Swedish Tank no. 2 and Random Shite Disposal Update

The Old Bloke Next Door

I have owned a 940 saloon since 2005 which has fallen into disrepair.

Last week I gave it a thorough inspection with the view of returning it into use.

Needs an idle speed control valve, cam belt, four tyres, speedo, repair or replacement, headlight, side light, rear windscreen and a Mot.

Couldn't see much change out of £500 to cover the repairs so I had a browse on ebay, gumtree etc for another one.

Last night I saw this,

http://www.usedwalsall.co.uk/classified-ad/volvo-940-23-turbo-petrol-estate-mot-augaust-drives-perfect-_25864663

I thought it looked a steal at the asking price, and it was local. Arranged a viewing this morning and I now own it. 

Its absolutely brill and as a bonus its the same colour.

No collection thread, I was pushed for time and it was chucking it down when I viewed it.

The vendor is a dealer, so I suppose its a part ex or been bought round the block. I did to try to negotiate the price but he wouldn't move. 

Saw it late last night when I got back from the pub, had a look at recent ebay sold listings and it looked very cheap in comparison.

On closer inspection now its home, I can't find any faults. Drives great, no rattles, smooth gear change, no smoke, temperature correct, engine oil very clean, coolant at correct level, everything works, fantastic heater and over a quarter tank of fuel.

There's a few minor blemish's on the body work, a bit of wear on the drivers seat bolster and the cubby box lid is damaged. 

Overall I'm very pleased with it.

No collection thread, I was pushed for time and it was chucking it down when I viewed it.

The vendor is a dealer, so I suppose its a part ex or been bought round the block. I did to try to negotiate the price but he wouldn't move. 

Saw it late last night when I got back from the pub, had a look at recent ebay sold listings and it looked very cheap in comparison.

On closer inspection now its home, I can't find any faults. Drives great, no rattles, smooth gear change, no smoke, temperature correct, engine oil very clean, coolant at correct level, everything works, fantastic heater and over a quarter tank of fuel.

There's a few minor blemish's on the body work, a bit of wear on the drivers seat bolster and the cubby box lid is damaged. 

Overall I'm very pleased with it.

What did you expect? It's an old Volvo!

Looks a great car, should go on for ages yet too. It's amazing how much these old ovloV offer for virtually nothing money-wise.

Yes these old Volvo's are great, prices must be the cheapest ever at the moment, although I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it appears so far. 

I've just parked it on my drive which has a steep slope, no sign of clutch slip. Another added bonus its fitted with four newish Avon's.

I think an old Volvo car is as close as you can get to a Tank.

Yes still pinching myself at the price.

Checked in all the boot compartments, no rust or water, under the passenger seat found a screwed up A4 sheet of paper. It went through Manheim Birmingham on the 31st of January, a Listers trade vehicle.

Had a look on their site but I can't find any sold results.

• 3 months later...

Volvo quarterly update and newly acquired Freelander shite.

Volvo taxed  from start of March, been in use most days since. Done 1300 miles averaging 25 mpg local and one 240 mile round trip to Heysham Port averaged 38 mpg.

Running and driving very well, no issues at all so far apart from the horn housing bracket dissolving into rust. While I was attending to that I noticed the Lambda sensor wires have been cut. Not got round to reconnecting them yet.

Bought this yesterday,  http://www.usedwalsall.co.uk/classified-ad/land-rover-freelander-low-milege-12-month-mot-_26027200

Still got the prop shaft attached and is in very good condition for the age.

Due a cam belt urgently and sounds like a front wheel bearing or diff rumbling noise. 

Done the figure of 8 test and transmission seems ok, will be having a closer look this weekend.