Mondeo estate. New pela playing

scdan4

ta da,

post-19553-0-07143700-1519056019_thumb.jpg

Freshly acquired today, one anonymous estate car.

Needed to catch a train to get it, which was surprisingly pleasant, then threw it straight into M4 schlepping. Staines to Brizzle to Swindon. Its all glamour this self employed lark.

I had a string of sierras and festas back when men were men, so have many a fond ford memory but i've not had a mondeo before. Initial impressions are that it is a nice enough place to be.

The reason I bought this one rather than a better condition one nearer for less is

post-19553-0-15158400-1519056058_thumb.jpg

There was no way I was moving to a smaller engine just cos the camry can't fit all my shit in it!

It goes suitably well but playtime was curtailed by both the traffic and the presence of a pronounced schreeching noise from the engine on heavier throttle applications. Not reassuring. However, it was quite at home in the fast lane and felt totally effortless keeping up with the germans.

This is not a minter, there is only 1 key, no paperwork other than a v5, radio is locked out and it's a cat c with recent scuffs to front and rear and if i'm going to use it it needs a towbar, but it only cost £800...

...which is fine as long as the engine don't lunch itself.

Questions for the masses: How do i get the radio code and / or second key without applying for a second mortgage? Is there a schreechy they all do that sir for the engine?

Don’t know about keys but the internet will yield a code, quite possibly even gratis, if you pull out the radio and get the serial number.

That seems to have a front bumper off a Mondeo ST on it btw, no idea if replacement or factory option. Looks good mind.

New car activities, well, internet research.

Radio keys ordered to remove radio, to get serial number, to get code, which will be cheap or free. Keys due Thursday. (Place your bets).

Car key is very probably a dealer only job as I only have one. (If you have 2 keys you can program more in easily ,but not if you only have one.) there is a good auto locksmiff round the corner so I’ll ask him first,but expect to be off to ford for a second. 150 seems steep but inevitable.

Mechanic has been driven round the block to listen to the noise, and he’s not unduly concerned, and guessed at aux belt or tensioner. Having been internetting I am not convinced that it’s not “moosing” which is a bit of a TADTS. The age old ignore it and see what happens will be applied

Parking sensors are broke and just emit a constant tone. Internet says that happens, I will attempt fix later.

Apart from all that it pootled very nicely through town to the daughters swimming lessons, although there doesn’t seem to be a mpg readout anywhere. Probably for the best.

Don’t be fooled in to the old dealer only excuse when you have just one key.

Sure enough if you have 2 then that means you can’t get the car into “programming mode” to add new keys which is a piece of piss to do.

However if you do have 1 key timpsons isn’t a bad shout as if they can do it they will clone your existing fob!if they can do this the only downside is you still can’t program new keys as you still effectively (as far as the cars concerned anyway) have one fob.

Other than that with my 1st mondeo that had one key I took it to an auto locksmiths who had the kit to add and remove keys and they then just added the fob and blade I’d bought off eBay then job done.

Don’t go to a dealer they will bum you royally for a job like that! I paid about 40 quidditch for a new fob and tibbe blade then 20 quid to the locksmith!you can spend less if you buy a second hand fob.

Steve

I went of the 'Ford Of Keys' self learning voyage with a Fester a couple of years ago.

Fester came with one key, no key number.

There is knowledge on the internet that tells you how to 'read the code' from your current key by studying the individual chamfers - sounds tricky but I found it quite easy.

With the code you can order a blank cut to your new found code, this was cheap, can't recall how cheap.

Any second had fob of the era will fit the 'cut bit'

So now you have two 'metal bits' that will turn your locks

With a good second had fob, you can tune the second hand fob to pen and lock the doors by using the original key to put the locking into tune mode.

This gets you to two working metal bits and two working remotes but you still only have one key that will start the car due to the immobiliser.

Now for the ''shitters' way out. You tape the working immobiliser up behind the dash so it is in range of the imobiliser.

You get a second fob and tune it to the car

You now have two working metal bits, two working fobs to open and close and two keys that work to start the car because the original immobile bit is taped behind the dash.

It isn't as secure as Mr Fard intended but it is a shitters way around it

This is an ST220 without the wheels right? I didn't think the 3.0 V6s were a '54 plate thing...

Either way, FAST ESTATE WIN!

They have a different exhaust manifold which lops 20BHP off the top end (and obviously don't have a twin exit exhaust either, though I daresay that makes no difference). I think the ST220 also has sportier suspension. My estate handles really nicely though, on the rare occasions I attack dry roundabouts with it it just seems to go into a slight four wheel drift when the grip runs out- which is good, as there's a lot of grip... :)

although there doesn’t seem to be a mpg readout anywhere. Probably for the best.

Press the button on the end of the indicator stalk, it scrolls through the trip computer functions, one of which is average MPG. A momentary press of the button by the rev counter switches between imperial and metric, a longer press resets the MPG readout (and the average speed readout at the same time, I think). They can apparently do an instantaneous readout, but I daresay you'd need a hacked OBDII reader and suitable software to enable it if it's not there, and I CBA. I get 33-36 mpg out of mine on longer trips, my record was 40.4 from Yeovil to SE London taking it very easy indeed, while enjoying the excellent factory stereo to keep myself amused :) . Round town 20-22 is typical in London daytime traffic, at night you can edge it towards 30 if you preserve momentum carefully  :roll: .

This is an ST220 without the wheels right? I didn't think the 3.0 V6s were a '54 plate thing...

Either way, FAST ESTATE WIN!

There are not many of them about, hence  I've got this tatty one. There are loads of 2.5's out there, but I knew that every time I sat in one I would be disappointed it wasn't a 3 litre. I was trying for a mid life crisis st220 but they can't tow legally, which makes them a non starter for me, and I've always preferred squishy comfortable rides, so the softer suspension (which feels plenty firm to me) is a good thing.

Nice to drive though, been tooling round town in it. Strong midrange and revs well. Fast estate win indeed. 

Have had time to play today.

Second key acquired from the local locksmiff. (80 quid). But it is a new key, rather than a clone, so other keys can be added at will. Which, following the advice above, should be considerably cheaper.

Radio keys from ebay arrived so popped them in and pulled the head unit to get the serial number.

post-19553-0-88626700-1519226094_thumb.jpg

Whoever you are, thank you you sensible person you. I do stuff like this all the time and I hope it makes people as happy as it makes me if they ever find it.

post-19553-0-56098300-1519226220_thumb.jpg

Pumped up the chooons on a drive and stereo is better than adequate and no speakers are blown (yet). Good.

Next question is has it ever been serviced?

Oil looked recentish. Certainly not black and lumpy.

post-19553-0-12273500-1519226429_thumb.jpg

Air filter looks due replacement but passable

post-19553-0-36904100-1519226668_thumb.jpg

And the pollen filter looks to have been replaced in living memory.

post-19553-0-25485900-1519226557_thumb.jpg

So it needs a service but its not gagging which pleased me, unlike this discovery.

post-19553-0-71117900-1519226768_thumb.jpg

Some idiot has fitted it with wanker lights. Happily these are soon banned and I've got a year to get rid of them (next mot), but still. Bah. Anyone breaking one of these? I've not looked deeper to see how much of the ford headlights are missing. hopefully it's just a gayer bulb set and they've not chopped anything too badly.

I started it and it made the noise, so bimbled round to the mechanic. On revving and in particular on the sink back down there is a rhythmic weird goose honk crossed with ghost whhooooooooohhhhh. He looked and listened, said he'd never heard the like and then said "everythings a fucking tight fit in there isn't it not sure i'll work on that one". Which was reassuring. Equally, although loud it doesn't sound life threatening in any way so we are still at drive it until something happens and then see.

Next up, Parking sensors. Put it in reverse and there is a solid warning tone. "Parking sensor duff" says the internet. Easy.

Impressively flush fitting parking sensors aren't they. Can't see where they are at all.

post-19553-0-31514000-1519227761_thumb.jpg

A quick look behind...

post-19553-0-46427100-1519227852_thumb.jpg

Bastard. That'll be the cat c bumper then. Um, anyone breaking one of these with parking sensors? While we are at it I need a towbar as well please.

Its also very stiff getting it into reverse. Will investigate.

Adjusted the washer jets so they hit the screen and topped it up with screenwash, found the clearly labelled "info" stalk tip exactly where Rave said it would be. 

post-19553-0-18379300-1519228248_thumb.jpg

Not too bad?

So far so good. 

I started it and it made the noise, so bimbled round to the mechanic. On revving and in particular on the sink back down there is a rhythmic weird goose honk crossed with ghost whhooooooooohhhhh. He looked and listened, said he'd never heard the like and then said "everythings a fucking tight fit in there isn't it not sure i'll work on that one". Which was reassuring. Equally, although loud it doesn't sound life threatening in any way so we are still at drive it until something happens and then see.

That does sound like the crank breather pipe has collapsed and split. TADTS; mine had, though it didn't make any noise and didn't seem to affect the running. I spotted mine while I had the upper inlet manifold off to change the plugs (which also didn't need doing, but meh). The official pipe is 30 quid or something; being a tightwad I just pulled the (pathetic) bit of Ford rubber off the two plastic ends of it and cut a piece of (much more substantial feeling) 5/8" radiator hose to fit, total cost three quid from the motor factor down the road including the two jubilee clips I used to make sure it was secure.

The inlet manifold is a bit of a pig to get off, you have to grub about between it and the bulkhead as there's a pipe secured to it back there. Removing the brace bar bit under the wipers makes that a bit easier, only two bolts to pull it out, so would recommend doing that. Can probably do the job in <2 hours. A magnetic retriever would probably save a lot of swearing if you drop one of the nuts, though miraculously enough I didn't.

Nice find! I love a good Mk3, drove a V6 st220 once that had been played with and it didnt feel as pokey as my 2.2tdci.

I used to have hundreds of mondeo parts, think all my headlights got binned but im heading up my unit tomorrow morning so will have a look for some. They come out dead easy (two pins go upwards and boom! Theyre out!)

What happened to the purple throbber?

Rave, that’s amazing info, thanks. Will do that at service with plugs then. Just found your talkford post about it as well.

Sutty, the purple throbber is still providing sterling daily service. Mot next Friday...

If you have any lights or sensors I’ll gladly give you money for them.

Too cold to do much but having driven it at night the wanker hid lights were ditched as a matter of urgency. I’ve fitted nightbreakers to everything for ages, as they are ace.

post-19553-0-34193000-1519761652_thumb.jpeg

Happily the hid kit was just a bulb set so hadn’t fucked anything up so the night breakers went in and this mess

post-19553-0-26898000-1519762295_thumb.jpeg

Went straight in the bin.

And, yes, whoever designed the headlight removal system really does deserve a certificate of welldoneness. Genius.

• 2 weeks later...

New* shoes and alignment check. 

post-19553-0-20463800-1520526955_thumb.jpg

Goes in a straight line now. Huzzah.

Then I was going to service it, but am (still) waiting for both a pela and a jack in the post, so that wasn't to be.

Farty hose replacement it is then. Inlet manifold off

post-19553-0-74799800-1520527099_thumb.jpg

Farty hose acquired. Not split but brittle and stiff as a vicar

post-19553-0-01490500-1520527185_thumb.jpg

Some kitchen butchery (much warmer) and replacement with some heater hose.

post-19553-0-04486500-1520527255_thumb.jpg

Refitting is the reverse of removal. Except I managed to trap a wire so it all had to come off again to free it.

New air filter, cabin filter more closely inspected and now rated as gopping. I thought it was a charcoal one. Turns out it's just filthy. I banged it out and will replace, probably in the autumn knowing me.

And it started and idled with no drama after. Always nice when you've been up to your elbows in something you need tomorrow.

Feel kinda remiss pointing it out at this stage, but that pipe can be replaced without removing the UIM

Good practice for when you do the plugs though..

As I put it back together I reached that conclusion. On the way in though I was unsure which pipe it was. As you say, good practice and bonding.

Ooh, I only just noticed this thread.500cc more than me! Envy! Mine is in better nick though. Also, where did your heated seat switches go?Also, auto or manual?

It had to be the 3 litre cos I am odd. In my usual fashion it had to be bought NOW, not next week. It couldn’t be a 220 as they cant tow. There were 2 for sale nationally, I got the closest one.

No heated seats. One struggles but copes.

All 3.0s are manual. AFAIK all non-ST220 3.0s have the 6 speed Getrag, as they didn't start selling them until about 2004.

It is indeed. Manual was a must for this one. Shouldn’t be a 6 speed though. First is too short and 2nd a bit lost. Needs them 2 replacing with a 1.5 gear, then the others are grrrrrreat.

I don’t know rave, I haven’t driven it enough to know yet. The missus likes it enough that it is now referred to as “my car” by her. Although she is also convinced it’s a Honda.

Time appeared today to play with my new pela. Assume the position.

post-19553-0-14351500-1520949853_thumb.jpeg

Do the filter which was remarkably easy. Situated at the front in the middle. Just a shame there is too much radiator in the way to get to it from the top, I still had to lie on the floor to get to it. Seeing as I broke my arse sledging in OMGSNOKAOS that still posed some discomfort.

I hadn’t really warmed it up, so the oil was thick, so the pela was very slow. So after a cup of tea idle control valve off and sprayed with electrical contact cleaner.

post-19553-0-31032400-1520950245_thumb.jpeg

Just cos really. It’s always improved anything I’ve done it to.

Pela still sucking. So break out the t cut and turn this

post-19553-0-98694000-1520950448_thumb.jpeg

Into this

post-19553-0-90915300-1520950501_thumb.jpeg

Which was worth doing.

Pela done

post-19553-0-95790400-1520950575_thumb.jpeg

New oil in and jobs a goodun. Very easy to pour from the pela into the waste pot.

post-19553-0-21154000-1520950681_thumb.jpeg

Was the sum total of the mess, (all from the filter) which for me is a fucking miracle.

Happy days.