Loan Car. Modern dropped me in it.

pandamonium

My 2007 Mini has FTP'd,leaving me in the doodoo, as I need a car for work, and to take my son to and from the drop off point. The garage the warranty is with doesn't have a loan car available at the moment.

I realise it's a ridiculous question, but does anyone in the vicinity of Essex have a 'spare' car I could loan for a while? Either that or I'll just look for a 150 quid banger to run into the ground.

Bloody moderns. The whole point in getting this car was to eliminate FTPs and have some peace of mind.

Thanks guys.

I kinda needed wheels by tomorrow, but may have a backup plan involving Colchester Zoo and trains. Sods law it will piss it down tomorrow.

Will await pm.

Garage bloke says he thinks it may just be the header tank pipe and all may be well. I am not so hopeful. It sounded like a diesel before I turned it off, was hunting at idle and the oil and temperature warning lights were taking turns. Plus a big oily smell when I lifted the bonnet.

Thanks guys.

I kinda needed wheels by tomorrow, but may have a backup plan involving Colchester Zoo and trains. Sods law it will piss it down tomorrow.

Will await pm.

Garage bloke says he thinks it may just be the header tank pipe and all may be well. I am not so hopeful. It sounded like a diesel before I turned it off, was hunting at idle and the oil and temperature warning lights were taking turns. Plus a big oily smell when I lifted the bonnet.

Something something cam chain tensioner springs to mind.

The main issues I have are as follows:

I need to get my son to Marks Tey at 4pm tomorrow. I've checked rail links etc and it basically means I will be spending all my quality time with my lad, on trains and bus replacement services most of tomorrow.

The AX is an awesome offer, but I'd be pretty much in the same boat trying to collect it due to bus replacement services, as Braintree is pretty much in the same area.

Castros_bro is a lot further away, but has kindly offered a delivery service, unfortunately that wouldn't be in time for tomorrow.

In short, I'm appreciative of the offers, but it looks as though I'll be braving public transport tomorrow.

And yes, this place is awesome. I wouldn't have dared even asked the question elsewhere. I was even prepared for a flaming here for being so cheeky.

I can't assist, but wanted to say what a good place this forum is.

I asked this question on a motorcycle forum once and got some quite angry responses...

I lent my CBR600 to a colleague who was thinking about returning to two wheels. Within a week he had splashed out nigh on a bag of sand on helmet suit boots and gloves. He used it for a few months (And had it serviced and MOT'd) before buying his own bike a few weeks ago.

He any me this afternoon to say the bike he purchased has broken down again (long story of breakdowns since he purchased it) but the dealer is picking it up and getting it sorted. So guess who lent him his CBR600 until he gets it back? I really don't mind-ots done over 80,000 miles and he looks after it. After all its far better being ran everyday that sitting in the car park at work for months on end

I lent my CBR600 to a colleague who was thinking about returning to two wheels. Within a week he had splashed out nigh on a bag of sand on helmet suit boots and gloves. He used it for a few months (And had it serviced and MOT'd) before buying his own bike a few weeks ago.

He any me this afternoon to say the bike he purchased has broken down again (long story of breakdowns since he purchased it) but the dealer is picking it up and getting it sorted. So guess who lent him his CBR600 until he gets it back? I really don't mind-ots done over 80,000 miles and he looks after it. After all its far better being ran everyday that sitting in the car park at work for months on end

You are kind, and kindness is A Good Thing.

Without going into all the ins and outs, I was in a position where I needed to commute about nine miles on a shift pattern, so public transport was a no-go, and other circumstances meant that the car was needed elsewhere.  This situation was set to last about three months.

My impression from my time on the bike forum was that most enthusiasts have a spare 125 knocking about the place somewhere so I asked if I could borrow one (with, of course, a promise that I'd look after it and return it with a fresh service, a brick of beers or some other appropriate thanks).

I didn't really expect a result but I was surprised at the level of flaming I received.

I own a number of bikes - a few that I purchased to turn a quick profit on, but never get the urge to sell on. Happy to lend a few of them to mates who are stuck (although I do have bikes that I don't want anyone else to ride!), as they are far better being used on a regular basis, hence I have 4 that I rotate as my commuter. In this cold weather the Xevo wins most days. 50,000 miles and going as good as ever.

I lent my lovely* Suzuki GT250 to someone as I was going away for a few months, he  was following a muck spreader (Dorset) along a road almost as wide as the muck spreader which stopped then started reversing, the GT250 having no reverse was abandoned as he leapt into the ditch as the muck spreader flattened the GT250.  He sent me a hand drawn postcard of the incident and I still piss myself laughing at it.