Buses or coach as a home.

SherpaMog

A 1976 AEC Reliance should be a bit of a flying machine. Didn't they have a 12-litre engine by then?

760 cubic inch of AEC's finest and a Plaxtons body could get you into serious trouble with the plod if you really wanted to let it fly. I started my psv career driving these for National in the late 70's, you really didn't need that 6th gear to keep them above 70 on the M1 down to London. Mind you, they can do a damm good impression of a kettle.

Bedford VAL once restored properly will probably be worth a pretty penny though - The last couple I looked at sold for silly money anyway.

Only had a brief shot of one, but it was a lovely thing to drive.  Not massively quick in the way some of the AECs or bigger engined Bristols (I had a shot of an RE based coach once which was quite capable of pegging the speedo against the bottom of the surround), but was quite capable of keeping moving at a reasonable pace.

They do look lovely too.

Reckon he'll probably enjoy the work.  Probably a good project to be able to just keep working away at bit by bit if you've got the space and the gear to lift things that heavy.