Return of the Rusty Justy

Scruffy Bodger

I can't find the advert so how much is he actually wanting for it?

Hi. The ad is on post number 152 on page 6. The price is in the title £400.  :-)

130,500 miles, he bought it at about 125K. 3 door ZX's are rare as rocking horse shite now, this was originally bought for spares for the owners 16v but I deemed it too good to break after driving it back and persuaded him to MOT it.

Gates Cam belt kit and water pump at 125,000 miles,
New front disks and pads,
New rear brake cylinder,
New rear wheel bearing,
New drop links,
New fuel filter 2 months ago,
New rear beam mounts 2 months ago,
5 good tyres,
Power steering,
Keep fit windows,
Sunroof does NOT work but it doesn't leak,
Obligatory lacquer peel on roof and passenger wing is a poor colour match, replaced due to a scrape.

Now fitted with tow bar but no electrics fitted as it hasn't been used yet.

New gates fan-belt and track rod end to go with sale. The handbrake could do with a tweak and maybe get the tracking done if being fussy apparently.

If anyone wants some more pics I'll sort them out for you. For pics of welding work done previously see the start of this thread, all sheet metal used was Zintec and everything that needed doing was done.

For sale due to a new job with works van supplied.

Photos of the welding work done are at the start of this thread.

Spoke to the seller a couple of days ago and he is looking for £450 however it is due to be MOT'd in the coming few daysbandvso this is with 12 months ticket included - still very tempted but travel plus selling Volvo are a consideration. Said I would ring again after the MOT just to know if anything is thrown up so buy it before I do as I have run out of off road parking.

Spoke to the seller a couple of days ago and he is looking for £450 however it is due to be MOT'd in the coming few daysbandvso this is with 12 months ticket included - still very tempted but travel plus selling Volvo are a consideration. Said I would ring again after the MOT just to know if anything is thrown up so buy it before I do as I have run out of off road parking.

I've spoken to him earlier and yes, he's putting another MOT on it, he's also changing the heater plugs today. He's also just messaged me it's now provisionally sold to an old boy who lives locally to potter about in.

He sent me this photo yesterday, he's hoping they'll breed before they are parted. Wish they bloody would as I've always wanted a ZX 16v  :mrgreen:

post-25277-0-53603300-1549809846_thumb.jpg

Well the NAD ZX is still hanging around at the mo but it looks like the MOT tester is interested in buying it. All that was needed was a lower wishbone for the test, not surprising considering the state of the roads round here.

The 16v has finally been for an MOT too and failed on a few items, tyres, exhaust, lack of cat, wishbone bush and a bit of grot he wasn't happy with. So that should have a ticket by the end of the week  :mrgreen:

Meanwhile, I had the joyous job of replacing all four of what appear to be the original Beru heater plugs in the SRDT. What a fucking absolute twunt of a job that is!!! I knew it was going to be an arse doing the two behind the pump but FFS. Tying to get the 8mm nut and washer back on was sooooo bloody difficult without dropping it down the back of the pump.

Anyway, all done now with a set of Bosch Duraterms, a few people have mentioned they didn't think Beru were quite what they were so I went for those instead.

post-25277-0-07420700-1550427886_thumb.jpg

post-25277-0-28188200-1550427923_thumb.jpg

post-25277-0-21345700-1550427958_thumb.jpg

Ok, she's gone for £50 more than the asking price with a full MOT.

In other news the stars seem to be aligning for yet more ZX welding. Two Volcane TD's, including the stupidly poky one that's well north of 200bhp.

I've also been asked to do some to another Subaru Justy  :shock:  Thankfully this one is newer than the last and nowhere near as bad from what I've seen.

• 2 weeks later...

The ZX 16v has finally passed its MOT  :mrgreen: It's hot a slight misfire/hesitation at the mo apparently so that needs looking in to but at least it passed its test. Really looking forward to some hoonage in it as I've never had the chance to drive the proper petrol version.

iOZ88dv.jpg

I need one of these stickers on mine!

Had an 8v volcane and it was a peach so can only imagine a 16v is everything you'd expect

Lucky boy! I can't remember the last time I drove anything petrol tbh so it'll be quite a change to an XUD I'm sure. A pity they didn't fit the proper all ally engines in these but you can't have it all. It has got the variable inlet gubbins on this engine however so it'll be good to see what that's like and if it's working properly.

Lucky boy! I can't remember the last time I drove anything petrol tbh so it'll be quite a change to an XUD I'm sure. A pity they didn't fit the proper all ally engines in these but you can't have it all. It has got the variable inlet gubbins on this engine however so it'll be good to see what that's like and if it's working properly.

Not so lucky I bought it when I was 21. I'm 38 now!

• 2 weeks later...

Mr D Spares has said I can have one of his spare Autoshite stickers so hopefully now have that covered :-)

In other news I've been roped into sorting another rusty Justy!

S11sybd.jpg

Apologies for such a fuzzy photo I hadn't noticed the fail when I took it, I'll take some better ones at some point? This one's a bit newer than the last one and thankfully not too bad but does still have a few bad bits. It failed the MOT some time ago and has been sat in a shed since. It's still plastered in mud underneath and that hasn't helped it one little bit sadly.

50McLXe.jpg

The top half of it isn't too bad which makes it worth saving I think as paint costs £££, running gear wise apparently it is very good and has been reasonably well looked after.

zhT3eNj.jpg

jTd0dnV.jpg

Some of it isn't too bad and an easy fix.

xYIzKFk.jpg

That bit not so much. The carpet is directly behind that so the seats will have to come out and cables etc fetching out the way or it'll be a very short project indeed.

lzdAI8H.jpg

That bit's the twat to do though  :shock: It's gone on the inside, inner and outside and detached itself from the rear suspension, bollox. The rear arch inner however is still very solid so thankfully there should* be something to attach it to.

I76ZH0R.jpg

TlTq2CZ.jpg

3gycKjI.jpg

I started off with the easy bits first which isn't something I normally like to do. However, the lift is currently in the way of the worst bit as I decided to jack it off structural points and not the sills, I'm sure you understand why. I can now lower the car and use these new solid points to re-lift it biasing it much further forward so as I can get at it better at the rear.

Sadly it's not looking good for this baby Scooby/Suzuki. I cut into it some more last night and even though I had given it a good stabbing with a large screwdriver previously it's worse than it looked. One of the main rear suspension mounts has had it  :? I don't know how far the owner want to go with it so I've asked them to take a look and decide.

The ZX 16v is also not quite playing ball. The garage that looked into it were looking into it but they were suggesting a dropped valve or one with some shit stuck behind it. Now I've heard this thing running absolutely sweet previously so I suggested my mate oik it back off them asap before they start taking the engine apart! Basically it's intermittently playing up, not totally surprising after it's done 3 miles in the last 8 years?

This engine runs an ACAV system which by all accounts play up if not setup right or has vacuum leaks. This hopefully explains the fluffy throttle and lack of power between 3K-4.5K? Just hoping it's not a split diaphragm in one of the actuators because I can't imagine they are in plentiful supply any more.

Shame about the crusty Justy. I welded up the underside of one, it was nowhere near as bad as that one, and it took a lot of patching up. I must say I thought "that looks BAD" when I first saw your pics. Sadly that's what kills 'em. Other than that, they're great. If anyone is gonna save it, it's you. 

If not, stick it on eBay, someone else can have a play, even if it's just kids ragging it around a farm until the suspension arms fall off.

I'm just not sure how far he wants to go with it, not heard anything back today either. It's not my ramp and is in fairly regular use, once wheels and suspension parts start getting taken off and it's into major surgery it can't be quickly rolled off the ramp. I'm annoyed tbh as I gave that area a pretty good going over and it still seemed solid enough. As you look inside it now though the metal inside is all laminated and probably tripled in thickness to what it was originally.

Slightly better news with the ZX. It's still got a bit of a miss-fire but we managed to find a vacuum pipe that was not attached as the end had split and after looking closer at the  ACAV actuators we saw that one of the ball sockets wasn't even clipped on. There was enough slack in one of the vacuum pipes to cut it and use the leftover piece to replace the other bit too. Basically the ACAV system is now working and it cost nothing to fix it  :mrgreen: The flat spot has gone but it still doesn't seem to go as well as I thought it might. Next thing is to check the plugs are gapped properly and try swapping coil packs one at a time I think?

It still seems a bit flat though for a car with circa 150bhp that weighs less than 1200kg tbh  :?

Ok, so the Justy may still live on as it's not needed in a hurry. Does anyone know where I might find a sill for a Justy/Swift that is less than the £70 per side my mate found from Bulgaria?

I've found someone local who knows a bit about the ZX/S16 engine so will hopefully catch up with them in the week. Current plan is to ditch the new aftermarket cat that was put on for the mot as I think it is strangling it (athough I didn't actually see the part before it was fitted) and replace the K and N someone has put on it. It'd be nice to put an original airbox back on but I think the chances of finding one of those are remote.

No problem, hope they can help you out. Me and my brother have used them 3 times now in the last few years. They can usually get most parts within a week as they only keep a small amount in stock as it's a small unit. So well worth calling them up first.

We took a drive over to Malvern for the one set of panels in my Cavalier, it wasn't a bad way of spending a Sat morning plus there a Sandwich Van nearby so scored a Bacon Sandwich!

Edit as I sent the message before I'd finished. Ruddy phone.

No problem, hope they can help you out. Me and my brother have used them 3 times now in the last few years. They can usually get most parts within a week as they only keep a small amount in stock as it's a small unit. So well worth calling them up first.

We took a drive over to Malvern for the one set of panels in my Cavalier, it wasn't a bad way of spending a Sat morning plus there a Sandwich Van nearby so scored a Bacon Sandwich!

Edit as I sent the message before I'd finished. Ruddy phone.

Sills ordered for £75 quid delivered  :mrgreen: That'll save me hours of fucking around trying to make those bits in front of the rear wheels and I'll be able to make a much better job of it all round thankyou. They haven't any in stock so I had to go for the posted option which is £20, they get penalised for the extra length on the sills, hey ho.

I knew I'd seen that Klokkerholm symbol before somewhere. I had a look at the previous Rusty Justy repair photos further back in this thread and they'd supplied the rear quarters I'd used! The car was bought with the panels supplied when bought from Station off here sold it to my mate so I hadn't twigged their origin.

Glad to hear they could help and it saved some money into the bargain. Be great to see the Justy saved, as I can't think of the last time I'd seen one on the road.

Must admit until my brother brought some Klokkerholm panels off them I hadn't heard of the brand before. It was either Hadrain Panels or Veng that I'd previously brought.

Think they have reduced some of the older model parts recently too. My brother brought a front Subframe off them last year and it's about £80 less than previously listed for now.

The rear quarters for the Mk1 Justy weren't absolutely spot on, I had to muck about with them a bit to get them to fit properly but overall they were pretty good. Fingers crossed these are ok. They are listed as being for the 5 door too which is an even bigger bonus. The ZX16v one I did was simply a section bent to the right shape, no forming for the doors or any other details.

I'm not sure how many of these are left tbh, there's one other one I've seen round here but that's it. I'd guess their numbers will fall pretty rapidly now too. A friend did have one a while back too but that was scrapped because of rot in the same area at the rear. I'm sure it'll finish a lot off.

I think like the original Panda 4x4 were round my way. As they got older people like Farmers brought them because of the 4wd to use them as cheap hacks, so just got run into the ground sadly.

Talking about Justy's has reminded me that my brother nearly brought a 87 E reg MK1 Justy 5dr for his first car out the local paper. It was back in about 99 and was up for about £275. The car was Metallic Light Green with blacked up sills which had been badly plated. Rear arches were all filler. An the lower tailgate had been covered in reflective red tape to try and hide that most of it was missing. Despite that I think it was the high insurance quote that put him off buying it.