'Inbetweener' Cars / Imminant future shite/classics

Matt

All Rovers and MGs I reckon, Dead company = future desirability. 

A bit like how an artist's work rockets in vale when they die.

Plus, they are slowly thinning in numbers.

Saab too if my theory is correct.

Rovers yes. I'm beginning to see some very cherished hotter versions in the ritzier parts of London - and as the BL era gets forgotten the "Rover" name is getting kudos from Landrover as it moves up and up-market. RX8 are looking good - a bit like the early ZX's there will go up I think in people's estimation.

It all depends, the mk2 Mondeo is becoming a scarce motor (unless you live in somerset) but I wouldn't be putting a £450 clutch in it if it went. I'd break it.

I've done this before and chucked money at cars refurbishing them and its been a waste of time and money, sometimes you are better putting the money into another car when its causing problems rather than letting sentiment cloud your judgement. On the other hand if everyone thought like me there would be even fewer left on the road.

MG maybe not as much as brand is diluted by some horrible vehicles coming out of China - seen their latest '4x4'?

I had totally forgot that MG were still pumping out cars when I wrote my post!

Those chinese ones may very well taint the image of the older stock.

That being said, I could still see MGF/TFs and possibly ZR/ZS/ZTs being classics.

The value of early Citroen C5s is currently flat on it's arse. A blown headlamp will write one off and I haven't seen one in a while, so if there realistically is any chance they will appreciate in value, now's the time to grab one.

..Except I just can't see them coming up in value. BX's are just about now climbing in value for a good one, although you can still get a £300 snotter if you look for a while. Xantia prices are all but flat with the exception of rarities like V6 and Activa models, and I can't see that changing for at least another 10-15 years, so quite how C5 prices are going to rise, I'm not sure.

It seems that the age a car has to get to before it's value starts to appreciate is getting longer. It used to be around 25-30 years for a car to start to become vauable. Seems like nearer 40 years now.

1. Wait a minute...pedant alert...this thread applies to French cars only.. British ones are imminent surely 

Not many French cars will be future classics.

Maybe the fast Clios will, possibly also the hotter Saxos, but most of the 'cooking' stuff will be shit-canned. And good riddance to it.

Ditto MG / Rover stuff.

Not many French cars will be future classics.

Maybe the fast Clios will, possibly also the hotter Saxos, but most of the 'cooking' stuff will be shit-canned. And good riddance to it.

AXs are already beginning to make money that I never thought they would, even the more boring models. Ditto 205s and some 309 models. Saxo VTR/VTS also seem to be holding their head above the scrap-mans gas-axe and look ready to rise in value.

I was also stunned to see how valuable 405's have become. Prices aren't exactly "high", but what was a £50 shitter not too many years ago seems to now be a £500 car, and a decent one is a grand.

Is this about what cars are just dissappearing and likely to be around in very few numbers or ones that will will be worth* something?

We all know the obvious stuff like the Fords and some VWs will go down then up (when was the last time you saw a Lupo or Fox) but there's always the stuff that's hanging about and never really appreciates but then also isn't seen as classic*

They sold thousands of Scenics and Picassos but is anyone bothered about saving them? The 106 seems to have totally gone and only survives as the Saxo due to the massive amount sold.

Bizarrely the 1996-2002 Fiesta. Rot is killing them off at a heck of a rate and it's quite easy to find an OK looking Zetec or Ghia for less than £500.

You know they are going to be run on a shoestring until the wishbone bushes or corrosion sends them off to the washing machine factory in the Eastern sky.

Having had one I can say that they drive brilliantly, are cheap to service, and are pretty practical. Folk moan about the lack of interior space but if you need to transport four adults and their luggage you would buy something else.

I can see these becoming worth saving, particularly the last of the Dagenham-built cars. 

Except for 5 door Ghia spec models in metallic green.   Won't be able to give those away soon.