Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Uneconomical ZX Diesel and LDV Convoy

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 ONLINE   Scruffy Bodger

Scruffy Bodger

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 34 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:44 AM

I think i recognise this behavior from another forum.

OFFS small world.

Come up here and weld my Berlingo! It's grotty in the same places, inner wings, but not as bad

Too new sorry and I wouldn't be able to fight the urge to lick the windows and concentrate at the same time.

I still have the Volcane steering wheel sitting on a shelf somewhere.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8046/2851...C15 Camper by srblythe, on Flickr

I briefly fitted it to my C15 before I found an early single spoke wheel.

Check ebay, there's one at auction at the mo for maybe more than you think?

Lucas pumps are usually happy on the mix and conditions I mentioned provided they've done over 70-80k, it's the Bosch which handles -20C and 99% veg. Once ran a (Lucas) Epic-pumped 2.1TD on 70% veg through temps as low as -10C with a coolant heat exchanger but no preheat, it ran fine then and for years after.

I've run a few mixes but never taken the piss with them, I've known others with very weepy pumps in very short order, Bosch's quie the opposite. Lucas I've found fine for longevity on straight derv tho.

1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT

#62 ONLINE   Scruffy Bodger

Scruffy Bodger

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 34 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:59 AM

This is a great thread, enjoyed it, thanks! Just for my own info, as an aspiring welder with ideas of rescuing a few hopeless cases in the future, how long did all that take?

Always longer than you think and the rust is always at least twice as bad as you think. The welding is the easy bit really. It's cutting out, prep, cutting and building templates/measuring, transfering, actually cutting (tin snips, grinder, plasma, shear), bending fitting and tacking that take the time.

PMZHoDZ.jpg

If that's the sort of kit you have to use to make stuff it can take longer than a professional outfit too lol

• Datsuncog, johngarty, Dirk Diggler and 3 others like this

1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT

#63 ONLINE   Scruffy Bodger

Scruffy Bodger

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 34 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:09 PM

tGomIbS.jpg

Brakes were past their best.

c65Vv7D.jpg

Soooo

o57wYIQ.jpg

3TMCoki.jpg

Citroen in dead drop-link shocker :roll:

F4EvkIU.jpg

ydIDP8I.jpg

A new set of Pug wheel trims have been slapped on for now and apart from a blown headlamp bulb on dip I think Betty is about ready for an MOT :mrgreen:

• Lacquer Peel and Mrs6C like this

1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT

#64 OFFLINE   500tops

500tops

• Full Members
  • 447 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:47 PM

Favourite thread, right here!

#65 ONLINE   Scruffy Bodger

Scruffy Bodger

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 34 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:44 PM

1517426_10100645476469015_1356241179_n_z

For others benefit this is what's being referred too. Another ZX project of a friends that pushes the XUD engine way further than you might ever imagine. Huge VNT turbo, homemade and programmed ecu/controller, arp studs, forged rods, blue-printed, modified pump, 3" exhaust system, LSD etc etc.

Meanwhile Betty is getting some filler tomorrow apparently, that and a bit of adjustment on the handbrake and should have a ticket by the end of the week, fingers crossed.

Ps. 500tops I think you need to have a better look around the forum, there are some fantastic projects on here :-)

• The Moog and Arthur Foxhake like this

1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT

#66 ONLINE   Scruffy Bodger

Scruffy Bodger

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 34 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:47 PM

2sKWV8U.jpg

UDs7mF7.jpg

Little bit of Shuts/shults or whatever it's called and should be ok :-) The owner has done the bits and pieces since the welding, I've popped in for moral suport and to lend a hand where needed. Forgot about rear bearing too.

TmYexfj.jpg

Headlamp was just a blown bulb thankfully, no dodgy wiring to deal with :-) MOT ready fingers crossed.

Anyone interested in a bit of LDV dross that was too far gone too?

• The Moog, catsinthewelder, Tickman and 5 others like this

1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT

#67 ONLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 4,194 posts
  • 55 thanks

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:13 AM

V8 LDV?

#68 ONLINE   Scruffy Bodger

Scruffy Bodger

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 34 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:31 AM

V8 LDV?

I wish. Shallow fried Banana LDV I'm afraid, crispy round the edges.

1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT

#69 ONLINE   The Moog

The Moog

rusty old Starlet

• Staff
  • 7,323 posts
  • 45 thanks
  • LocationAccrington .. who the heck are they ...

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:10 AM

That would be delightful

2000 - Ford Poo ma 
2003 - Getz 

#70 OFFLINE   500tops

500tops

• Full Members
  • 447 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:59 AM

Yes please!

#71 ONLINE   Scruffy Bodger

Scruffy Bodger

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 34 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:27 PM

Ok. Well the background on this one. It's a "camper" that's been owned by the same very likeable chap for the last 10 years or so. It spends 5 or 6 months a year on hard-standing at a local yard not being used. He basically works his arse off over here and saves everything he can then buggers off to warmer climes for the rest of the year, comes back, rinse, repeat. When he is back the LDV is his only form of transport. It's loud, slow, agricultural feeling but as he has lived in it for periods of owning it he's grown attached to it. It's main (if only) saving grace is that it's got the renowned Transit based Banana chugger under the bonnet.

I did a bit of work to this a couple of years ago. Since then I have thankfully persuaded him to permanently leave the forward compartment carpet and lining out of the van. A persistent water leak from what seems to be various places towards the front of the van had led to the destruction of numerous spots of the floorpan. The carpet and lining works as a very effective sponge, couldn't believe how heavy it was when removed. It led to ideal conditions for rust to set in and fester, like these things need any more of an excuse?!

XSbFZKR.jpg

WyE9hQS.jpg

WyE9hQS.jpg

UkBIXjm.jpg

Sadly no photos of that bit being done down to the poxy ibrick I had at the time. After the last bit was done the whole thing has been blathered underneath with some form of treatment to try and keep the tin worm at bay. Thankfully it's more solid than it looks in the photos. There was more work done in the footwells which are now well covered in a coat of decent black paint.

1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT

#72 ONLINE   Scruffy Bodger

Scruffy Bodger

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 34 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:42 PM

It needed a bit more thn TLC for the last MOT.

D8rGXay.jpg

zGzvdQl.jpg

tKBIPT5.jpg

UXpvyrw.jpg

Both outside chassis members had significant amounts of rust lurking behind the scenes too. The outer layers were actually bulging out significantly, even tho the outer surface had no evidence of rust and would withstand a healthy impact with a screwdriver and a hammer. No before photos as it took long enough to do as it was.

1994 Peugeot 405 SRDT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users