Zafira A. *fuk this car*

Jim Bell

I have no idea if this is still relevant, but someone who can't sign up (just like old times!) said:

he is looking in the wrong place when doing the pedal test on the zafira, he needs to look at the car with a spanner light, it flashes with a code if one is stored eg 1 flash then a pause then 6 flashes then a pause then 10 flashes pause 10 flashes would be code 6100

I don't even think the back seats in a Zafira are suitable for kids, BennyJp of this parish (Traffic sarge for plod) was dealing with the aftermath of one of these being rear ended on the A64, it was a fatal, the kids in the back are the crumple zone 

I have no idea if this is still relevant, but someone who can't sign up (just like old times!) said:

he is looking in the wrong place when doing the pedal test on the zafira, he needs to look at the car with a spanner light, it flashes with a code if one is stored eg 1 flash then a pause then 6 flashes then a pause then 10 flashes pause 10 flashes would be code 6100

It doesnt though? There are no lights anywhere on the dash, which flash a sequence. The normal dash lights come on and go off. Theres no spanner light or eml light even illuminating. Or am I missing something obvious?

Not dissing the rac/aa dude but a lot of them are very limited mechanics let alone diagnostics guru's. He'd most likely be reading a set of generic fault finding techniques rather than any real science on this car.

Right that out of the way these things are pretty easy to work on with that bulkhead removed (guess who changed the engine on his and find this out afterwards???). It's four M6 bolts (10mm socket four laymen) and pretty much pulls out then, really straightforward. That gives you access to the fusebox, have a quick look in there as there's a few important ones in there. Have you got a manual/handbook for it? I have and can copy any relevant pages for you on Wednesday when I'm back in work as my zaff doubles as weekday accommodation.

Ok so check that as usual, there's some big buggers in there as well so it's possible, I think your fan fuses are in there as well?

Next thing (assuming it's like a 2.2) is the engine multiplug, it sits from memory in the middle of the inlet manifold area, obviously double check that.

The AA man had power to the ECU eh? Or did he just put his meter from main ECU live to a normal/battery earth or did he check he had 12v between the ECU live and earth? Big difference as the ECU maybe getting a live and not a return, easily fixed but it would require a bit of electrickery wiring diagrams, these are well catered for online.

Also, an oft overlooked thing on these is a metal heatsink looking box on top of the inlet manifold that most likely theres a lot of wires going to. This is part of the immobiliser, it's the last line of defence between the ECU,key and getting the car to start. You may well need this bit as well if you swap the ECU out as it talks to the ECU as well as the key. It's simple to do, but not on a corsa b as it sits by the side of the gearbox, how do I know this? Ah yes, because I swapped an engine in one and it didn't work because of course the spare engine came with the wiring loom, it's a little silver thing with two looms going into it with metal flip connectors (it's coming back to me now!!!) and that's where interior loom meets engine loom, a good place to start.

EDIT this seems confusing reading it back, it's EXACTLY the same concept on the zafira, as I was writing it, it all came back to me. But it's not on the garlic, it's really easy to access from the top by the inlet manifold (on the z22se), I'm going it's the same on that. Also, does the LPG have it's own ECU? If so, check nothing nasty had happened there, something dragging the ECU voltage down to earth but I'm still going for a loose connection in that immobiliser area.

Never say never but I'm going to be very surprised if the ECU is the issue. In bought the replacement engine for this car from an Astra that had sat in a street for 3 months with no bonnet on it, I connected a booster pack the wrong way round on it as all the high tension wiring had been cut, after a few attempts of trying to start it I realised what is done wrong. Swapped a few connections about and she fired straight up and ran sweet. After swapping engines and that metal immobiliser thingy, it started great in my Zafira, obviously with a zafira ECU taking to an Astra ECU, made no odds, I've never touched it since.

You're a bit far away from me otherwise I'd call over one night and fix it for you as, sadly, I really like working on these cars, from a time when Vauxhall still cared about the home mechanic.

I don't even think the back seats in a Zafira are suitable for kids, BennyJp of this parish (Traffic sarge for plod) was dealing with the aftermath of one of these being rear ended on the A64, it was a fatal, the kids in the back are the crumple zone

I had an argument a couple of years ago with our insurance company over giving us a 5 seater car as a courtesy car for our zafira. They stated 'a zafira is a 5 seater car with 2 occasional seats, you have to go up a size in car for 7 seats!!'. I agreed that I occasionally carry an extra 2 children in the car.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

I had an argument a couple of years ago with our insurance company over giving us a 5 seater car as a courtesy car for our zafira. They stated 'a zafira is a 5 seater car with 2 occasional seats, you have to go up a size in car for 7 seats!!'. I agreed that I occasionally carry an extra 2 children in the car.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Slightly off topic but when the wife's scenic was written off a few years ago I specifically asked for a courtesy car with a towbar as we needed to pull our caravan.

They sent a diesel rav4 which would be ideal if it had a towbar.

They couldn't understand what the fuss was, "a rav4 is capable of towing xyz" yes but it has no towbar!

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Well, with the arrival of the Brown Trout , the Zafira has rather been forgotten about. Im keener on the E39 than I am the Zaff if Im honest and after a bit of soul searching Ive decided that this old bus will go.

For sale.

Vauxhall Zafira 1.8 16v with single point LPG conversion. Built in the year of our lord 2004.

Service history for the car and the lpg system. Car and LPG system last serviced March 2018.

MOT 05/03/19.

Sumptuous cloth interior.

Pas.

Ew.

Em.

AC.

Cd player.

Seven seats.

5 alloys with premium brand tyres.

5 steels with about 2 good tyres between them.

For last mot in March it had a whole new exhaust from the front pipe back, a new rear calliper, 2 brake pipes and a track rod and or ball joint I think.

It has a minor issue of currently not starting or running which is thought to be ecu failure. Or a fuse. The helpful folk of Autoshite and the Facebook Zafira Owners club are mostly in agreement that the car needs an ECU and transponder ring to get going. Or maybe a fuse.

I have not investigated further as I usually make things far worse when attempting even the most basic vehicle related tasks. See my life up until this point for full details.

The privet plate will be removed before sale.

Located North East England. NE34.

Taxed and insured to er, be pushed or towed away.

OPCOM is about 20 quid off flea bay and may* be worth it. It certainly sorted out Mrs BMH's Agila when the ECU failed. Thing to remember though is that you'll probably need the original Pauxhall security codes for the car to be able to reprogram the new ECU. I had to go to the local pain dealers with log book and proof of who I was before they fleeced me for some ridiculous amount of dosh just because they could.

Is the gas factory fit? If so it will be multi point injection and light years ahead of an old single point system.

No its not a factory system man. As I said its single point. It was done not long after new by the first owner. The lad that services the lpg reckoned the factory conversions were usually a lot more bother and though a bit more crude, the system thats on is the far more reliable option. He said he preffers it anyway. Other opinions may differ!

Bit late to the party here, but have a very early Zafira A 1.6 Comfort.

Model was introduced March 1999 (I think) and this one registered May 1999.

Possibly the oldest one still on the road (unless anyone knows different).

Interested to read about the flash the fault codes technique as I have used a similar method previously on a Corsa B.

Car is running fine but tried it anyway.

Tried several times but doesn't work.

Just the normal dash lights illiuminate.

Either this does not work on very early models, or it does not blink if there are no fault codes.

I wouldn't necessarily take the lack of flashing light as indicative of ECU failure.

I also have OBD interface and software which I have used previously on the Corsa, using XP, but couldn't get it to recognise the interface on Windows 10. Noted that someone on this thread says works on XP only.

Will try again on XP when (if) I can dig out an old working XP laptop.

• 2 weeks later...