Midweek road trip - Triumph Dolomite content......

Arfur Foxache

Had a phone call last week from a contributor to the classic car press to see if I was available for an upcoming photo shoot and subsequent article offering a comparison between mine and another car of the era.

I’m lucky that I work for myself so can take a day off at will so agreed to pop down to Berkshire and make a day of it.

This led to the first of my issues.....The car wouldn’t start before Christmas, over Christmas or anytime I’d tried to get it running since.

Electronic ignition that I’d been going to fit for the last 4 years was ordered hastily along with a couple of spares sets of points, condensers and rotor arms.

Now I have no mechanical skills whatsoever and always relied on the Coventry branch of the Dolomite club for help but I moved into the back of beyond last year and didn’t really want to ask anyone to do the 30 mile round trip to assist so with a deep breath taken I headed for the garage on Saturday night.

I’m not sure why, but for some reason I decided to have a go at starting before I touched anything even though I knew I was wasting my time.

But.......it started first time. 2 months of cursing it while it made no effort to fire and it started as if I’d parked it up the night before. Did a few miles that night then had a spirited run to Triumph/MG Spares day at Coventry on Sunday and as its running ok, I’m not going to touch anything. Everything in the car just in case but time for somewhere in Berkshire I thought.

I met Magazine fellow at the Sunday show to be informed that Berkshire was off but we could do it out near Norwich instead so my 80 mile each way jaunt just doubled in mileage. I’ve no problem with that as the car did the Round Britain Run of 2000 miles in 48 hours in 2016 but it had a bit more prep than this.

As I write, the night before I head east, I am remembering the to do list that I needed to attend to after the Round Britain Run and which other than a new tyre I have ticked nothing off.

Anyway, looking forward to a run out and no doubt the car will be fine but have breakdown cover just in case. The car is an all original (except wheels and period Alpine radio cassette) 1978 Dolomite Sprint that just needs using more but also needs a bit of rust catching that is just starting to come through and a repaint which will hopefully be done later this year if funds allow.

I will take photos of the journey and at the other end although I guess won’t be able to put them up until magazine has been published.

I’ve done a few magazine things with the car but never took and kept any photos or notes so this is more a thread for me! If anyone else wants to read it, then please do.

Can I post pics to here from my phone so I can update as I go in real time?

I haven’t been without a Dolomite since 2009. This particular Sprint I’ve had since 2013.

Previous owner had owned since 1984 and was fastidious and only gave the car up due to advancing years and lacking strength to cope with lack of PAS. I had what felt like an interview before I was allowed to buy it but promised him and myself that as long as life allowed, it would be a keeper.

I knocked on his door unnanounced towards the end of last year and he was so pleased to see it that he came out with the same camera that took 100’s of photos on the day I bought it, and took a load more. I’ve had an colour drawing done of the car for him so will pop back again soon with that.

My Dolomite history involves a V8, 1500 SE, multiple 1500’s, 1850’s and Sprints and a 1500FWD. Most I had at one time was 7 and I have a picture somewhere of them all the garden at once. Only the FWD didn’t work.

Currently also have a 1972 Dolomite 1850 bought for 2018 Round Britain Run bit that one deserves a thread of its own as

A) it is brown. B) you can see the brushstrokes.

I am going on my own do any updates along the way in real time will mean that either traffic is heavy, breakfast stop or broken down.

A lack of updates will probably suggest an uneventful clear run which is not what makes for good reading really.

Anyway, off about 6 from Hinckley to bottom side of Norwich via A14/A11 or A14/A143 depending how I feel. Google giving same mileage and time either way. Will likely return home via the opposite route just because.

As hoped, an uneventful and clear run other than a bit of traffic around Cambridge.

Didn’t stop on the way up though as thought I’d get a cuppa and sandwich when I got here. AnywY now the big question.....What sort of industrial estate has no butty van? This one apparently.

Many (ours included) have a mobile one these days. Listen out for an ear-splittingly loud horn, closely followed by a modified van of some sort with a trail of slightly-overweight office workers and people in high-vis jackets attempting to run after it.

MrAF, how the fuck did I not realise about the Sprint? I am hoping to get my 1850HL ready for the 2012 RBRR and my little white TR engined Tolly will be taken on the 10 Countries in the same year. 

Will watch with interest and any hints and tips would be gratefully grabbed.

Ken

Some of the other stuff around the place. I know the white background places get some stick but when you present vehicles in a clean and immaculate environment people will pay more. It’s as if they have more confidence in what they are getting is better than if they bought the same car from me on my driveway.

post-17317-0-36008300-1518634408_thumb.jpeg

post-17317-0-42189200-1518634432_thumb.jpeg

post-17317-0-48017000-1518634454_thumb.jpeg

post-17317-0-77125800-1518634480_thumb.jpeg

post-17317-0-17805600-1518634516_thumb.jpeg

post-17317-0-79683200-1518634530_thumb.jpeg

I was there for about 2 hours. Photographer spends most of that time doing his thing and moving the cars to get what he needs then we do a few drive by runs while he gets some moving shots.

Then 15 minutes of chat about the car itself and the marque in general before heading home.

When I did a Practical Classics feature a couple of years ago, there was a lot more action shots with the photographer hanging out the open boot of a Freelander while we overtook, sped up, slowed down, swapped lanes, drove on the wrong side of the road for mile at a time etc. That was a much more relaxed day with a bit of time at the workshop, pub lunch, a bit of picture taking then more food etc etc....

Again the run home was a bit boring. I decided when I left that nothing was going to overtake me on the way home and other than an Yummy Mummy in a Mini Countryman who must have been late for her lunch date, nothing else passed me.

The good thing about the Sprint is that it will happily sit at 70+ for hours on end. It does get blown around a bit but you don’t feel vulnerable like you can do in a 1500 that’s revving it’s nuts off at 60mph.

Noticed when I got back that I’m missing a rear mud flap but looking at the pics it was missing when I got there this morning. I’ve a feeling it may have been gone since last year but not sure. A rear sidelight bulb was out when I got home and I’ve got a problem with my halogen headlight conversion as only one main beam bulb lights up on the flash. If I push stalk away to put main beam on, the same one lights up but knocks other side dipped beam off. Will investigate when I get chance.

Some of the other stuff around the place. I know the white background places get some stick but when you present vehicles in a clean and immaculate environment people will pay more. It’s as if they have more confidence in what they are getting is better than if they bought the same car from me on my driveway.

Car looks superb Arfur. Funnily enough, I was just reading about that white GSi the othe day on another site!

• 4 weeks later...