The Cad I lack (in my life)

Uncle Jimmy

Some kinda Cadillac I saw in Sainsbury's car park, a not unattractive car.

Seville / STS. There's a similar one near my office. Think it had the V8 which was able to shut down two or four cylinders if stuck in traffic.

Was a lot of car for the money, but very limited sales (only through Guy Salmon dealerships) and depreciation was quite spectacular.

Transverse mounted V8 driving the front wheels, too!

I bet it's fun* to drive.

Jeremy Clarkson once tried it for Top Gear. I was suprised that, although he didn't really like the car, he didn't rubbish it to the same extent as with other cars. Maybe he was just pleased to see the Yanks having a go at the UK RHD market with something that actually looked half-decent.

Isn't this a 'lazy spotters item'?

Yes it is, but give a guy a break, eh?

STS stands for Seville Touring Sedan, so strictly speaking it can't be a "Seville STS" although that does seem to be how they are referred to in general.  Northern sales were handled by Bauer Millett in Manchester IIRC.

4.6 V8 Northstar, not the infamous 8-6-4 which was a different engine.  And yes, sadly, FWD, but transverse on this model rather than correctly-facing as seen in the FWD-only Eldorado since 1967.  I haven't driven one but I can imagine it being much like the Chevy Lumina and Mercury Sable I've previously owned; but better, because Cadillac.

Presumably this will get moved to the Lazy Spotters by the mods, so not exactly crime of the century .

Anyway I almost had an STS in a deal for a mental mileage e220 Merc, I was amazed how quick it felt and pleasantly surprised it wasn't the wallowfest I expected, just a bit big Audi like squirmy numbness.

The deal fell through when it was discovered 3 kids seats wouldn't fit across the Merc, they did in the Caddy. I was equal parts relieved and dissapointed.

Seville / STS. There's a similar one near my office. Think it had the V8 which was able to shut down two or four cylinders if stuck in traffic.

The 4.6 litre V8 Northstar engine is a pretty cool engine, literally. It can operate in a mode that allows it to work in an air-cooled way, if it loses its coolant. Four cylinders shut off alternatively each cycle to assist this and IIRC it can be driven many miles like this quite happily, if speed is restricted to 50mph. The USA didn't operate a nationwide recovery service in the 1990s in quite the same way as ours; the AAA will collect you but only tow your vehicle so many miles, according to the level of service you have purchased. Being able to limp home or to the place of your choice if you lost all your coolant in the New Mexico desert, say, would have been quite a good feature for the target audience of retired folk doing long distance touring.

My Cadillac ETC (Eldorado Touring Coupe) is the two door version of the STS. The engine is transverse and it is FWD. It goes just fine and make a nice noise. I get around 20mpg (UK) out of it on a run. The short wheelbase gives it a good turning circle and it has some neat tricks like front turning lights that operate with the indicators, so you can see what's around the corner. Modern cars have only just started to offer these with their front 'foglights'.

Inside the Cadillac is a lovely place to be, with nice leather armchairs and all the toys. These cars were new when I was working in the USA first of all and I really liked them then. It's very nice to be able to own one now, even if it's in the 'wrong' country!

Re. Japan, that was actually a popular marketplace for Cadillacs from new and they took the cars as LHD. The Cadillac ETC was not issued from the factory as RHD, although from research I have done, it appears that dealers in countries that had LHD restrictions were provided with all the parts to convert to RHD, which was then done in that destination country.

My car is an original Japanese-specification export model. It went from the USA to Japan when new in 1993 and was registered there in 1994. It then found its way here in 2008. I found its build ticket in the trunk and can see it was made on October 29th 1993, on the 6pm shift...

There is a great Japanese used car website where many more Cadillacs (and other cars) can be found for sale, here:

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/

Quick! Change the title to 'FWD CADDY LOVE' and all will be well.

I really like these. I think I need to try one.

If FWD Caddy Love is the new tittle for the thread I am surprised Mrs6C has not joined in with her Eldorado Touring Coupe!

A 4.6 Northstar transverse V8, better to drive than you might think and even managed the lanes for Shitefest 2014 Wales.

post-4787-0-75310400-1518538100_thumb.jpg

....Japan, that was actually a popular marketplace for Cadillacs from new and they took the cars as LHD....

The Japanese market took a fair number of non-Japanese cars as LHD, because LHD seen as more exotic. Even this one

If FWD Caddy Love is the new tittle for the thread I am surprised Mrs6C has not joined in with her Eldorado Touring Coupe!

Ah, but she has!

Cadillac Catera? Heard that they were not exactly reliable in a US context - something to do with the electronics / electrics.

Might have been better if they'd sent the Holden Commodores over in LHD instead; longer, wider car.

"The Caddy that zigs!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMUff04cjhY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f06pr7ziMFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3sm8DuRf5E

The Catera itself was probably OK, but from my memory, it didn't really match up well to any existing customer market segment at the time.

I remember the jaunty TV adverts for it and wondering at the time what the target audience for this was intended to be. It seemed that traditional existing Cadillac customers didn't revere anything that 'zigged', because that kind of driving style wasn't 'them'. Non-traditional prospective customers might have wanted the 'zig' but not a Cadillac, as the marque's brand image wasn't 'them' either...

I guess Cadillac had to start somewhere though, on its journey towards making the models that it offers today.

A front wheel drive, single camshaft, petrol V8 Cadillac has been on my list for a long time. An Eldorado 4.9 is probably the most realistic choice since dithering (because of convertible hate) lost a rare chance at a 4.9 Allante.