Pela pumps for oil changes.

Jewel25

Thanks for the replies. Im sure removing the filter will still be a PITA . How difficult is it to access on a 2007 MK1 2.0 Mazda 6?

Easy to access after removing the under tray, the oil filter is mounted vertically at the bottom of the engine (if the engine is the same as the 2.0 petrol in my 2007 Mazda 3)

• 2 weeks later...

Was inspired by this thread to go and get me one of these gizmos. Here it it is in an XXX rated action shot:

post-3133-0-20720500-1518977368_thumb.jpg

Had to jack the car up to get the last of the oil out but was doing that anyhow to get to the filter so no harm done and I managed not to make a mess over the driveway whilst draining the car so absolutely bob on. Normally the oil will over/undershoot the drain pan by several inches when I first take out the plug no matter where I put it. This method didn't even leave a drop on the driveway. A seal if approval from Mrs Imp.

Sadly, I then managed to get a sizeable amount of oil on the drive when I knocked over the old filter as I was screwing on the new one. A sensible person would've put it in the drain pan so it wouldn't matter if it fell over but oh no, not me lets just balance it precariously somewhere its likely to get knocked over, yeah that seems a much better idea.

So the verdict is that Pela is a good clean way of getting the oil out but I'm still a ham fisted oaf.

I bought the Silverline knockoff version of the Pela pump this week and used it to get transmission fluid out of my XJ40. Slow, but worked a treat. I opted to use some 5 mm hard plastic tubing which should get down most dipsticks. Cleanup is not an issue for this as the pump does touch any liquids, just empty the bowl and try and clear the pipes when you're done.

I think I should get one of those pumps, not that I'll cease opening sump plugs, I quite like watching oil drain, enjoy watching the swirling metallic patterns and the lumpy bits swept out with the flow while pondering if they're bits of bearing, instant gasket, valve collets? No, I could use one for when I overfill an engine, I don't know why but I can't ever get it just on the max line, always a 1/4'' minimum bastard over, even when I worked in main dealers on the same boring shit over and over using a dispenser with a gauge, fucking pint of oil hides in the rocker cover or somewhere waiting for me to turn my back. Fuck dipsticks, why can't engines have level plugs like gearboxes?

Some engines are twats for that - the 1.7 diesel used in Vauxhall and hondas for example .

My method is - slacken oil filter . Drain oil . Replace filter and refill with oil . I only put in about 1/2 to 1 litre less than spec ( enough to go just over the min )

Road test and get it nice and warm , come back and let it drain down while you do paperwork/ have tea / tidy up tools . Some seem to need about 30 mins to drain back

I'm tempted to get one for doing the trans oil on the Peugeot, and subsequent interim oil changes. I could go round the old boys and drain the oil straight into his old iveco van.

It once drank 3/4 of a tank of petrol without so much as batting an eyelid, so a few litres of oil wouldn't cause any problems.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a Lidl electric one. Was going to buy a manual one from Amazon but the Lidl one was even cheaper than the cheapest one there. That might be a reason! Specified flow rate is low and it might take a while but we’ll see. Today was the last day they’re going to be in my local one and for £13 I might have won or bought something loud, electrical and fun anyway...

Just bought a Lidl electric one. Was going to buy a manual one from Amazon but the Lidl one was even cheaper than the cheapest one there. That might be a reason! Specified flow rate is low and it might take a while but we’ll see. Today was the last day they’re going to be in my local one and for £13 I might have won or bought something loud, electrical and fun anyway...

From memory the one thing I did with that one (assuming it's the same one that Aldi had in) was ditch the original pickup pipe. I couldn't get a decent air tight seal on it which meant it took forever to pull through anything vaguely thick. I just stuck on a length of fuel hose with a proper hose clip, then joined that on to a bit of 10mm copper microbore heating pipe that's my pickup pipe.

Bit big for some dipstick tubes, but fine for what I use it for 99% of the time here (which is usually putting gearbox oil into things so feeding from a bottle). Before that all it could deliver with EP90 was froth.

From memory the one thing I did with that one (assuming it's the same one that Aldi had in) was ditch the original pickup pipe. I couldn't get a decent air tight seal on it which meant it took forever to pull through anything vaguely thick. I just stuck on a length of fuel hose with a proper hose clip, then joined that on to a bit of 10mm copper microbore heating pipe that's my pickup pipe.

Bit big for some dipstick tubes, but fine for what I use it for 99% of the time here (which is usually putting gearbox oil into things so feeding from a bottle). Before that all it could deliver with EP90 was froth.

Cheers! Need to procure oil, filters, etc. anyhow. Will bear that in mind.

• 3 weeks later...