hull Collection auction, 21 March

quicksilver

The DIGIT version of the BX 19GT is a new one on me. Check out that dash:

attachicon.gifDC986549-4D80-45D2-9FC5-8A90CF27FDEB.jpeg

Liking the CXs too. Petrol flavour for personal preference.

The BX 19 Digit is a BX 19 GT (4 cylinder engine, 1905 cc, giving 105 hp and a top speed of I03 mph). It features very comprehensive equipment which is mostly electronic, including:

• an electronic dashboard including, notably, a central stylised diagrammatic display of speed, doubled with a digital display theref as well as a semi-circular stylised display of the number of revs per minute of the engine.

• the existing warning light, detecting whether or not the four doors are closed is supplemented by a warning light, to the left of the dashboard, indicating whether the bonnet and rear hatchback are open.

• all mechanical controls, water, oil, etc. are situated together to the right of the dashboard.

• above the dashboard: overall kilometre counter, and daily counter.

• a BX I9 GT style on-board computer with screen, the information from which can also be displayed on the electronic dashboard (reminder switch).

• a high quality HI-FI car radio, including “woofer” under the dashboard, two tweeters and two loudspeakers in the padded door panels, two appliances for headphones and a 12 volt plug.

• remote control for the locking and unlocking of doors, which also operates the internal lighting.

• detection of non-functioning rear lamps by means of a light situated on the dashboard (to the left).

• a switch for regulating the lighting of the interior.

• warning signal indicating that warning lights are flashing.

The electronic facia of the BX 19 Digit is clear, legible and well structured. It provides the driver with selected, precise and essential information. It is efficient, discreet and silent.

It seems that electronics will be closely linked to the progress of the automobile for a long time to come. With this version, which uses the most refined automobile techniques, the BX reconfirms its modern image, and finds itself once again in the limelight of innovation. 

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/passenger-cars/psa/bx/bx-17.html

post-4787-0-72639400-1520116502_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Are they charging to get in ? I will be there around 11 in the morning and will have a couple of bikes in the back. One going back home and the other off to a new home. So I might even have some spare cash to waste.

Yes they are charging, £20 per catalogue entry for two.

I plan to be there around 12 noon as the children"s cars are going though first and will pm you my mobile number.

I've often wondered if this is the guy who owned my Citroen from nearly new in 1998.

On my V888 info it states a DR James Hull from Bertal Road, London.

There's only this guy and another who deals with athletes that I can find from London with that name...

It was pretty rough mind and probably all it was worth. There were some unbeliveable prices paid for very below average motors. I only stayed to see how much my old Ital camper made (£1500 plus commision) then set off home as there were no bargains to be had as it was all making retail money. The Benelli moped I was after made a strong £900 which with no paperwork is a lot of money for a moped. A rough Allegro estate that needed wings at least made £700. Don't get me started on some of the prices they got for the pedal cars 5 grand for a petrol powered Cobra !

The two CXs looked good value at £2200 for the diesel and £2600 for the petrol.

I agree the Digit looked tidy but there was rust poking out from the front screen and evidence of past repairs in usual BX places.

The Visa looked very nice but was not concours standard, the £1200 seemed fair and a little above my expectation. 

So did anyone buy anything? Website now updated with hammer prices and they mostly seem about where I expected with no real bargains but not much going for ridiculous money either.

Did you view the auction as the condition of these cars was not good. There certainly weren't any bargains or even anything close to trade money amongst the tidy looking stuff. The cheap stuff was only really suitable for spares. I couldn't even afford lunch from one of the over priced hipster caterers in attendence. (no burgers but you could have steak and frites from an old Estafette for a tenner)

My experience of these things is they are a bit of a weird circus so I stopped going. If a car is not super rare or unusual I can't see the point. I could be even more negative but I won't. Much better to meet an owner over a nice cup of tea. I've bought some cars off lovely people and had fun going to loads of places...Dartmoor, Bournemouth, Diss, etc rather than at these anonfests. Each to his own and the £20 catalogue price is 2/5 what I paid for a couple. Hey ho.

The two CXs looked good value at £2200 for the diesel and £2600 for the petrol.....

That sounds about right, given that the petrol S1 was running, and the diesel S2 wasn't (and needs suspension work - sounds like new spheres / pump / regulator needed). Nice to see the rear ends weren't rotten, which seems to happen on Safaris/Familiales.