Zafira A. *fuk this car*

Jim Bell

It should work on this car, cannot understand why not. Im going out later to do the same on mine, Ill check the procedure. The fact that the spanner light goes ouy however suggests that no codes are stored.

Odd how they work,them lights. Mates ran like crap with it out,ran ace with it on!

I know the brake check test works on early zafs y plate and 03 and 54 from ones I've seen. You need ignition key out and a firm shove on the brake pedal and throttle pedal. Then turn ignition on so it lights. You should have a pic of an engine and a pic of a car and spanner. It's the engine light itself that will flash for the numbers,large pause is start of next number.

Yup. Thats what I did man. Three times. No joy. Are you sure youve seen it work on ones with only the tiny little lcd display in the speedo like mine and not the big back lit centre display?

Not trying to be insulting, but just double checking. Did you have the ignition on when you tried code scanning?

That fusebox could be plausible location, due to being an MPV and everything squashed in. The Scenic II needed the windscreen wipers removing before you could get decent access to the engine.

Theres no stupid questions man, only stupid answers.

Yes, I had the key in and the ign on when was trying to scan. Plugged the scanner in, put ign on, pressed scanner button. Was I doing it wrong man? I did say I was a bit shit.

Question of the day: would the brake check trick work if the ecu had failed all together?

Would the scanner fail to connect if the ecu had failed all together?

Could these two results as shown above indicate an ecu failure?

Any other way to check the ecu to see if its doing anything at all or confirm that its in bolloxes..

Cheers for all the help and tips so far lads.

If the ecu is fucked I wouldn't have thought the brake thing would work... Is there voltage going to the ecu? (good luck finding the 12v wire though). Thinking back to all the scary Renner issues that have been on here that have been some stupid master fuse

Question of the day: would the brake check trick work if the ecu had failed all together?

Would the scanner fail to connect if the ecu had failed all together?

Could these two results as shown above indicate an ecu failure?

Any other way to check the ecu to see if its doing anything at all or confirm that its in bolloxes..

Cheers for all the help and tips so far lads.

iwould think

• no
  • yes
  • very possible
  • only by sustitution

can you get the ECU out easily to see if connectors look shitted up for instance

Yes I'm certain. It's not anything on the little mileometer that lights up,it's the amber engine light at bottom of rev counter. Sorry if you knew that already. The models I know it works on have been a y plate 1.6 comfort,03 plate 1.6 club,54 plate 2.0 dti elegance,05 dti trim level unknown.

If the ecu is fucked I wouldn't have thought the brake thing would work... Is there voltage going to the ecu? (good luck finding the 12v wire though). Thinking back to all the scary Renner issues that have been on here that have been some stupid master fuse

good point about a fuse- Montegos have F1(iirc) in the fuses which controls the ecu

All the above have also only had the small display which only shows clock and radio. Non had trip computer larger display. And it was engine light that flashed in correspondence to the numbers. For example 10 flashes long pause,1 flash long pause,2x10 flashes with pause in between p0400 egr valve was last I did.

AA dude said he checked power was getting to the ecu but no power after it an any of the points he checked.

Fucked if I would know where to start checking his work but I dunno why he would bother lying about summat like that.

Its quite nice sitting in this car in the quiet. I can even get wifi.

Be nicer if it worked though.

Its the spanner light that will flash. The engine light is only for emissions on these. Just did it on my Coupe there.

Cheers for checking man.

I think its safe to say that mine does not, and in as much as we are able to verify without substitution, the ECU is fucked like a lasagne dropped on a council house carpet.

Cheers for checking man.

I think its safe to say that mine does not, and in as much as we are able to verify without substitution, the ECU is fucked like a lasagne dropped on a council house carpet.

If its any consolation, the codes i found on mine point to the same thing.

Ok, tried method 2 three times and that doesnt work either.

Its worth mentioning that before all of this fuckery started, I DID used to get the little spanner of doom for a few seconds on start up. I presumed it was a SERVICE DUE light. I might speculate that its absence now, and the failure of anything to draw info from the ecu may inderd indicate that the ECU is cabbaged. Im gonna keep saying it till someone agrees with me.

I wonder if getting the ECU tested for hopefully not much monies would be useful, somewhere like this:

http://camcoautomotive.co.uk/ecu.html

They were recommended to me when we had electrickery problems on a car a few months back but I didn't use them in the end as the problem was an engine loom.

£12 sounds canny like. Unless thats what they charge you to tell you its fucked and that you need a new one.

Worth giving them a ring though. Ill get on to them tomorrow man, ta for the link.

Ok, tried method 2 three times and that doesnt work either.

Its worth mentioning that before all of this fuckery started, I DID used to get the little spanner of doom for a few seconds on start up. I presumed it was a SERVICE DUE light. I might speculate that its absence now, and the failure of anything to draw info from the ecu may inderd indicate that the ECU is cabbaged. Im gonna keep saying it till someone agrees with me.

Service due will show as 'insp' on the trip meter.

Only skimmed through this thread but, to recap:

- spanner light on dash isn't lighting with ignition on?

- RAC man says the sensors aren't getting 5v?

- RAC man also says the ECU is getting power fed to it?

- when it failed, it cut out dead?

If all the above are true then it's either that the RAC man checked the wrong pin to check if switched live is getting power or ECU is goosed internally. The first I'll double check (if I remember!) if there is a constant and a switch live. The second could be a broken wire inside, duff main regulator or something else. Cobblers maybe you man in knowing what it is and potentially fixing it too.