'Inbetweener' Cars / Imminant future shite/classics

Matt

Stroller113's thread about possibly refurbishing their 2005 Ford C-Max has got me thinking about the phrase 'inbetweener car' they used. As we know the value of most models is like an upside bell curve going down for about 20 years before slowly increasing. I'm sure a few people here remember when cars like the MGB and Mini's were simply old cars with little value or when cars like the Datsun 120Y actually existed in this country.

This thread is for cars that are in that stage of their life right now; bottom of their depreciation curve, not modern but not rare enough for people to think 'blimey I remember those'. Between modern and classic/shite (why I posted it in the open forum).

So what cars in this part of their life cycle do you own, want to own, think will be shite/classics or want to see preserved?

This thing for example. Looking at sold listings on eBay there are 18 and with the exception of one that sold for just under £4k the average price is a hair over £500. A lot of people will call them hideous but you can't deny that they are distinctive and unique. Sounds like a solid collector car, on paper at least. From what I've seen of old reviews they don't sound like bad cars either.

Fiat%20Multipla%20(15).jpg

I'm sure a few people here remember ..... when cars like the Datsun 120Y actually existed in this country.

I owned one!  Spring of 1986, it was 11 years old and already down to scrap value (the only way I could ever own most of my cars).  WYR 574N.

Nowadays I can't see much modern stuff surviving; it simply isn't designed to.  Now that I've owned them I can nominate the post-SD1 big Rovers though.  None of them are worth much, yet, but they will be one day, and rightly so.

Nowadays I can't see much modern stuff surviving; it simply isn't designed to.

I don't really agree with that. The equivalent of your 11 year old Datsun in 1986 is a 2007 car this year. Go ahead and find me a 2007 Nissan 350Z that is worth scrap money.

The equivalent of your 350Z would be a 240Z, not a 120Y.  The Z, of course, would lead the market then as now.  A much better comparison would be my 2007 Chevy Tacuma.  Anything expensive goes wrong with that and it's toast.

I've said it before, but the Series 1 Laguna has been damn near worthless for a long time - and I've noticed that they've shifted category from 'still fairly common' to 'ain't seen another one for weeks' over the last eighteen months or so. Yet they're roomy, comfortable and capable cars (and I reckon pretty stylish).

With the oldest survivors hitting their 24th birthday this year, maybe that's not surprising... but I reckon there's bargains still to be had. Although KGF are now trying it on with low mileage valet victims for ££££, good solid ex-giffer examples can be picked up for buttons in the classifieds. But be quick before they do a R21 and just vanish completely...

post-17915-0-30022600-1518401522_thumb.jpg

My own car! There is virtually bugger all following for these around the world. There is the Geo Metro Forum and the Team Swift forum but both are pretty quiet and North American centric. Europe? Hardly anyone cares. Lacking in refinement but reliable and fuel efficient. I have alerts from eBay, Auto Trader and Gumtree for whenever a new one comes up for sale which is only once every three days or so. Not very special though so I suspect that these are quickly approaching the point of near extinction in the UK.

36363265336_3821ecb25f_b.jpg

A Wet Dalveen Pass / A702 by Matt S, on Flickr

Ive always been a fan of the above what are they like to drive? I always imagine them being quite free revving and shit as opposed to say an utterly glacial 1.0 corsa?

I even like the modern ones ffs and i feckin HATE new cars, The only one in your shape i see still is a pogweaseled one and it seems to get fraped! Guys a maniac! 

This thing for example. Looking at sold listings on eBay there are 18 and with the exception of one that sold for just under £4k the average price is a hair over £500. A lot of people will call them hideous but you can't deny that they are distinctive and unique. Sounds like a solid collector car, on paper at least. From what I've seen of old reviews they don't sound like bad cars either.

Fiat%20Multipla%20(15).jpg

Not a bad car at all. Especially compared to modern shite that is massive outside and tiny inside like BMW X4.

My own car! There is virtually bugger all following for these around the world. There is the Geo Metro Forum and the Team Swift forum but both are pretty quiet and North American centric. Europe? Hardly anyone cares. Lacking in refinement but reliable and fuel efficient. I have alerts from eBay, Auto Trader and Gumtree for whenever a new one comes up for sale which is only once every three days or so. Not very special though so I suspect that these are quickly approaching the point of near extinction in the UK.

36363265336_3821ecb25f_b.jpg

A Wet Dalveen Pass / A702 by Matt S, on Flickr

This is mine. One old giffer owner, 50k miles, history, dealer trade car £300 well spent. Absolutely love it. Goes well, comfortable and doesn't use much juice. Can't fault it. Makes nice noise too IMHO.

post-25231-0-04320700-1518419850_thumb.jpg

Ive always been a fan of the above what are they like to drive? I always imagine them being quite free revving and shit as opposed to say an utterly glacial 1.0 corsa?

I even like the modern ones ffs and i feckin HATE new cars, The only one in your shape i see still is a pogweaseled one and it seems to get fraped! Guys a maniac! 

Mine goes like stink. Happy on motorway at 80mph, revvy and pulls remarkably well to say it's only rated at 50 BHP. Buy one before they all go.

I ran my 3potta 1.0 3dr when I did contracting, installing corner shop energy top-up boxes all over the place, and it was GR9 :)

.... MiNi850 stylee 'carry speed through corner' helming + carpet crush throttle!!

Genuinely a HOOT m8

*never FTP

TS

Bizarrely the 1996-2002 Fiesta. Rot is killing them off at a heck of a rate and it's quite easy to find an OK looking Zetec or Ghia for less than £500.

You know they are going to be run on a shoestring until the wishbone bushes or corrosion sends them off to the washing machine factory in the Eastern sky.

Having had one I can say that they drive brilliantly, are cheap to service, and are pretty practical. Folk moan about the lack of interior space but if you need to transport four adults and their luggage you would buy something else.

In fact any Ford of this era is worth saving. I will throw in another vote for the Puma and also add the KA.

Mk1 Puntos, early Clios, and any Pov spec Renault 5 are worth saving.